PDA

View Full Version : New AI car is coming...

98banana
04-07-2003, 05:22 PM
I've been talking with Jim Pantas today and I think I have found my next race car. I'll submit pictures later.

I've already called Griggs and spent some money! :thumbsup:

SIUNARA
04-07-2003, 05:31 PM
Awesome news Tom...can't wait to see you mix it up with the rest of the crew!! Keep us posted!!:D :thumbsup:

COBRA #17
04-07-2003, 06:03 PM
How come you are the only one down south that has sense enough to run Griggs ? :D I was affraid the Maximum guys were going to start ganging up on me!!!

Anyway glad to see you going in the right direction!!! I knew if you came to the track enough you couldn't stand it !!! :thumbsup:

AI EAST Asst Director
COBRA #17

johnbasf
04-07-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by COBRA #17
How come you are the only one down south that has sense enough to run Griggs ? :D I was affraid the Maximum guys were going to start ganging up on me!!!

Anyway glad to see you going in the right direction!!! I knew if you came to the track enough you couldn't stand it !!! :thumbsup:

AI EAST Asst Director
COBRA #17

I think your happy because he'll be running the slow stuff.:D Thanks for you help this weekend James. It was nice to see Amy again too!;) Congrats on the win.

johnbasf
04-07-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by 98banana
I've been talking with Jim Pantas today and I think I have found my next race car. I'll submit pictures later.

I've already called Griggs and spent some money! :thumbsup:

HELL YA!!!!!!! Are you still going to be my sponsor?? :D Let me know when Tom.

98banana
04-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by COBRA #17

AI EAST Asst Director
COBRA #17

I keep telling John to think how much faster he would be if he had Griggs stuff! :thumbsup:

Griggs has been pretty good to me and I think I had a pretty darn fast car before, so I may as well stick with what I know works. Like I told somebody on Sunday though... if somebody came up to me and "forced" me to run MM stuff, I wouldn't mind one bit.

98banana
04-07-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
HELL YA!!!!!!! Are you still going to be my sponsor?? :D Let me know when Tom.

I just went to the "supermarket" and the cage tubing will be in on Thursday. Jimmy and I will be stripping what's left to be stripped out of the car this weekend, then I'll start with the Frame kit and cage on the following weekend.

I've got some really good ideas on the cage using a bunch of ideas from other AI cages. Should be pretty cool when done.

I also have been talking with Kevin McEvoy here in Columbia that will be doing the painting for me. I won't say what color it will be, but it won't be Yellow. :D

SIUNARA
04-07-2003, 08:29 PM
When you say stripping the rest of the car...would that be a fox body or an SN-95 car??? I have to at least know that part!! ;)

98banana
04-07-2003, 08:30 PM
Since I think the deal is finalized, here's a pic of the beauty:

Blown96Snake
04-07-2003, 09:16 PM
Tom-I wish I hadn't been so busy on Saturday with all the NASA stuff, I would really like to meet you. I see your posts on the board enough, but it looks like I will be able to meet you pretty soon.

Now, to the car...it looks a little rough, but I'm sure it will look good. Paint it bright like Hoover...so we can keep up with all the blurred paint jobs flying by!!!!!

John-Your car will look even better on a sunny day! haha

Congrats Tom and I look forward to meeting you. I'll be at every event with NASA-Va, its tough being an intern you know;)

Dave

Blown96Snake
04-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Oh yeah, Congrats to Hoover for his win on Sunday!!!

John, did you beat Shugg on Sunday??? It was like he wasn't even there....

Will, what happened dude, I hope the car is alright.

Later,
Dave

98banana
04-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Hey Dave. I'm sure the car will be seen pretty well. I was e-mailing the guy that's painting it and he says he's got just the right color for it. I told him the requirement is to be able to see the glow before the car comes around the corner. :D

As far as the shape of the car, the guy I'm buying it from says the car is straight. As long as I've got that, everything should be a cool from that point.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you as well. I'm going to try to make most of the AI races except for Beaverun so I'll probably see you soon.

SIUNARA
04-07-2003, 11:36 PM
I think you should run the car AS IS Tom!! Show those guys that you don't need a fancy paint job to kick some butt, you know!! ;) :D By the way, glad to see it's a fox!! :thumbsup:

johnbasf
04-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
I think you should run the car AS IS Tom!! Show those guys that you don't need a fancy paint job to kick some butt, you know!! ;) :D By the way, glad to see it's a fox!! :thumbsup:

I could say the same thing to you brake dust!!!!! :thumbsup: Get your butt out there.

racercosmo
04-08-2003, 03:08 AM
Good going Tom.

98banana
04-08-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by SIUNARA

Although that is quite tempting, I may decide to ho for sponsors at some point and I doubt anybody would want to put a sticker on a car that looks like that.

Plus, I need a bright color so all these other guys can see me coming just before I lap 'em. :D

Gosh, I've missed smack talking on this board... expect much more of that to come... :)

98banana
04-08-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by racercosmo
Good going Tom.

Thanks cosmo.

Hey, point Eric to this thread if you will, so he can see the car he just sold me the frame kit for.

SIUNARA
04-08-2003, 10:33 AM
I could say the same thing to you brake dust!!!!! Get your butt out there.

Easy now...patience John...patience!! ;)

Dean95CobraR
04-08-2003, 02:01 PM
That's great news Tom!! I've been kinda busy lately so I didn't see this thread right away.

I guess I'll see you at Summit Point!:thumbsup:

98banana
04-08-2003, 02:31 PM
If you're talking about the Summit Point event in September, then I should make that one. I doubt I'll make the June one.

Did you get your car finished?

Dean95CobraR
04-08-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 98banana
If you're talking about the Summit Point event in September, then I should make that one. I doubt I'll make the June one.

Did you get your car finished?

Hmmmm, I doubt I will make the September one. I was hoping you were really going to kick some azz and make the June event. ;)

Nope, I didn't make the first race. :( I don't have much more to do though. I should make the BR race easily. Hopefully I can get a few track days up at Gingerman before then too.:thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake
04-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Glad you found a car Tom. Was good to see you again at CMP. It's been a while. Guess you scratched the "body in white" scenario. I still need to get up with you about putting a 4pt cage in. If I can talk the wife into letting me go ahead and get some seats, I'll try to do all that at the same time while I've got everything apart. I'll be in contact soon, and let me know if you need any help with the new car. My busy season here at work is coming to an end here in about a month, so I'll have time to help. I'm only an hour away.

Craig

98banana
04-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by 2KWhiteSnake
Glad you found a car Tom. Was good to see you again at CMP. It's been a while. Guess you scratched the "body in white" scenario. I still need to get up with you about putting a 4pt cage in. If I can talk the wife into letting me go ahead and get some seats, I'll try to do all that at the same time while I've got everything apart. I'll be in contact soon, and let me know if you need any help with the new car. My busy season here at work is coming to an end here in about a month, so I'll have time to help. I'm only an hour away.

Craig

Hey Craig. Good to see you again too. I scratched the "body in white" idea when I did the math and ended up saving about $2000 on the fox body scenario.

We should be able to build a 4-point in a day. We can make it a bolt in or weld in, whichever you want.

I'll give a shout when I get going real good with the car. :thumbsup:

b_tone
04-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Tom, that's great news but for all the effort and money you should really buy my car and take advantage of what Pearson and Smeltzer missed out on...I can even deliver it to Beaver Run in a month fully sorted and ready to go.......

BT

98banana
04-08-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by b_tone
Tom, that's great news but for all the effort and money you should really buy my car and take advantage of what Pearson and Smeltzer missed out on...I can even deliver it to Beaver Run in a month fully sorted and ready to go.......

BT

It's a deal if you can give me the same price that Pantas is giving me. :D

No, seriously, 50% of the fun for me is actually building the thing. I'm actually looking more forward to starting work on it this weekend then the first race it'll be in.

johnbasf
04-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by b_tone

BT

I believe you never really wanted to sell because I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Dean just...... oh well.

97whitevert
04-08-2003, 11:43 PM
Way to go Tom!! Glad too to see its a fox- looks like mine, but different;)
Can't wait to have someone else to cheer for!:bounce:

wildhorsesracin
04-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Congrats Tom!

Remember to NEVER tell anyone where my secret 'stash' of Mustangs are... especially the Chihuahua

Keep us posted (and let me know if you need anything more) - it'll be awesome having you back out there

<smacktalk on> too bad you are not running MM stuff, hopefully you won't mind running behind us... ;) ;) </smacktalk off>

98banana
04-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by wildhorsesracin
Congrats Tom!

Remember to NEVER tell anyone where my secret 'stash' of Mustangs are... especially the Chihuahua

Keep us posted (and let me know if you need anything more) - it'll be awesome having you back out there

<smacktalk on> too bad you are not running MM stuff, hopefully you won't mind running behind us... ;) ;) </smacktalk off>

Yeah, I've decided to take the roll cage tubing back and do the Chihuahua interior instead. :D