PDA

View Full Version : Enjoyed spanking some more mustangs


timz06
04-07-2003, 09:30 PM
Last weekend.

Had a great time, but the CRMC did not do as good as a job organizing the event as the SVT club. A lot of track time was wasted on a bogus track walk, and letting kids circle around in crown vics.

I almost lapped Craig the last session, but he pulled into the pits, claiming he ran out of gas!

Andy M
04-07-2003, 11:17 PM
where exactly was this event? I assume it was open track?, or was it Autocross?

The Z06 is one helluva track car for sure! However, if we could put our Cobra R's on a strict diet, I think things would become more interesting?? ;) We weigh in at almost 600 pounds heavier. I usually stay with the Z06's at TWS in College Station on the straights, but they eventually pull away from me in the turns. I just had to get used to it as this is just reality.

The R sure is fun to drive around a road course though! :D

timz06
04-07-2003, 11:25 PM
HI it was at cmp, no Cobra R's around! I have to admit I did get passed by a mustang race car, my only pass of the day, he let me by the next lap.

I actually thought the cobra R was faster on track than the z06, I have the road and track (or C&D whatever) with the cobra R, z06, and viper. Great story, 2001, the cobra R had the fastest track time. That cobra was laying down about 385 rwhp and the z06 only puts down about 340 or so, so more power, and more of a track car. How much does your car weigh?

timz06
04-07-2003, 11:27 PM
BTW the main intent of this thread was to say what a great job your club did putting on the event at CMP 2 weeks before. I met a lot of new friends there, so a lot of people now know me here. That's why I left out some critical info!

timz06
04-07-2003, 11:34 PM
I found the article, motor trend actually lap times at waterford hills?
cobra 1:17.98
z06 1;19:59
VIPER 1:21:40

COBRA hp 385, observed 376! I think that car is a bit underrated!

weight z06 3115
cobra 3590
viper 3440

johnbasf
04-08-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by timz06
BTW the main intent of this thread was to say what a great job your club did putting on the event at CMP 2 weeks before. I met a lot of new friends there, so a lot of people now know me here. That's why I left out some critical info!

Thanks Tim. I think there will be a few Mustangs out there with you next spring. :D :D

Phat-S
04-08-2003, 12:22 AM
mmm so tempting ;)

Tim et al, if you are interested in some fun at CMP, Tarheel Sports Car Club puts on a Time Trial/Driver's School every year in October - basically drivers school from 8:00-3:00, TT from 3:00 to whenever. It's a very fun event and if you want to get some timed laps under your belt and see how you stack up vs. cars in your class (Z06 is A or B Stock?) I highly recommend it.

Not affiliated w/ THSCC but I must admit its a very fun weekend.

Big Daddy
04-08-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Thanks Tim. I think there will be a few Mustangs out there with you next spring. :D :D

Hey John isn't there another NASA event at CMP this year?? Maybe Tim can make that one?? :D ;) ;)

johnbasf
04-08-2003, 01:24 AM
Sept 20-21

Big Daddy
04-08-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Sept 20-21

Yep it's on MY calendar! I won't miss that one! :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Andy M
04-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by timz06
HI it was at cmp, no Cobra R's around! I have to admit I did get passed by a mustang race car, my only pass of the day, he let me by the next lap.

I actually thought the cobra R was faster on track than the z06, I have the road and track (or C&D whatever) with the cobra R, z06, and viper. Great story, 2001, the cobra R had the fastest track time. That cobra was laying down about 385 rwhp and the z06 only puts down about 340 or so, so more power, and more of a track car. How much does your car weigh? The 2000 R weighs (stock from factory) 3590 pounds. Additionally, I have a full 6 point roll cage constructed of DOM steel (1.75" X .120 mil) and I figure that and other goodies inside the car raise the overall weight to about 3700 or so. Then of course you add my lard a$$ and it comes to about 3940 or so... give or take a couple of pounds.

My car has been dyno'd at 375 hp and 380 torque at the rear wheels...so it is about 425 or so at the crank.

On any given Sunday, a Z06 and a Cobra R will run pretty close depending on driver skills. However, given identical drivers (if this were possible?), I give the nod to the Z06 simply because of its weight (or lack thereof) advantage. Both are very capable track cars though. And of course the Z06 is also better suited to daily driving. But, the Cobra R wins in the "coolness" category, because it is so radical in its presentation and there are only 300. Most people out there don't know a Z06 from a normal C5. But they can damn sure tell the difference between a Cobra R and a Cobra, even if they don't know what the car really is.

Do you track your Z06 much?

98banana
04-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Andy M
The 2000 R weighs (stock from factory) 3590 pounds. Additionally, I have a full 6 point roll cage constructed of DOM steel (1.75" X .120 mil) and I figure that and other goodies inside the car raise the overall weight to about 3700 or so. Then of course you add my lard a$$ and it comes to about 3940 or so... give or take a couple of pounds.
...

Hey Andy, bring that Cobra R down to Columbia, SC and John Pearson and I will do a little Lewisizing on that thing. We can get it down to about 3000-3200 lbs. Easy. :D

98BlueVert
04-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Andy, I'd stay as far away from those 2 guys as possible with you car. !!!!!!! :D :D

Tom, a buddy of mine has a yellow 98 for sale. about 50k miles. it's a coupe though

98banana
04-08-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by 98BlueVert
Andy, I'd stay as far away from those 2 guys as possible with you car. !!!!!!! :D :D

You know that offer is for you also Todd... :D I love the smell of blue paint when it's being cut and welded on.

Originally posted by 98BlueVert
Tom, a buddy of mine has a yellow 98 for sale. about 50k miles. it's a coupe though

Sounds nice, but I'm not in the market for a drivable car right now. I just need the shell.

2KWhiteSnake
04-08-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by timz06
Last weekend.

Had a great time, but the CRMC did not do as good as a job organizing the event as the SVT club. A lot of track time was wasted on a bogus track walk, and letting kids circle around in crown vics.

I almost lapped Craig the last session, but he pulled into the pits, claiming he ran out of gas!

Heyya Mr. Lake Swimming Frog Killer! The ZO6 was running nice out there. And yep, my gas light came on between 7 and 8 again, so I limped it on in. The CRMC event did not include near as much track time as the SCMC event, and Sunday was irritating with the 1 hour delay, and B group not even getting to go out until after lunch. I could have slept in til 11 :) Track walk took 45 minutes of the 1 hour touring session. I do have to say, I learned a ton from my instructor this time, which made it worth it. PCA is doing an event at CMP the end of the month. I think I might be doing that one too.

Let me know when you're coming back up Tim.

Craig

cobrabitn
04-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Sept 20-21

Y'all need to get off that CMP thing and go do other tracks. September 20-21, 2003 is our Gingerman event. :mad:

BTW TimZ06,

All compliments are gladly accepted! :thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake
04-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Y'all need to get off that CMP thing and go do other tracks. September 20-21, 2003 is our Gingerman event. :mad:

BTW TimZ06,

All compliments are gladly accepted! :thumbsup:

Yeah, gonna do North Course VIR in August, but can't pass up an opportunity for more seat time. And so close to home! :p

Actually, there is a FULL course VIR HPDE at the end of April with the Audi club. Thing is, it's on a Monday and Tuesday. Only cost $200 I think. Wish I could get out of work to do that one.

Craig

Andy M
04-08-2003, 03:09 PM
My goal (besides having a ton of fun!!) with the R is to visit a new and different track at least once per year. Last year I did two new tracks - Hallet and MidAmerica. So far this year, I am going to MSR in Dallas (a new one for me). By default (because I live so close) I will mostly be running open track at TWS in College Station. However, once the new track is open in a couple of years (south of Houston) we will have another one to visit besides TWS.

Joe and I want to run at either VIR or some other east coast track next year. Who knows, maybe we will make the trip to CMP?? It is about 1200 miles from Houston, but what the heck!

timz06
04-09-2003, 12:14 AM
Damn, I do have to have to admit I had a real south carolina experience! I did kill a frog with a .22 and I did fall into a lake that was about 1 ft deep!

2KWhiteSnake
04-09-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by timz06
Damn, I do have to have to admit I had a real south carolina experience! I did kill a frog with a .22 and I did fall into a lake that was about 1 ft deep!


Too funny Tim....Just too funny.

Craig :bounce:

Andy M
04-09-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by timz06
Damn, I do have to have to admit I had a real south carolina experience! I did kill a frog with a .22 and I did fall into a lake that was about 1 ft deep! LOL!!!! :rotf: