PDA

View Full Version : Green Banana progress...

98banana
04-12-2003, 08:32 PM
This will be the official thread for the progress of the new Green Banana. (Yes, it will be green. Mostly)

Day 1 went fabulously. We got a lot more done than we thought.

All I have left before starting with the subs, frame kit and roll cage is to gut the passenger side door and scrape up the sound deadener. I can get that done tomorrow.

See www.bananamotorsports.com for more...

johnbasf
04-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Man I hope you don't need that 1/4" rachet!! I did have it with me at CMP. :thumbsup: Looking good bud. I may be....... I'll call.

98banana
04-13-2003, 08:58 AM
LOL! That's probably the one tool I have 2 of... and I used it A LOT for all the little ground screws and brackets all over the car.

My hardware box from the banana and this car combined is probably up to about 40 lbs. now.

97whitevert
04-13-2003, 09:56 AM
I would say its looking good, but...... well its looking like a race car!:thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake
04-13-2003, 05:44 PM
Great Pics Tom....Keep the pics coming!

Craig

98banana
04-13-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by 2KWhiteSnake
Great Pics Tom....Keep the pics coming!

Craig

Okay. :)

I just got through with Day 2. I got all the sound deadener out and gutted the passenger door. I also found a rusted out hole in the floor that I'll patch while I put in the floor kit in a few days.

Check out my website for information on torsional stiffness. I had a wild hair to take a measurement after each step of the build up. I now have a baseline. It's about what I expected: FLIMSY!

www.bananamotorsports.com

racercosmo
04-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Nice shirt! I want one.

98banana
04-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by racercosmo
Nice shirt! I want one.

I hear they have a special on them right now! LOL!

I sent that picture to Eric yesterday.

98banana
04-13-2003, 07:22 PM
I just went out to check the motor. I knew the timing chain cover was busted from where the power steering reservoir pushed it in. I took the cover off and all I found wrong was a busted camshaft sensor, which I found sitting on top of the windage trey. I'll be sure to remove the oil pan before cranking it to make sure no other fragments got in the motor.

Anybody else have any suggestions on how to look for more metal fragments?

98banana
04-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Man, this thing is going well!

Here's the goodies from UPS:

98banana
04-17-2003, 09:15 PM
The subs are in...

98banana
04-17-2003, 09:16 PM
And here's the driver's side in-floor sub. The passenger side will be tomorrow, then the cage starts tomorrow afternoon...

johnbasf
04-17-2003, 10:22 PM
OMG!!:eek: :eek: Those welds look awesome.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

98banana
04-17-2003, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
OMG!!:eek: :eek: Those welds look awesome.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks John. That means a lot coming from you! :thumbsup:

I'm freakin' ecstatic on how it's coming out. They actually look better in person. For those out there wanting to start welding - DO NOT BUT A CHEAPY WELDER! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! I keep going back and forth looking at the "banana's" welds, then looking at the new car. Completely different level.:thumbsup: Janis even noticed a difference.

And John, I owe a lot of that to you. You spoke, I listened, and the tips work! Thank you!

2KWhiteSnake
04-17-2003, 11:55 PM
Tom, the work looks great! I spent the evening yanking my track pads out and rotating tires. Fun Fun! Keep up the work. I was going to ask about when you might want to help me tackle that cage, but I think you've got a bit too much going on with the "new and improved" Banana. :bounce:

We love the pictures....Keep them coming!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig

98banana
04-17-2003, 11:58 PM
...I was going to ask about when you might want to help me tackle that cage, but I think you've got a bit too much going on with the "new and improved" Banana. :bounce:

You let me know when you're ready and I'll make time. I'm going to have some slow times in the action in the next few weeks, once the cage is in, so I'll have some spare time.

2KWhiteSnake
04-18-2003, 12:00 AM
I'll call you tommorow to see what we can come up with. I'm not in a big hurry, so whenever it is convenient for you is fine with me.

:thumbsup:

Craig

johnbasf
04-18-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by 98banana
Thanks John. That means a lot coming from you! :thumbsup:

I'm freakin' ecstatic on how it's coming out. They actually look better in person. For those out there wanting to start welding - DO NOT BUT A CHEAPY WELDER! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! I keep going back and forth looking at the "banana's" welds, then looking at the new car. Completely different level.:thumbsup: Janis even noticed a difference.

And John, I owe a lot of that to you. You spoke, I listened, and the tips work! Thank you!

It's hell when the student gets better than the teacher, Grasshopper.

johnbasf
04-18-2003, 01:09 AM
I'll call you tommorow to see what we can come up with. I'm not in a big hurry, so whenever it is convenient for you is fine with me.

:thumbsup:

Craig

You will gut the car before taking it to him. :D :D It saves a ton of time.

98banana
04-18-2003, 07:34 PM
The frame kit is in and the main hoop is bent and almost ready to go in. That'll be tomorrow...

I've been measuring the torsional stiffness at certain points and this is what I've come up with so far:

Stock stripped down shell: 3138 lb-ft/degree
Lower sub-connectors: 3452 lb-ft/degree
In-floor subs installed: 4052 lb-ft/degree
Roll cage: coming soon

STU
04-18-2003, 09:15 PM
WOW Tom! I can't believe how talanted you are. Great job!

HistoricMustang
04-20-2003, 10:46 AM
Tom, just checking in from Augusta (actually Beautiful downtown Hephzibah, Ga.). When do you think you will be up and running. I am attempting to do the full schedule AIX schedule this season (except Beaver Run) and want to see this thing you are building FLY.

Thanks
AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

98banana
04-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by HistoricMustang
Tom, just checking in from Augusta (actually Beautiful downtown Hephzibah, Ga.). When do you think you will be up and running. I am attempting to do the full schedule AIX schedule this season (except Beaver Run) and want to see this thing you are building FLY.

Thanks
AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

I'm hoping it'll fly too! :D

My plan right now is to do the competition school with it at VIR on August 1st, then race on the 2nd and 3rd. It all depends on budget right now. I'm also hoping to hit a track nearby for at least one weekend before VIR to work out any bugs.

I'll be at most of the races between now and then to spectate, so I'm sure I'll see you out there. :thumbsup:

HistoricMustang
04-20-2003, 02:17 PM
Tom, am sure you know this, but CMP has test and tune days quite often. I did one before the recent event there since I had not already done that track.

Cool track but not well suited for this old thing I drive.

See ya,
AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

wildhorsesracin
04-20-2003, 03:27 PM
98Banana said:
DO NOT BUT A CHEAPY WELDER! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! I keep going back and forth looking at the "banana's" welds, then looking at the new car. Completely different level.

Ain't that the truth!!! I went to Autofair a few years ago and National Welders had a few units on display for trial and they proved to me that if I wanted to start learning how to weld then the proper equipment will make me look like a pro!!

That reminds me, I am overdue to upgrade mine from a 'hobby' 110v welder to a full blown 220V unit that will weld aluminum...

98banana
04-20-2003, 05:21 PM
Tom, am sure you know this, but CMP has test and tune days quite often. I did one before the recent event there since I had not already done that track.

Cool track but not well suited for this old thing I drive.

See ya,
AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

Don't they require a competition license for that? If not, that's the answer!:thumbsup:

98banana
04-20-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by wildhorsesracin
98Banana said:

Ain't that the truth!!! I went to Autofair a few years ago and National Welders had a few units on display for trial and they proved to me that if I wanted to start learning how to weld then the proper equipment will make me look like a pro!!

That reminds me, I am overdue to upgrade mine from a 'hobby' 110v welder to a full blown 220V unit that will weld aluminum...

My recommendation:

98banana
04-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Here's the latest from today... this picture is how I had to get in the car to weld one particular location. Man, what a pain...

98banana
04-20-2003, 05:24 PM
From the driver's side - front

98banana
04-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Here's a couple of shots of the "knot".

From the sunroof, driver's side:

98banana
04-20-2003, 05:27 PM
And, finally, from the rear passenger's side:

98banana
04-20-2003, 05:30 PM
This is going to be one stiff car. I planned triangles in as many places as I could, but you just don't realize how many triangles there are until you get it put together.

I've still got quite a bit to do, but the cage will be finished by the end of next weekend. I've used a total of approx. 80' of tubing which is about 160 lbs. I figure I've got another 40', or 80 lbs., to go.

johnbasf
04-20-2003, 05:45 PM
Looking REAL good Tom. That isn't a cage a BIG man would do.:D

SIUNARA
04-20-2003, 07:00 PM
That thing looks like a jungle gym!! ;) VERY nice work Tom...you are one talented guy. So, do you take orders for weld-in cages...I'm in need of one in the fox?!?! ;) :D :thumbsup:

HistoricMustang
04-20-2003, 07:07 PM
Tom , CMP has four different classes for the test and tune. Go to www.turnonemotorsports.com and check it out.

AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

98banana
04-20-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
That thing looks like a jungle gym!! ;) VERY nice work Tom...you are one talented guy. So, do you take orders for weld-in cages...I'm in need of one in the fox?!?! ;) :D :thumbsup:

Thanks Don. Bring the car down and we'll zap a cage in there.:thumbsup:

Blown96Snake
04-20-2003, 10:00 PM
Tom-That cage looks awesome. Dad and I, neither of us very mechinically inclined, have been installing the autopower bolt-in cage in our Miata. It is going to be nice when we get it done. Now I just need to get some brackets made for the race seat. :bounce: I will try to take some pictures, the cage is pretty ugly, but the padding will cover it up.

It has been fun, I learn something new every time I work on my car/cars and its fun!

Nice work Tom, can't wait to check that beast out when you get you license.

Dave

wildhorsesracin
04-20-2003, 10:29 PM
Lookin' good Tom! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welder recommendation, I have heard that the ESAB's were good welders, I have a Lincoln now, but for the value and quality I heard ESAB is the best for the money...

What I welded today doesn't compare - I made a rack to hold all the sockets that are normally rolling around in my 'teardown' cart that I use to tear cars down...

What are you using to cut your notches?

johnbasf
04-20-2003, 11:09 PM
I have used a lot of mig guns and the ESAB is the best yet.

johnbasf
04-20-2003, 11:15 PM
Jim, are you using mixed gas? That will make a difference.

wildhorsesracin
04-20-2003, 11:26 PM
Jim, are you using mixed gas?

John, don't you think that is a personal question?:rotf: :eek: :eek: :rotf:

Yes, it is a CO2/Argon mix, although I couldn't tell you what the mixture is...

kevin
04-21-2003, 12:15 AM
the cage looks good tom. did you use the rubic cube as a model. no additional frame stiffness required i would guess:thumbsup:

johnbasf
04-21-2003, 12:26 AM
John, don't you think that is a personal question?:rotf: :eek: :eek: :rotf:

Yes, it is a CO2/Argon mix, although I couldn't tell you what the mixture is...

Uni gas is another name. :thumbsup:

98banana
04-21-2003, 02:00 AM
....What are you using to cut your notches?

I'm using a tubing notcher that I bought from National Tool.

Here's a link to a similar, yet more expensive model: http://www.eastwoodco.com/email/default.asp?T1=28040&SRCCODE=5KW31

I use a grinder for the more complex notches though.

98banana
04-21-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by kevin
the cage looks good tom. did you use the rubic cube as a model. no additional frame stiffness required i would guess:thumbsup:

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to have a problem with a lack of stiffness when it's all done. The entire cage will be tied into the body of the car.

smashedheadcat
04-21-2003, 07:39 AM
WOW Tom!! This is going to be a beast for sure!! If I'd a known you were looking for a fox, I have a 1990 LX 5.0 5-speed that I could've sold ya. Somewhere around the $1200 range. But, it's not for sale, but I would've let it go. Your car is looking incredible, and you really need to pat youself on the back. You are a very talented race car builder.

98banana
04-21-2003, 09:00 AM
Thanks Josh, I appreciate it.

That sounds like a pretty good deal for your LX. All I needed was the body though since the mod motor will be going in this one.

wildhorsesracin
04-21-2003, 10:25 AM
I'm using a tubing notcher that I bought from National Tool

Here's a link to a similar, yet more expensive model: http://www.eastwoodco.com/email/def...0&SRCCODE=5KW31

Yeah, I have one like the latter, it works but can get jammed regularly - do you have yours mounted permanently?

98banana
04-21-2003, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I have one like the latter, it works but can get jammed regularly - do you have yours mounted permanently?

I've not had any problems with it getting jambed.

I mount mine on a vice that swivels. That way, if I have a tube that's been bent, I can position the notcher so I can get the tube in there.

wildhorsesracin
04-21-2003, 11:29 AM
that might be my whole problem, I have been trying to use my drillpress and I think it is not exactly lined up so it binds as the cutting gets deeper...

smashedheadcat
04-21-2003, 02:09 PM
Thanks Josh, I appreciate it.

That sounds like a pretty good deal for your LX. All I needed was the body though since the mod motor will be going in this one.

Hey no problem. When I get back from the war, if you need any help (you'll probably be done by then) I'd be more than happy to drive down there and help out. Good luck with the car. Personally, I think you should paint it yellow. It just has to be yellow.

98banana
04-21-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
...Personally, I think you should paint it yellow. It just has to be yellow.

Funny you should mention that... I've been having second thoughts on the green...

I've still got at least a few weeks to decide.

NO 5 OH
04-21-2003, 04:41 PM
Funny you should mention that... I've been having second thoughts on the green...

Paint it yellow Tom... paint it yellow ;) ;)

Remember... yellow = fast because yellow = displacement :D:D

wildhorsesracin
04-21-2003, 04:48 PM
I was considering going BACK to the yellow this year myself - but then all the 'other' yellow cars came out:

http://www.americaniron-east.com/2003Apr04/thumbnails/DSC00114-1.jpg

http://www.americaniron-east.com/drivers/bsmith28/bsmith28_t.jpg

And there is only ONE green (color changing kameleon) so far...

http://www.americaniron-east.com/drivers/jpearson42/jpearson42_t.jpg

I vote Green - or go for a "rainbow' of colors :D :D

HistoricMustang
04-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Top doesn't matter. Just make sure the underside looks good!!!!

AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

98banana
04-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Top doesn't matter. Just make sure the underside looks good!!!!

AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

LOL! That's why I'm building the cage like I am. If anybody does see the underside, I want to be standing there looking too. :eek:

97whitevert
04-21-2003, 09:37 PM
LOL! That's why I'm building the cage like I am. If anybody does see the underside, I want to be standing there looking too. :eek: you could paint "HELP" on the underside so you could get a laugh as you are looking at it with everyone else!:eek:

smashedheadcat
04-22-2003, 03:42 AM
The original Banana would be turning in it's grave if the new banana isn't yellow! Banana Motorsports:hail::banana:

Dean95CobraR
04-22-2003, 08:31 AM

Here's another vote for Yeller!

Although you could do a Yeller fading into Green from front to back. :D

cobrabitn
04-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Chrome Yellow please.... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

98banana
04-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR
...Although you could do a Yeller fading into Green from front to back. :D

hmmmmmmm.... veddy interesting...

svt_coupe
04-22-2003, 02:19 PM
What about a "sunburst" style.... like... yellow to orange to red? Or yellow to green to blue? Or pink to mauve to purple? :D :D

I have always thought the Zippo Mustangs were some of the coolest looking racecars on the planet... (see attached)

98banana
04-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by svt_coupe
...Or pink to mauve to purple?...

Yeah, but then I'd need to buy a corduroy driving suit to go with that paint scheme! :D

2KWhiteSnake
04-22-2003, 02:29 PM
I gotta agree with Shugg..........those Zippo cars are sweet! Btw Bryan, glad you made it throught the OTC safely. Glad it was a positive experience for you....it sounds pretty grueling. :)

Craig

svt_coupe
04-22-2003, 02:40 PM
Yeah, but then I'd need to buy a corduroy driving suit to go with that paint scheme! :D

I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to come up with an appropriately witty response. The only thing I can do is sit here, shake my head, and laugh.

Jerk. :D

svt_coupe
04-22-2003, 02:43 PM
I gotta agree with Shugg..........those Zippo cars are sweet! Btw Bryan, glad you made it throught the OTC safely. Glad it was a positive experience for you....it sounds pretty grueling. :)

Thanks dude!!! Yeah, it was a hoot. It was a very busy schedule, but an absolute hoot. You need to do it sometime. :thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake
04-22-2003, 02:48 PM
I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to come up with an appropriately witty response. The only thing I can do is sit here, shake my head, and laugh.

Jerk. :D

I missed that one Tom..........ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!:rotf:

wildhorsesracin
04-22-2003, 06:10 PM
I found this one in my archives
- this was my first 'Yellar' car -
- 'Lemon Ice' - was the name of the color...

http://www.wildhorsesracing.com/cars/yellar.jpg

To put a date on this vehicle - it was when we only had two kids...!!! and one was too small to ride in it!!! (couldn't get a baby seat to fit into it...

But if you wore corduroy in it you could ride in the back as the fiberglass was slippery and corduroy or wet bathing suits stuck to it like glue!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bounce: :eek:

COBRA #17
04-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Shugg, DUDE I'm sorry I created a MONSTER with this corduroy thing!!! :( I didn't intend to turn all your friends on you dude it just kind of exploded on me. :rotf:

Tom the Zippo cars are very cool but the sunburst thing sounds cool. Hell how about TYE DYED !!!!:thumbsup: Now that would be HIP!!!! GROOVY MAN !!!

AI EAST Asst Director
COBRA #17

johnbasf
04-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks dude!!! Yeah, it was a hoot. It was a very busy schedule, but an absolute hoot. You need to do it sometime. :thumbsup:

Corduroy, hoot, what next???? :D :D Help me here Hoov!!

SIUNARA
04-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Yup, it's only a matter of time before Bryan goes postal and leaves a white paint mark on some of his fellow AI race drivers cars!! ;) ;) The "corduroy" and "hoot" thing is begining to get out of hand. :D :D

johnbasf
04-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
Yup, it's only a matter of time before Bryan goes postal and leaves a white paint mark on some of his fellow AI race drivers cars!! ;) ;) The "corduroy" and "hoot" thing is begining to get out of hand. :D :D

I Love You Man!!!!! :D :D

98banana
04-22-2003, 10:44 PM
Somebody's gotta buy me a new keyboard, ' cause mine's soaking wet from the tears! :rotf:

I can't wait for BeaveRun!!!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Shugg, you're a great sport and I luv ya man! And I DON'T mean that in a corduroy sort of way!

wildhorsesracin
04-22-2003, 11:51 PM
What if...?

Instead of painting your car you simply covered it in corduroy? The airflow over the car could be 'channelled' by the grooves and it would be like add 'rakes' like they do in NASA-CAR?

How's THAT for some fuzzy logic?!?! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :eek:

Dean95CobraR
04-23-2003, 12:37 AM
Shugg, you're a great sport and I luv ya man! And I DON'T mean that in a corduroy sort of way!

:eek: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Daym, I hope the racin doesn't get in the way of us having a good time at Beaverun. :D

johnbasf
04-23-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR
:eek: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Daym, I hope the racin doesn't get in the way of us having a good time at Beaverun. :D

It doesn't. :bounce:

svt_coupe
04-23-2003, 01:13 PM
As we say in New Jersey, I got your #$%@ corduroys right heeya!!

Well... I had this really creative response crafted, then I erased it. I thought it might have been a little bit too extreme :jason: and people might get offended. :tongue: It involved accusing people of racing the Great Pumpkin, suggesting others get on with it and just paint their car like Charlie Brown in true blockhead "fashion", promising others I wouldn't tell anyone they thought the AI director was good looking (who's wearing the cords now?!?! :D ), and asking others if in fact IT WAS their shagalicious dune buggy I saw parked next to the Mystery Machine when I was 11. But the conservative side of me outweighed the devil in me and I opted not ask when the stem was arriving for the Great Pumpkin, when the jungle-gym was gonna be finished inside that Fox body so my nephews could play on it, when this other dude realized that corduroys really are more "in" than overalls, and when the fight to get the '73 Dune Machine legalized for AIX was going to take place.

Ahh... I feel morally relieved now. I'm glad I didn't post what I originally had written. ;)

All in good fun... I'm having a HOOT (shut up Pearson) with this. :D :D :D

kevin
04-23-2003, 02:23 PM
As we say in New Jersey, I got your #$%@ corduroys right heeya!!

Well... I had this really creative response crafted, then I erased it. I thought it might have been a little bit to extreme :jason: and people might get offended. :tongue: It involved accusing people of racing the Great Pumpkin, suggesting others get on with it and just paint their car like Charlie Brown in true blockhead "fashion", promising others I wouldn't tell anyone they thought the AI director was good looking (who's wearing the cords now?!?! :D ), and asking others if in fact IT WAS their shagalicious dune buggy I saw parked next to the Mystery Machine when I was 11. But the conservative side of me outweighed the devil in me and I opted not ask when the stem was arriving for the Great Pumpkin, when the jungle-gym was gonna be finished inside that Fox body so my nephews could play on it, when this other dude realized that corduroys really are more "in" than overalls, and when the fight to get the '73 Dune Machine legalized for AIX was going to take place.

Ahh... I feel morally relieved now. I'm glad I didn't post what I originally had written. ;)

All in good fun... I'm having a HOOT (shut up Pearson) with this. :D :D :D

well that certainly cleared up things.

i'm so glad you held back:eek: :rotf:

SIUNARA
04-23-2003, 02:24 PM
You guys are too much!! :D

Nice response Shugg...you waiting to pull out the "cement boots" comment for later? I know you guys from Jersey (in my best jersey boy italian accent) "don't take no crap...FROM NOBODY"!! ;) ;) :D :D

wildhorsesracin
04-23-2003, 02:29 PM
I love IT!

...he says as he dons his overalls and hops into his shagalicious '73 dune machine - giving little boy shugg in his corduroys a hand gesture... ..|.. :321: ..|.. :321:

svt_coupe
04-23-2003, 02:34 PM
...he says as he dons his overalls and hops into his shagalicious '73 dune machine - giving little boy shugg in his corduroys a hand gesture... ..|.. :321: ..|.. :321:

:moon:

98banana
04-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Speaking of jungle gym! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I might actually finish the cage (minus some odd bracing and whatnot) tonight. I'm going to pick up 10 more feet of tubing in a minute and I think that'll do it.

I've got some interesting door bars going in the driver's side. Shugg, it's basically what we talked about on the phone the other day. It's 2 horizontal NASCRAP bars with diagonal bracing instead of verticle. The upper bar also curves up to meet the harness and dash bars for more strength. I'll post pictures tonight.

Now, on with the bashing... who is it that thinks Dan is good looking? :eek:

Blown96Snake
04-23-2003, 04:45 PM
Wow, we may have to put a parental advisory rating on this forum!!!!!! Too funny

I am knee deep in group projects and trying to study for finals...this keeps me laughing...

Dave

wildhorsesracin
04-23-2003, 05:13 PM
98banana said:
who is it that thinks Dan is good looking? :eek:

You don't KNOW?!?!

You've never heard him talk "Dan... Dan... Dan..." ?!?! :thumbsup:

We should call him "sweetcheeks"... :eek:

98banana
04-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Dangit! I ran out of welding gas, so I'm done until tomorrow.

I went with a NASCRAP style bars afterall, with a bit of a twist. I may add a diagonal as well though.

All I've got left is the bars through the firewall and I'm done with the cage! Woohoo. I'll post pictures when it's finished this weekend.

johnbasf
04-23-2003, 07:07 PM
98banana said:

You don't KNOW?!?!

You've never heard him talk "Dan... Dan... Dan..." ?!?! :thumbsup:

We should call him "sweetcheeks"... :eek:

That lets me off the hook! Bryan, just remember you are only "YOUNG" once.:cool: :cool:

98banana
04-24-2003, 08:25 PM
I think it is becoming very obvious that I HAVE hit a wall before at around 100 mph!

Passenger side... obviously, there will be no such thing as a passenger...

98banana
04-24-2003, 08:26 PM
and driver's side. There will be a driver and he will be protected!

98banana
04-24-2003, 08:28 PM
I've got one more bar to put in between the middle of the dash bar, down to the passenger side where the bar meets the frame rail. Then I've got to do the strut tower bars and some bracing.

Bad part is that I may not be working on the car again until mid next week. CafeTech duties call...

johnbasf
04-24-2003, 08:48 PM
I think you just like looking at your welds. :D BTW Nicole is going to the prom this weekend so no Sat for me. I'm available Sun. if you need me.

98banana
04-24-2003, 08:52 PM
I'll be at the computer all weekend except for the first half of Saturday while I help somebody move...

Plus, the race car budget is depleted for another month, so I need to stretch out the work I have already paid for. :D

wildhorsesracin
04-26-2003, 12:25 AM
Tom,
I don't see why you put so many bars in your car when you could have gone an easier route:

http://www.wildhorsesracing.com/parts/wild/dash500.jpg

You could easily just 'pad' the interior so when you hit anything it's like a pillow fight:

http://www.wildhorsesracing.com/parts/wild/driversdoor500.jpg

no need for ANY side door bars here:

http://www.wildhorsesracing.com/parts/wild/passdoor500.jpg

You might be going at this all wrong...:eek:

(ps. at least it's NOT corduroy :thumbsup: :eek: :eek: :rotf: :eek: )

98banana
04-26-2003, 09:07 AM
That looks soooooooo soft! LOL!

For those that have not seen that car in person, I have. That interior really doesn't look bad in person. I wouldn't be caught dead driving it, but it's not bad at all. :thumbsup:

kevin
04-26-2003, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't be caught dead driving it [/B]

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: sooooo funny. i thot that was jim's point:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: