PDA

View Full Version : Tranny, what would you do?

Venom55
04-18-2003, 08:50 PM
I think I'm having transmission woes...got a bad vibration while downshifting. I'm going to get a second opinion but my question is:

would you buy the cheaper stock tranny for a straight bolt-up or shell out the dough for the TKO and all the extra mods it takes to fit it in our SVTs? Money's kinda tight.

Mike

SlowCobra
04-19-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Venom55
I think I'm having transmission woes...got a bad vibration while downshifting. I'm going to get a second opinion but my question is:

would you buy the cheaper stock tranny for a straight bolt-up or shell out the dough for the TKO and all the extra mods it takes to fit it in our SVTs? Money's kinda tight.

Mike a friend of mine has my old Tremec T-45 with a Steeda Tri-ax on it. It for sale for $450 and it only has less than 20,000 miles on it. I changed it when I put on the TKo on. Nothing wrong with it, and he leaves in Greenville. I have check if he has sold it yet.

colt .45
04-20-2003, 10:45 PM
Money was tight with me, so I had to buy a used one. Still going strong and it will be replaced by a much better one when I have the cash.

Venom55
04-20-2003, 11:11 PM
so you replaced your stock trany with another one that was slightly used? how long have you been using that one and what was the problem with your old one that made you get the newer one?

mike

colt .45
04-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Venom55
so you replaced your stock trany with another one that was slightly used? how long have you been using that one and what was the problem with your old one that made you get the newer one?

mike
Yea, I replaced the stock tranny with another stock tranny out of a 98 Cobra with around 30k miles. Its been in for a few months now. My old one kinda broke at HRP. Its wierd, I could move the shifter in every gear, but the tranny stayed in 3rd. Had to drive home in 3rd gear the whole time. :(
Now all I have to do is find a rebuild kit and get it working again. :thumbsup:

Racer_726
05-20-2003, 01:33 AM
Where do you find a re-build kit for a T-45?

I understand they have some heavy duty components to swap in there as well, but not sure where to find this stuff.

Also, is this someone can do in their garage? I've re-built many motorcycle engines/trannies, and numerous jet engines, have lots of tools and plenty mad wrench skillz, yo.

:p

Dave

BadMoFo
05-23-2003, 08:00 PM
is it worth it to rebuild or just save the money and get a better trans? would hate to spend the money to rebuild with great parts and end up spending the same amount that I would have for a tko or something. trans hasnt gone out yet but you allways have to plan for the future.