PDA

View Full Version : Ok Gang, it's time to put up or shut up! :)

Andy M
04-21-2003, 09:40 AM
Alrighty then!!

It is time for us to begin putting our money where our mouth was a few months ago - namely, LET'S GET REGISTERED FOR TWS IN AUGUST!!!

In the coming weeks, you will all be bombarded by one of us (myself, Michael, Edmond or Darrell) to fill out your registration form and enter you and your car for the TWS event this coming August.

First of all, we need to show support for our sponsor - Joe Myers Ford. They have already donated funds AND our club leader has already put a deposit down to secure the track. If we do not show support and come out in sufficient numbers, we will be unable to do these type of events again in the future.

Second, if you don't register and attend, you will be missing out on some serious fun!

Third, I need to know how many novices there will be so I can properly gauge how many instructors to have on hand??

I/we understand that some of you are strapped for cash right now. However, I think we are giving you sufficient time to come up with the money to register.

It is now time to get registered!!!

Get ready to be hounded to death by one of us in the coming weeks!

Bartman01
04-21-2003, 09:50 PM
As one of the "strapped for cash" individuals I have a question about helmets. Will there be rentals available at TWS? If not, and I have to buy one, what recommendations do the open trackers out there have in what to look for?

97CasperCobra
04-22-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Bartman01
As one of the "strapped for cash" individuals I have a question about helmets. Will there be rentals available at TWS? If not, and I have to buy one, what recommendations do the open trackers out there have in what to look for?

There should be enough people there to where you can borrow one Bart. If you really want to buy one, you'll need a Snell SA2K rated helmet. We're gonna check to see if they have some to rent. :thumbsup:

Andy M
04-22-2003, 01:18 AM
I will check into this to see what I can find out? I am sure we can probably rent some? There will be some folks who do not wish to purchase one ( and I totally understand this). I have an extra helmet and will bring it along for anyone who wishes to borrow it?...

We will check into this and let you all know asap. Good question though...

If you are going to purchase one?, I recommend getting a full face helmet, as it provides better protection than an open face one. There are several places on the web which sell Simpson and G-Force (two popular brands) helmets at decent prices. Expect to pay from at least $175-$200 for a new helmet, depending on brand/model and whether or not it has nomex (this is a fire retardant material used in racing suits, helmets, shoes, etc..) or nylon inside. I bought mine at jegs.

www.jegs.com

then do a search for "helmet"

Be aware that the requirement is for a Snell rating of "SA 2000" helmet, which most new helmets now meet. The other rating is for motorcycles and is designated with an "M 2000" rating number. I will check with Tony, but I think we will also allow these M rated helmets for this event too; just in case you know someone with a motorcycle who is willing to loan you their helmet for the weekend?

IO Port Racing is another spot on the web to purchase racing stuff, including helmets...

http://www.ioportracing.com

another is Behrents....

http://www.behrents.com/safety.htm

AV8R
04-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Im embarrassed to admit it, but I am a novice Andy and will probably need an instructor for a few laps. Maybe you could ride a few laps with me.

BTW...when is the next event at TWS? Has Ed said anything yet. I haven't recevied an email from him in a while.

Andy M
04-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by AV8R
Im embarrassed to admit it, but I am a novice Andy and will probably need an instructor for a few laps. Maybe you could ride a few laps with me.

BTW...when is the next event at TWS? Has Ed said anything yet. I haven't recevied an email from him in a while. Jason, don't be embarrased man. I was once a novice. In fact, I find myself still wanting and needing to learn TWS better, as many times as I have been there. Really, the learning never stops. I suppose this one of the reasons I am so addicted to this stuff now?!! :bounce:

I would be honored to be your instructor.

The next Ed Paez day at TWS is May 22nd, I think? I will check with him? I am not certain if I will be able to make that one, but will certainly try, if at all possible?..

cobrabitn
04-22-2003, 11:37 AM
Bart,

TWS has loaner helmets, I think they are free but if they aren't, they shouldn't cost more the ten bucks but for some reason "free" stands in my mind. We will not be allowing Motorcycle helmets starting next year. This event requires SA 95 or better requirements.

Jason,

If you want me to drive your R for you, I'll make a special trip from SC just to run you around the track a few laps in your Cobra R. ;) Three years ago I did my first track event and I am still learning three years later. We are going out there to have fun and learn a lot about our cars. You may want an instructor for the next 4 years, there's nothing wrong with that. ( I had one at CMP and I have been doing this for 3 years). What would be wrong is if you didn't have one, wrecked your car, and then wish you had someone out there. Safety first for both you, others, and your cars. Don't be bashful to ask questions or advice, that's what we are here for. That's why the SCMC is doing track events, so you can learn while you have fun at the same time. Events are a blast but what's even more fun is being around the people you enjoy being around the most. ;) You guys have fun!

Andy M
04-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Ditto Tony!!

I had an instructor with me for the first session at MSR last weekend. And I find myself wanting one some times even at TWS, where I know the track well. As Tony said, the learning never stops. There is ALWAYS something to learn from other drivers.

I also concur with the statement(s) concerning safety! Safety should be your first concern. Especially for novice drivers! Forget about doing performance mods on your car before the event (unless that is you were going to do them anyway). Focus on safety equipment instead... like good tires, new pads, fresh fluids (especially the brake fluid)....etc...

I've learned some interesting things in the almost 2 years since I bought the R and began doing track events?... My car is certainly A LOT faster than I am able to drive it - even after many track events and a certain level of comfort. Additionally, a good instructor once told me - "Go slow so you can Go Fast". I now completely understand what he meant by that. Take the time to be smooth and learn the track and the lines well, and not only will you be SAFER, but you will ultimately go faster.

See you all at TWS in August!!

kevin
04-22-2003, 03:57 PM
as a former htowner and with a deep afinity for all y'all, i'm fix'n to chime in (course andy m can tell me to go away, like that would doo any good:D ).

ditto everything already said. i've been racing and tracking for a day or two now, and the day you say you can't learn from someone else you're either dead or fix'n to be. rarely do you get the opportunity to learn from someone who's already been on the track you're going to. always avail yourself to that opportunity.

regarding safety. it's a state of mind first and foremost. if you go in with the proper attitude, your odds of coming out of the weekend all in one piece and a hugh smile on your face goes way up. if you have an instructor, listen. again, the attitude. too many times i have seen and heard where the novice thot they knew more than the instructor. avoid the urge to go fast just cause you're on a "race" track. and while i'm on the soap box some have known me to climb on to. when it comes to "mods" another "first and foremost" item. upgrade brake lines and pads, install a roll cage/bar. proper harness's etc. as andy said, usually the car is capable of a faster speed than you are, so there's no need in the begining to make the car faster or handle better before the safety issues. i know it's hard to beleive right now, but take a ride in a car like andy's and you'll feel a whole lot safer at speed.

never be embarassed to admit to being new. each new track i go to makes me start all over again. besides, if you don't admit/ask - break down that word "em-bare-assed" . cause that's what you'll be if you don't.

I've posted this not becasue or aimed at anyone individual. but as a general service announcement to all that may be new to this type of event. i happen to enjoy it just a bit and love to see others do the same.

ok tony, i'll step down now:eek: :D

if no one has actually told you before, fully bleed your brake lines and put a high temp (ford's high temp works well) fluid in the weekend before you go to the track. brake fluid will retain moisture and impact your brakes. in your daily driving you won't notice, but on a track you will quickly. especially there in houston (august will be high humidity for sure).

hope this helps

Andy M
04-22-2003, 05:27 PM
Ditto to what Kevin said!

If I had to do it all over again?.. I would have done ALL of the SAFETY mods to my car first, then maybe some performance mods later on.

Trust me on this... more horsepower does not necessarily translate into faster lap times?!! and who cares if you are slower or faster? as long as you are having fun AND are staying safe?!

I have waved by guys in slower (technically at least) cars than mine because I was a slower driver at that moment in time. Get over it because there will ALWAYS be someone faster than you. Even Kevin can attest to this fact - as fast as he is, right Kev?

THE most important thing is to remain safe AND have fun! And if you stay safe, you WILL most definitely have fun!

kevin
04-22-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Andy M
Even Kevin can attest to this fact - as fast as he is, right Kev?

yup. you've waved me by:D

actually, i will not hesitant to give the ole wave by. with any track i start out slow and build the car and my brain up to it.

and andy brings up another good point for the novice. you will be overwlemed by all the things you should be doing when on the track. information overload is hugh first time out. don't worry about it. drive the speed with which you can keep up on most of the data your brain is trying to process (don't forget the rear view mirror). the more you do this the eaiser it gets to know what to do. then you just gotta remember not to be a dufus and loose your focus. if you're not tired your after your first day out, you weren't concentrating enough. kinda like when you drive from work to home, you get home and can't remember the drive. doh.

blacksnake
04-24-2003, 02:50 AM
Hello everyone, I just joined the SCMC and I live in San Antonio. I'll admit, I'm definately a novice when it comes to racing etc, this would be my first open track event, but this sounds like a good place to pick up some good tips. Not to mention being a lot of fun :D You have to start somewhere right? It looks like right now that I should be able to make it and I would like to sign up for this after I get my membership packet.

Andy M
04-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by blacksnake
Hello everyone, I just joined the SCMC and I live in San Antonio. I'll admit, I'm definately a novice when it comes to racing etc, this would be my first open track event, but this sounds like a good place to pick up some good tips. Not to mention being a lot of fun :D You have to start somewhere right? It looks like right now that I should be able to make it and I would like to sign up for this after I get my membership packet. Cool!! Welcome to our club!!

We look forward to seeing you at some of our events, including the TWS track event in August!

Congrats on the new car by the way!! The '03 Cobra is one helluva car for the money!!

cobrabitn
04-24-2003, 10:16 AM
John Mac,

Your membership packet is on its way to you now. You should have it by today or tomorrow. ;)