PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Rear...

Venom55
04-23-2003, 09:01 PM
I'm going with a new diff (31 spline) axles (31...duh), gears, the whole nine...my question is what is the deal with the "auburn diff"? how is it different/better than the stock version of the 31 spline...there's like a $100 difference between the two.

Mike

Aaron94
04-26-2003, 02:16 AM
From what i have read, the auburns are bit more difficult and costly to rebuild, and the Eaton is a better unit. If you are looking for a cheap route, look for an F250/350 rear end, its essentially an eaton 31 spline unit. if you live in an area with a lot of lifted fords, guys tend to swap these out for lockers and leave them laying around, junk yards are good too... just a sugestion, and it is probably the route i will go when i do mine in the future.

Venom55
04-26-2003, 10:49 AM
so do f-250 and 350's have 8.8 rears? i always thought they were bigger for some reason.

sn8kbit
04-26-2003, 04:18 PM
I talked to someone (can't remember who right off the top of my head) who had the stock 01 S spring and truck S spring tested against each other and were the same rates. That's basically what you'd be after with the truck diff. While the Auburn is a good piece, the Eaton would be a better bet if you plan on spending the money. It's costly to remove the rear, unless you do it yourself, and a rebuilt stock diff with extra plates added is the best way to go, and easy on the wallet. The Eaton is also an easier rebuild vs. the Auburn.

http://www.flash.net/~ivc1/cobra/diffrbld.html

has an excellent write up on the stock diff rebuild. The cost of R&R on an IRS equipped car, with the additional high cost of the Auburn rebuild should be enough deterrent.

Aaron94
04-27-2003, 07:28 PM
i am pretty sure the 250 has an 8.8, dont know about the 350.