PDA

View Full Version : Toyo question

johnbasf
04-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Can they be rotated anywhere on the car after using them only one event? Front-back, left-right?

COBRA #17
04-29-2003, 10:18 PM
I usually just rotate mine front to back, since they are a directional tire. They have a direction arrow on the side in wich they are ment to be run. But good question!!!!

AI EAST Asst Dirtector
COBRA #17

racercosmo
04-30-2003, 03:09 AM
Once they are shaved and run, you can install them however you like. The directional marking is there for full tread wet usage.

svt_coupe
04-30-2003, 12:17 PM
John - they work best if you mount them on your trailer. The trailer tires are better for racing. So, switch 'em. Not many people know about that trick.

wildhorsesracin
04-30-2003, 12:55 PM
And tow the trailer - that will balance the car better - more weight in the rear... you won't believe the difference!

johnbasf
04-30-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by svt_coupe
John - they work best if you mount them on your trailer. The trailer tires are better for racing. So, switch 'em. Not many people know about that trick.

Ok, last year I was your suspension b****. Now I can't get another serious opinion on tires??? :)

Cosmo, thanks for the serious reply. :thumbsup:

svt_coupe
05-01-2003, 02:37 PM
:D :D

98BlueVert
05-01-2003, 02:51 PM
john, last year you were crew. this year, you're competition.:D

SIUNARA
05-01-2003, 03:21 PM
Good point Todd...glad I'm crew and not a driver!! ;) :D

wildhorsesracin
05-01-2003, 03:27 PM
you do remember rule # 1 for the competition school don't you ?!?!

the one about asking questions of your fellow competitors :thumbsup: ;)

HistoricMustang
05-01-2003, 07:01 PM
You guys aint right.:bounce:

AIX #97

johnbasf
05-01-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
Good point Todd...glad I'm crew and not a driver!! ;) :D

Don, ask one of these AI guys about the Toyos. :D

wildhorsesracin
05-01-2003, 10:40 PM
John,
Next time you are driving hard thru a corner simply push the throttle all the way to the floor as fast as you can just after you turn in - the rear end of your car will pass the front end of the car and you will rotate the tires on track - much easier than using jackstands!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

then again you are driving one of those DOHC thingy's - so you'll need to make sure you have downshifted two or three gears before attempting this as those DOHC thingy's don't have enough torque to complete the tire rotation... :D :D

Hope this helps ;) ;)

johnbasf
05-01-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by wildhorsesracin
John,
Next time you are driving hard thru a corner simply push the throttle all the way to the floor as fast as you can just after you turn in - the rear end of your car will pass the front end of the car and you will rotate the tires on track - much easier than using jackstands!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

then again you are driving one of those DOHC thingy's - so you'll need to make sure you have downshifted two or three gears before attempting this as those DOHC thingy's don't have enough torque to complete the tire rotation... :D :D

Hope this helps ;) ;)

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I hope I'm your buddy 'cause I'd hate to be your enemy!! :rotf: :rotf:

97whitevert
05-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Toyo question

Can they be rotated anywhere on the car after using them only one event? Front-back, left-right?

i am NOT competition... barely am crew.......;) :D :D :D

racercosmo
05-02-2003, 12:58 AM
We had no problems doing that.

wildhorsesracin
05-02-2003, 09:24 AM
Lisa, :thumbsup:
I rotated mine front to back last year and they seemed to wear well, in fact I would still mount them and use them in events where I wasn't competing.

I did not try swapping them side to side as some race tires are sensitive to changing rotational direction - the belts will separate and cause all sorts of weird handling issues. I am not sure if Toyos do this but I didn't want to find out at the wrong time.

My car has a tendency to wear the fronts out on the outside and the rears on the inside so swapping them front to back and back again will make them even. :D

But, please, whatever you do... DON'T TELL JOHN!!! ;) ;) :thumbsup:

svt_coupe
05-02-2003, 10:02 AM
I did not try swapping them side to side as some race tires are sensitive to changing rotational direction - the belts will separate and cause all sorts of weird handling issues.

Huh? Really? I never heard of that before. I flipped mine on the rim a couple times last year. Are you sure this isn't for bias-bly tires? Curious...

My car has a tendency to wear the fronts out on the outside and the rears on the inside so swapping them front to back and back again will make them even.

You wear the rears on the inside? That is really weird. I never would have guessed that. Again... curious....

wildhorsesracin
05-02-2003, 10:46 AM
svt_coupe said: Are you sure this isn't for bias-bly tires? Curious...

Actually I have ruined a set of Hoosiers that way - someone explained to me that Hoosiers use fiberglas? belts in the tire design to make them lighter? tires felt like a bad flat spot after one session - and it was a slow morning session!

svt coupe said: You wear the rears on the inside? That is really weird. I never would have guessed that. Again... curious....

Yep, that was BEFORE I installed the MM torque arm and just had the panhard bar - I believe I was lifting a wheel on the inside of the turns and burning the rubber off the inside of the outside wheel... :thumbsup: and that might have been primarily because of the low pressures I was running in the tires... something someone told me to do... hmmm... who would THAT be?

svt_coupe
05-02-2003, 02:26 PM
I did a little research :D cause the notion of not being able to flip the tire on the wheel came as a surprise to me. I've been doing it for years!

From Hoosier's Road Racing Tire Tips page:
http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

"The tires are not directional, however the tread is asymmetrical in design. The new tire can be mounted with the grooves inboard or outboard. Once some wear has occurred it may be desirable to flip the tire on the wheel in order to even out the wear and maximize tire life."

I wonder what happened to your tire. It does have a fiberglass contruction as you mentioned -

"The R3S03 and A3S03 have a symmetric internal construction that features nylon cord radial carcass plies reinforced by two fiberglass belts and a circumferential nylon cap ply under the tread."

Could it be you broke a belt in an offroad excursion?

Anyhoo... I guess it really doesn't matter... :D :D

wildhorsesracin
05-02-2003, 04:45 PM
They were R3S03's and it could very well have been an offroad excursion that separated the cords (corduroys?)

- but the day that I rotated them I managed to stay on track, away from any TREES and keep my cord-uroys clean... :eek: :rotf:

I would say that you could flip them, as a personal preference I generally mark the tires and keep them on the same side of the car... kind of like keeping your corduroys - zipper forward... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I should know better, you are definitely the cord (uroy) master... ;)

97whitevert
05-02-2003, 05:23 PM

But, please, whatever you do... DON'T TELL JOHN!!! ;) ;) :thumbsup:

OK Jim, Thanks!! shhhhhh mum's the word;);)... It'll be awful hard though, JOhn's my buddy!!! :bounce:

Lisa
( not competition, not yet anyway. justa AI cheerleader for now)