PDA

View Full Version : MCA Lone Star Nationals

cobltng
05-06-2003, 05:52 PM
For those planning on entering this show and especially those of us who discussed this at FFW, here is some info. The DD class,daily Driver is not for the majority of folks I know. The daily driver has the windows rolled up, the trunk open and the hood closed. Areas judged are exterior,interior,& Trunk. cleanliness,condition,and workmanship are areas the judge is looking at. Wear and tear,nicks and dents are expected. Originality doesn't count.

I think most of us who attend will want to be in class SD, Street Driven. All of the above apply. areas judged are exterior,interior,trunk compartment,engine compartment and under carriage. Street driven class should have the hood up,trunk open,windows rolled up( how in the hell do you do that) Converts, top up.( don't like that one) Owner must be with car at the time it is judged and all cleaning materials must be stored out of sight. Sherri the guy I wanted to question about your unrestored Mach won't be there this week but I will find out any details and pass on to you. Entry forms and schedule can be found at the MCOH website.Final decision on class entered is up to tech inspection personnel Any changes I will update you on or you can check the website

03 cobra toy
05-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the information:) looks good......

Topless In Tex
05-07-2003, 02:07 AM
Hey John,
I just got my MCOA stuff in the mail and read up on all that...I agree...I would DEF. be in a Street Driven. The only drawback, is they WILL look at Undercarriage (mine sucks), as in Daily Driven they dont. They ALSO do NOT look at the ENGINE in Daily Driven, like you said, for those of you that dont know. So, being the best part of my car, I"d screw myself if I did get into a Daily Driven, even though it is. Thats what I was in for the Grand Nats 4 years ago, my engine was clean, but I had nothing for mods like I do now. Didnt matter anyways, cuz they did not judge it!

I've been planning on showing. We've only got 2 weekends left, and I'm pretty broke right now, and I really dont have the cash to get the top put on and do things I need to do. And my drivers seat has holes in it. I'm really stressed out about it. I REFUSE to show my car there w/ that top on....I guess this week, I need to start pricing how much it is to get installed. I got the top and glass...but i've got bills to pay too. Its very frustrating. Also, I now have a back bumper that Tomy Hammond hauled home for me, I wanted to get done to replace my one that got implanted in a garage twice after a few margaritas and Russians!
:(
Still do not have a hotel room either. :(

BTW: for those of you that are planning on Showing....the MCOA judging is BRUTAL!!! You are NOT competing against the cars in your class, but against thier point standards. They are ANAL about thier judging. After reading my rules and reg. last night, I noticed they did about 3 things judging me 4 years ago they SHOULD NOT in a Daily Driven>...they should NOT sit in the car....(they opened the glove box, console, ASHTRAY, yes thank you I do smoke!) inspected my sunvisors...(counted off cuz they were faded)
They also inspected the area under your TRUNK where your SPARE TIRE AND JACK BETTER BE!!!!! We found this out at the last minute and we have never had these compartments even open. Had to dish all the crap and leaves and stuff out, and sure enough, they looked.
Ive got the judging sheet around here somewhere for that show...I will try this weekend to find it. Its 3 PAGES LONG!!!

Anyways...dont mean to whine...guess I'm just frustrated and looking for an excuse to blow it off....I know if I do, I will be pissed at myself...I know my car does not look like I want at this point, and it bugs me...I guess I was hoping to be a little better able to do what I need to do. so.....
Thanks again John for the info...I got some good pics from this weekend (FFW), when I get them in my Webshots, I'll let ya know. ;) and CONGRADULATIONS!!! :D
:banana:TNT:banana:

STANGBUM
05-07-2003, 07:23 AM
I just got back from the MCA National in Pigeon Forge. Entered my Cobra in Daily Driven, I use to enter in "concours" before the S/C, the "mod" class is mirrors and chrome, and as you say "street Driven" the will check your under carriage in detail.
So the "daily Driver was for me and the will inspect it throughly. Took them about 25 min to go over car. I even had a point taken off for "minor dust" on the rubber above window.
But all in all had great time. And I came out with a 1st place Trophy:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
All I can say is clean, clean and then clean some more.
"GOOD LUCK":thumbsup:

cobrapace94
05-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Just to add a few more things when I showed my 67 in the nationals a few years ago. They do a tech when you arrive and the horn and all lights will be checked for proper working condition. You WILL need a fire extingusher and a (not 100% sure) first aid kit. They did lift up the trunk mat.
Yes they were brutal about the car, but just as long as they are just as brutal to the next person, I don't mind.
I plan on showing the Pace car, not sure which class yet, daily driver or street driven. Lots of dirt & wear on the car with over 118k miles on it.
Bring a chair, water & possible umbrella cause it's gonna be hot....

STANGBUM
05-07-2003, 10:01 AM
The tech inspection is from lights ,radio, turn siignals,etc. If its does something they will inspect it. You do not need a first aid kit.

In DD they lifted up my trunk mat and also looked under spare tire.while using 2 fingers to wipe for dirt or dust:rolleyes:

MCA rules say that DD must show some wear on car. I had just bought some tires for the cobra and they ask for proof of purchase within 6 months because the tires should show some wear or you show proof.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Also they will give you 5 minor mods before they will start deducting points. (valve stem caps, stickers, shifter knob, etc.) anything not stock to the car is a mod if they see it.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
THe more miles on car the better, they will take away the "deducted" points based on you milage, like 30,000 to 39,999mi. take off 4 points, 40,000 to 49,999mi. take off 5 points.

cobltng
05-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Thanks for all the comments and information. These guy's are gonna have a field day with our 92 Vert. 16,000 miles,lets see that ought to be good for a 25-30 point deduction and uh mod's?? There is absolutely nothing except the door handles that are stock on this car. I may be the first ever to walk away with a point deficit. Somebody say Anal??

STANGBUM
05-07-2003, 11:51 AM
FYI........
For Daily Driven class the rulebook has a notation "Car should show signs of street use. Make allowance accordingly."

Car will be judged on:

1. EXTERIOR
A. Body Workmanship and Fit.
B. Paint and Finish on Body.
C. Chrome, Stainless, Trim.
D. Glass and/or Plastic.
E. Weatherstrip, Gaskets & Seals.
F. Wheels and Tires.
G. MCA Window Decal: Required.

2. INTERIOR
A. Interior Door and Kick Panel.
B. Door Opening Area (Scuff Plate, Jambs, Hinges & Latches).
C. Seats.
D. Carpet and Firewall Cover.
E. Dash Pad.
F. Instrument Assembly, Steering Wheel and Dash Panel.
G. Headliner.

3. TRUNK
A. Spare Tire & Jack Assembly.
B. Paint and Weatherstripping.
C. Mats, Cardboard and/or Trim.
D. Wiring Harness and/or Covering Trim.

4. ENGINE COMPARTMENT
A. HOOD MUST BE CLOSED!

5. UNDERCARRIAGE
A. DO NOT JUDGE!

cobrapace94
05-07-2003, 11:56 AM
ANAL.... :) There I said it. And yes they are.
So are you saying they take away points for mods to the car? IE: Rims, chrome under the hood & interior parts?
Points off for mods???? Is this a concourse class? I would understand if this was for throughbread or concourse, but not for DD or even street driven. What are the classes, does anybody know. So a stock clean car can win over a car with lots of chrome if they are both equally clean? I might have to go back to stock parts & rims.

STANGBUM
05-07-2003, 11:57 AM
More FYI......
STREET DRIVEN - Judged for Quality of Workmanship, Condition and Cleanliness ONLY. Includes engine compartment and undercarriage.

DAILY DRIVEN - Judged for Quality of Workmanship, Condition and Cleanliness ONLY. Engine compartment, hood must be closed. Undercarriage not judged.

MODIFIED - Judged for quality of workmanship, condition and cleanliness only. Cars are not judged for authenticity. Modified cars are awarded additional points based on modifications.

FOURTH GENERATION - 1994 to 2000. Concours judged for authenticity, condition and cleanliness.

The most recent two years are not judged, but placed in a separate class and awards are made by popular vote.

quoting from the MCA LATE MODEL JUDGING RULE BOOK:

"All cars, except retired cars, must pass a technical inspection. This inspection includes all lights, signals, [tachometer], clock, radio, air conditioning, leaks, working windows, seat adjustment, engine starting and horn. All cars must [have] an accessible fire extinguisher in the car at all times, however it does not have to be mounted in the car."

You will receive a classification card at registration that goes on or under the windshield. On the back of the card will be a list of show requirements. Good luck, have fun, and I hope SCMC makes a good showing.

03 cobra toy
05-07-2003, 02:53 PM
:mad: Can I put my 03 in street driven ??
I just can't be in Fourth Generation because it's to new....How do the look under your car???

cobltng
05-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Well if you must know,there is a MCA certified vertically challenged individual that they transport in a temperature controlled case. He is taken out when it is believed that someone has done something really spectacular to his undercarriage. They lay him on his back, plug him in and run him around underneath the car. It is said that he can deduct points at the rate 15 per second
:mad:

03 cobra toy
05-07-2003, 06:12 PM
Maybe I should pass on this show......It sounds tooooo hard for me....HaHa Does it (MCA cvci)drinks beer??? Maybe IT will like the under side of my cobra........:) :)

cobrapace94
05-07-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by 01 cobra toy
Maybe I should pass on this show......It sounds tooooo hard for me....HaHa Does it (MCA cvci)drinks beer??? Maybe IT will like the under side of my cobra........:) :)

Daym, that looks ohh sooo nice....:thumbsup: :bounce: :banana: :flag: Could always flip you snake on its side?

"vertically challenged individual" too funny.

Where can the judging rules be seen at?

Topless In Tex
05-07-2003, 09:13 PM
So, when they find out my motor on BOTH sides of my windows are going out, they should like that, and the radio is intermittent? (most of the time it does NOT work) ! WTF do they expect for 113,450 miles? So what will they do, send me home?:mad: :rolleyes:
Darrell, if you go back stock, I'll kick your butt.
Modified sounds more and more better to me...although, they DONT want to look at my undercarriage. I have not cleaned it since Autorama 2 years ago. But still, if I cannot get my top put on, I might pass....My seats alone, paint and front and back bumper will prolly cost me about 50 points. IF NOT more. Dont know if my engine can take up the slack for that. :doubt: Do they judge the undercarriage in Modified?

David...your car is AWESOME!!!!!! Ive judged MANY MANY 10+ cars, and Your undercarriage is a 10 in my book! GREAT WORK! ;)

cobltng
05-08-2003, 12:26 PM
Stangbum said: Modified class-Judged for Quality of workmanship,condition and cleanliness only.Cars are not judged for authenticity.Modified cars are awarded additional points based on modifications. Modifications may be listed on one 81/2 x 11 sheet. Props,signs,stanchions and displays are not allowed.

A trailored modified car is allowed visual displays.

Now here is something else Stangbum noted: 4th Generation, 1994 -2000 are judged for authenticity,condition and cleanliness only.There is no mention in either modified or 4th Generation about open hoods or top's up or down. but the show rule's highlights states; All judged cars must have trunks/hatchbacks open,convertible tops up and windows closed. All hoods must be open except daily driver class

The VCI is said to like alcoholic beverages. David you should really keep an eye on him while he is under your car. Something that looks that good he may well want to have intimate relations with your underside,hell who knows what could happen...Marriage???

03 cobra toy
05-08-2003, 12:58 PM
:eek: OK OK

What class would be good for my car ??I need to know what to clean.............

cobltng
05-08-2003, 01:26 PM
I would guess Modified, except that the last two year models are supposed to be judged as peoples choice only. Having said that how could you not win.......something. I really think none of us who have never competed in one of these shows is not going to know exactly where we are until we roll through tech insp. My intent is to enter the modified class and just take my chances. While typing this I was looking over my entry form and guess what? There is a class for current year 01-03,well how 'bout that.

cobltng
05-08-2003, 01:31 PM
I would think Modified, this should put you in a good position. Also I was reviewing my entry form just now and updating it to enter modified and noticed that there is a class for current year,01-03. How bout that?

03 cobra toy
05-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Where can I find the entry form??? Thanks for all the help....

:thumbsup:

David

cobrapace94
05-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Here is a link to the entry form:
http://www.mcoh.org/car%20show.htm
See if the pic works..
http://www.mcoh.org/car%20show.htm

So John, which class should I be in???? Street driven, Daily driver or 4th generation 94-00????

cobltng
05-08-2003, 04:22 PM
If I had a Pace car,I think I would want to be in Street Driven. At Least you would have a better chance being judged for what you have. If you go into 94-2000 (also 01-03) has been added and here you are going to be judged by people's choice. There have been time's when that has been good to me, but it has bit me more time than it kissed me. The Pic works. Lot better than the first time I tried It.

cobltng
05-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Just now looking back over this mountain of info I have and came across this. Current generation 94-2003 will be judged under concours rules same as the trailored cars and will be judged on authinticity and originality. Soooo many contridictions. It is as Christine said it is us competing against their judging rules.

cobrapace94
05-08-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm soo confused...!!:eek:
Is there a different class for the street driven & daily driver classes for the classics and new cars? Not fair in my opinion of my 94 competing against a 65. Or are they going to automaticly put me in 94-00 class? Which I would be better off putting stock items back on if they judge for authenticity. So that would be points off for the new rims?
Will be a learning experience for sure...., but fun.
:D

STANGBUM
05-09-2003, 07:47 AM
There is different classes for older cars and the newer generations in SD and DD "IF" there is enough to make different classes, if not they may lump some of you together(but not neccesarily with older Mustangs). I have seen that done before also.
If you do not have original rims they will take off 1 point for the set. But remember in the SD and DD classes you get" 5 minor mods" before they start deducting points.
You can request your judging sheet mailed to you after the show is over, this could help you at the next MCA show :thumbsup:
If you are all stock (go in concours, very tough class) or have lots of mods, chrome,special paint or body parts, etc (go in modified, lots of sharp cars here).
if you don't want to show your engine because of some mods or its not clean and undercarriage is not so clean show in Daily Driver. If you have a clean engine compartment with maybe a mod or two and your undercarriage is clean and the rest is clean show in Street Driven
It can be confusing until you do some MCA shows and get the feel of whats going on. If not sure, at the tech inspection ask them what class they think you should be in.
Good luck and have fun:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bounce: :bounce:

cobltng
05-09-2003, 01:05 PM
What stangbum says makes sense,at least to me as I have never been in a MCA show. But with all the mod's that I have I will gamble on being in the modified class. I guess I will put the GT on jack stands and wash the underside and polish the Borla stainless steel mufflers and then pull out the spare and detail it. Damn! it occurs to me that when I converted to Five lug's and disc brakes I tossed out my four lug space saver and bought a five lug space saver.Is this win,win or lose,lose:doubt:

03 cobra toy
05-09-2003, 07:29 PM
:( clean clean clean......If anyone wins great and if we don't O well !!! We'll just have a good time....;)

Topless In Tex
05-10-2003, 11:34 PM
OK...........
Well, it was a last minute decision. Me and Steve went to Silsbee today for a SouthTexas Mustang Club show. It was MCA judged!!!!!!!!!!!! Heres the skinny....this will be loooong, so , go to the bathroom, get a drink, smoke, or whatever you need....Im gonna go make me a drink, and let Racie outside, then I'll be right back to let ya know how it went...My feelings on classes are COMPLETELY CHANGED....brb.....;)

Topless In Tex
05-11-2003, 01:19 AM
First off, I had NO CLUE this was a MCA JUDGED SHOW!!!! I DID NOT EVEN CLEAN MY CAR SINCE LAST WEEKEND!!!!! Steve neglected to tell me this.....lol....I gave him hell. ;) I thought it was a 'Show and Shine' .

Okay, keep in mind FIRST OFF...the judges of THIS SHOW were members of this particular Mustang Club, and not the 'official' MCA judges that run the spector up your tailpipe, (so to speak) they were THOUROUGH, BUT NOT AS ANAL AS THE MCA JUDGES WILL BE...but they went by the MCA rules...ALMOST to a tee.... :) BUT not completely. They took a good 20-25 min/car.

When you pull in, you have to have the CHECK...
lights, signals, horn, radio, (thank GOD mine was working at the time...when it went on, I made sure not to turn the car off!), and they informed me that I have NO BACK UP LIGHTS! lol...evidently my taillights are illegal...:rolleyes: they take your VIN #, check mileage, and they check to make sure your A/C blows. Also, you have to show that your window motors work. Of corse I did mine JUST enough to let them see that they still work...for now...it made a noise in the inspection, (BOTH are going out now!)but it was enough to carry me thru. IF you DO NOT have a Mustang Club of America Sticker on your windshield, its an automatic 1 point deduction. If you are not a member, Your hard pressed for time to join and get the sticker and your number back in time.

MOST of the classes I wanted to get into to get my engine judged, only went up to '93! They will be changing it soon, from what they say. They suggested I NOT go in modified....I would not do well. AGAIN...this is what this particular MUSTANG Club said....

JOHN.....I think that YOU would do GREAT in Modified. Your Stang is BADASS, and SPOT ON! and they DO judge Undercarriage in Modified...IMO! If I were you, I would do modified.

Darrell....I think you might do well in the class i went into. I ended up going into 'Occasionally Driven, 4th Generation, Convertible.' Steve went into 'Ocassionally Driven, 4th Generation, Closed (coupe)'. Although mine is Daily Driven, this was the only class we could find where I could get my engine judged. (to my benefit) since they DO NOT judge engines in Daily Driven...

Sherri, Greg does not think that your old repaint will affect your getting into the UNRESTORED class....I thought it would be okay...if he finds out any different, he'll let me know. Just make sure its CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) I know you will! :D

They DID NOT ask me to take off my BRA...(LOL) :p or my Seat covers.....which I will be curious to see how I scored there, when I get my judging sheet back.. THEY DID MAKE ME TAKE OFF MY BRA at the Grand Nationals 4 years ago, and I"M SURE they will this time, and the seat covers for the Nats....I'm sure this will be my death. So, I DO NOT expect to do as well as I did today, BY ANY MEANS!!!!. :mad:
as far as the top goes, just so happens that a friend of ours from the Mustang Club was our judge, so he might have been lenient, I dont know....he said he needed my top up to look at the headliner and the glass....I told him that I have a new top in my living room and that my glass is in great shape, and that I can put the top up, but, hes gonna see holes in it if it goes up. He told me he will make the deductions for not putting my top up and I got the feeling from what he said that I was better off taking that, then if I did put it up, I might have had more points deducted....IF they do the judging at the Nats like they did for the Grand Nats 4 years ago.....that is NOT an option. You either put up the top, get a ton of points taken of for it looking like ****, or you DONT put it up, and you will get NO credit for it at all....which, I dont think this applies to any of ya'll, cuz your tops are still in good shape.

They did NOT go into the console, ashtray, glove box, I DONT THINK, but I did not watch what they did when they went into the interior....BUT....AT G.NATS 4 years ago, they did! I would DEFINETELY MAKE SURE THAT ALL THESE ARE CLEAN... If they CANNOT see your spare tire and jack, they will take off points...I have a little sign made up that says "Spare Tire and Jack In Trunk". BUT they want to see it. AGAIN...I think they were a WHOLE lot more lenient than the MCOA judges will be. I'd make damn sure that you have that area CLEAN(where your spare is, and exposed)....and you MUST have a fire extinguisher.... Ive got my chrome one mounted in the trunk, but i got a bunch of spares hanging around the house (NOT CHROME) if anyone needs to borrow one. They also checked to make sure your 'map' light (interior) light worked.

FOR YOU NEWER STANGS....DAVID.....
WE all got ballots....there was 3 things we chose. (Participants choice)

Best Late Mustang :
there was a new Mach 1 that was at FFW last weekend, the Red one, IMO....I LOVED that MACH but YOU had him beat hands down! Your car is awesome. Anyone can take a new car off the showroom floor and show it. Im still drooling over your undercarriage!!!

Best Truck

Best Car (including classics, they had some cool ones, coupes and a/c Cobras, Old and new TBirds, and the like) We voted for a really nice and CLEAN A/C Cobra, not sure what ended up winning, but it was not him.

Although I HATE the way the MCOA pics our cars apart at the shows and causes my ulcer to flare, I DO like how you are judged against thier 'standards' in the points...the number of trophies per class is unlimited.. It just depends on how you measure up to thier standards. And, it makes NO difference who is in your class....although thier standards are just sooooooooooo way out there! Although I got a 1st, the one I tied w/ had 26,000 miles on it, and was called first, so I KNOW that they beat me in points, and deservingly so. The interior was CLEAN....seats looked good, engine was nasty, I thought, and it was stock, which is fine, but it was really dirty. And the paint was in GREAT condition, and mine is 10 years old and it shows! I KNOW when I have to take off my BRA and my seat covers, it will be the death of me. But, there is NOTHING I can do about that at this point....by then, I should be up to 114,000 miles. I dont really know if they take that into account or not. Prolly not. I'm sure if I was made to take off my bra and seat covers (like at the Grand Nats), I'd prolly been bumped down to a second place. I have no doubt....
Sooooooooooo....at this point, thats what I remember as far as being helpful.....hopefully Steve will post his thoughts on this as well, and hit on something maybe I have missed. Hes been really bogged down lately, and will be taking contract job next week w/ Shell on a boat in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico for 4-6 weeks starting next week, not being able to come home. Judy will be bringing the Cobra up to the Nats....
BTW...Steve also got a 1st place today at the show. And deservably so! ;)
I'm ready for a shower! Looking forward to seeing ya'll then....Me and Judy will be arriving sometime Friday afternoon....whoever is going, PLEASE Keep in touch, and lets swap cell numbers. And... we WILL have the Margaritas going in our room!!!!!:thumbsup:
Hope this was some help! :D

03 cobra toy
05-11-2003, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE][Me and Judy will be arriving sometime Friday afternoon....

The car show is on Sunday???:(

cobltng
05-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Registration starts on Friday,23rd 8:00 a.m. - 5:00p.m. Tech insp same hrs. Vendors set up also. A lot of the long distance folks likely will be in Friday. Sat,24th same hours for registration and tech. Judging start at Noon and goes to 5:00 p.m.And 8:00 a.m. to Noon on Sunday 25th, Trophies are at 2:00p.m. There is happy hour at 8:00 - 10:00 p.m.Fri. evening and a Banquet 7-9:00 p.m.Sat. evening:eek:

cobrabitn
05-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Keep it simple, keep it fun!

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/SCMC_Rules.pdf

Use independent judges from another non-Mustang/Ford club and get fair and impartial judging on your car. The odds of having an equal judging on all cars is greatly increased. Good luck at the show!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

cobltng
05-14-2003, 02:56 PM
I attended the next to last planning meeting last night. It won't be fun and it won't be simple.Lot of conflict at the top. Judging will be 100%MCA. But you know what? I am entering our 92 GT Vert and it is BADD Ass, under the SCMC umbrella and we are going to win....Something. Thanks for your comments
John & Barb

:bounce: :bounce: