PDA

View Full Version : Power by FOURCED

NO 5 OH
05-17-2003, 12:46 AM
I had intended today before I left for work to get the speedo in my SVO calibrated as around three weeks ago I was ticketed by a state trooper for speeding after a rain storm. I've been wanting to see how bad it was off to have something to stand on in court, so I went to the local dyno in my area and asked him if he could verify how off it was. He said he could, but wasn't certified and it may not hold ground in a court of law. But I thought since I was up there I might as well get the car on the rollers and see what it put down :D :D

I turned the boost down for the first pull... to what I thought was 16 psi. We did the pull in 4th gear and boost only came up to 15 psi during the run... I guess my figuring was a little off ;) First run netted me 235 rwhp with 264 ft/lbs. torque. Air/fuel went from pretty lean at the start, to low eleven's in the middle of the run to 12.1 at 6000 rpm. I was somewhat dissapointed at this pull at first given the modifications that are done now... but then I realized that it was only stock boost levels on a hybrid turbo. I let it cool for a bit and then started it back up.

This time I was more on track... turned the boost up to 16-17 psi and it was a noticable difference on the graph. Horsepower to the wheels jumped to 262 with torque going up to 286. Air/fuel ratio was pretty much like the first run... very flat all the way across starting in the low 12's, going to low 11's again and ending up at 12.1 at 6000 one more time. I was getting a bit giddy at this point... I wonder what around 18 psi will do

Last run was at 17-18 psi... but it was really too much boost from the hybrid for the SVO to handle. Horsepower rose again to 275 with 300 ft/lbs. torque, but it went way lean right after 5000 rpm... getting detonation quite bad. Air/fuel for the last pull was almost at the 13:1 mark... waaaaaaaay too lean. I should have turned the fuel pressure up a bit, or at least used some racing gas in the tank.

All together though, I was pretty much pleased. I had fully expected 275 to the wheels on the stock computer with the new turbo, I wished I could have run more boost though. I'm a bit curious as to where the torque went in a way... as the original T3 put 307 ft/lbs. to the wheels at around 21/22 psi. I'm still serveral lbs. of boost off from that mark... so that could be the difference. It also may make a difference too since the hybrid has a .63 A/R housing. Main modifications are below to those curious as to what it takes to get to this point :cool:

T3/TO4E 60 trim stage III with .63 A/R housing from Precision TE
Modified Buick Grand National Intercooler with Duttwieler neck
Gutted upper/ported lower stock intakes
1 3/8" primary to 1 5/8" "big log" header by Bob Lee
ATR 3" downpipe off turbo, no cat... internally wastegated
ATR 3" to 2 1/2" y-pipe
Magnaflow 2 1/2" stainless catback
Kirban adjustable FPR
Walbro 255 lph in tank pump
Ford/Bosch 46 lb/hr. fuel injectors (not street worthy!)
Turbo XS manual boost controller
Fluidyne 2 core aluminum radiator
Flex-a-lite Slimline dual 12" electric fans

Can't wait to get the SDS and the new injectors in. 400 horsepower here I come :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Corner-Carver
05-20-2003, 01:22 PM
The hybrids flowing ALOT more air than the stock T3 so you're gonna get leaner at a lower boost level which will directly affect torque. Turn the FP up ~3-5psi and you might have seen 300rwhp. Good numbers from a measly 4 cylinder.:thumbsup:

NO 5 OH
05-21-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Corner-Carver
The hybrids flowing ALOT more air than the stock T3 so you're gonna get leaner at a lower boost level which will directly affect torque. Turn the FP up ~3-5psi and you might have seen 300rwhp. Good numbers from a measly 4 cylinder.:thumbsup:

Yeah that's for sure about the hybrid's Paul... especially considering that the 60 trim that I have flows just about double the cfm of the stock T3 that was on it ;) I knew I should have turned the fuel pressure up on that last run... but I didn't really have any cool air flowing over the intercooler, so intake temps were probably on the hot side. I'm sure if I'd turned up the fuel pressure and added about 2 more lbs. of boost, I'd seen 300 to the wheels from the measly four cylinder :D

Thanks for the reply... I'm glad that somebody took notice and decided to post :) :)

smashedheadcat
05-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Hey Shannon, I have a buddy that has a SVO, and he's looking for side marker lights for it (parking lights/turn signals). Do you know any place he could get some at? BTW Awesome numbers from the 4 cyl. :thumbsup: A little more fuel pressure, and you'll see the 300 rwhp mark for sure. Great job with the car!

NO 5 OH
05-23-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
Hey Shannon, I have a buddy that has a SVO, and he's looking for side marker lights for it (parking lights/turn signals). Do you know any place he could get some at? BTW Awesome numbers from the 4 cyl. :thumbsup: A little more fuel pressure, and you'll see the 300 rwhp mark for sure. Great job with the car!

Hey thanks for the props Josh... I appreciate it :thumbsup:

As for information regarding marker lights for your friend, he'll be running into the same situation I'm in now. The best people to contact looking for marker lights would be:

Daniel Carpenter Reproductions (800) 637-8264
Performance Parts Incorporated (703) 742-6207
Special Vehicle Products Unlimited (205) 629-3126

The first two I mentioned are in the vendors section... you can look for more info there. Paul at SVPU (last number mentioned) doesn't have the marker lights that I know of, but he can more than likely put him in contact with somebody that has them. Tell your friend to be prepared to be sitting down when he gets prices... the marker lights are obsolete from Ford and are not cheap :eek: :eek:

HTH,

Shannon