PDA

View Full Version : TEST RESULTS Shifter - Pro 5.0 versus Steeda

winddysvt
05-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Hello everyone --
I miss y'all-- we've been way too busy here...
but I guess that's a good thing...

Anyway --

Short Throw Shifters --

Pro 5.0 versus Steeda:

Tim and I wanted to give this a good six weeks before we submitted our "report"...

Both of us like the Pro 5.0 better. Six stars for the Pro 5.0! :bounce: The problem is that the handle that comes with it is too short for Tim and I so we had to purchase the longer handle which is not included. The Pro 5.0 is less expensive than the Steeda - but it ends up costing more when you order the longer handles... thats the only downside.... We did get them at a discount since we purchased two of them.
Thanks Pro 5.0 -- you guys are great !! :thumbsup:

If you have a Steeda and are pleased with it -- keep it. We were not, and know several others who felt the same way... if your not happy with it -- try switching like we did.

If you do not have a short throw shifter -- we recommend the Pro 5.0.

I'm thrilled with it !! Were both thrilled with it... No more missing third gear -- it goes in with just a touch !! Tim's toe/heel has improved greatly now that third gear is a guarantee.... and hopefully I'll get it soon. The more I watch him, the more I learn..... The toe/heel thing is a bit confusing for me...

Back to subject:
The Steeda was good -- but we feel that the Pro 5.0 is better... Better response and better quality.

just our .02 cents worth.....
and, six weeks worth of testing and some extra money well spent....
We were able to sell the Steeda short throws so we believe $ wise, it balanced out. For those who purchased them, you received a good shifter at a great price....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

redsnake99
05-19-2003, 04:06 PM
I've been a Steeda fan from the start, that was my first mod on my 99 Cobra. I never missed a shift with it and have loved it from the start. Not having driven a car with the other shifter, I'm interested in more detail about the differences. Better quality? Better shifting? Please do some more convincing? Thanks.

:D

Ken 01-Cobra
05-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Before buying the Pro 5.0, I drove cars with the Steeda and the Pro 5.0 shifters. I prefered the Pro 5.0, even with it's short handle. (It isn't to short for me...it took about 2 days to get used to)

IIRC, I felt the Steeda was good, but didn't have the same solid "feel" that the Pro 5.0 had. It felt lighter and more fragile. Now, I am NOT saying it is, I am just saying that was how it felt when compared to the Pro 5.0. It also felt less positive in the 2nd to 3rd shift.

The Pro 5.0 had the solid feel as mentioned above. It also had the most positive movement into third gear. It also was built like a tank and I felt that even extreme power shifting would not put a dent in the thing! Bottom line, I put the Pro 5.0 in the GT. When I got a Cobra, part of the "deal" was they would install the Pro 5.0 I purchased free of charge. ;) I've never regretted that decision.

HOWEVER, I ALWAYS tell others to try to find others with the different shifters, try them, and find the one THEY are most comfortable with! There ARE differences, and those differences may mean that what I like would be a pain to you. :D

Andy M
05-19-2003, 08:07 PM
The 2000 R came with a B&M short throw shifter from the factory. I did not like it at all!! It was a sloppy shifter and I missed the 2-3 shift a couple of times with it...so I asked Steve at Houston Performance what he thought, and he recommended the Steeda Tri-Ax.

So, I tried it out and I LOVE IT!! the throw is much more precise than the B&M Ripper and when you come out of 2nd going to 3rd, the spring just moves the shifter directly into the right position.

I have been using the Tri-Ax now for a while and have a couple of thousand track miles on the car using it, and have thus far been extremely happy with it.

NJ2000R
05-19-2003, 11:24 PM
I also have the steeda triax, I love it, I've never missed a 2-3 shift like I had with the b&m, as andy noted....but part (or most) of that problem was the rubber bushing block between the shifter and the handle, which gave it a very rubbery feeling....I've heard good reports on both the steeda triax and the pro 5.0 and who knows, maybe one day I'll try the pro 5.0 "just because" ;)

97CasperCobra
05-19-2003, 11:57 PM
I've have the Tri-ax in my '97 for a few years now and have been throughly impressed with it....untill about a month ago. Missing shifts and hard to get into gear. Wasn't the bump stops or anything, thought it was the tranny. Put the stocker back on and it was smooth as silk. I drove a friend's '02 GT with the Pro5.0 and it was nice. As much as I hate getting rid of my Tri-Ax, I may purchase the 5.0 to try for a while. Both are great, just want something a little different. :thumbsup:

rpalmer
05-20-2003, 06:17 AM
ANY shifter is going to be waay better than the stocker.

I love my Tri-Ax and I'm not going to rip the Steeda out and get something different because I'm quite satisfied, but based on these reports I think I'd try a Pro 5.0 on my next Cobra.

Definitely see if you can sit in both a Steeda and Pro 5.0 equipped Cobra and row around before making the purchase, but I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice. The improvement over the stock shifter is astronomical.

WinddySVT, how would you rate both shifters on a scale of one to a thousand? If the stock shifter is a 1 and the Pro 5.0 is a 1000, where does the Steeda fall?

Are we talking about a personal preference type difference between a 950 and a 1000 or is it more dramatic than that?

-RP

Mystic_Cobra
05-20-2003, 07:48 AM
My Mystic came with the Pro 5.0 and I agree with how positive and solid it feels every time I slam it into 2nd or 3rd. Shifting to third is a BREEZE. I've actually missed 2nd if you can believe it, but because of the crappy trans, not the shifter. I've never missed 3rd.
I will buy Pro 5.0 shifters again and again.

Ken 01-Cobra
05-20-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by rpalmer
ANY shifter is going to be waay better than the stocker.
100% agree!

how would you rate both shifters on a scale of one to a thousand? If the stock shifter is a 1 and the Pro 5.0 is a 1000, where does the Steeda fall?

Are we talking about a personal preference type difference between a 950 and a 1000 or is it more dramatic than that?
I did my test in 99, and based on my memory, I would say that the Steeda would be a 900 and the Pro 5.0 a 1000. If the Pro 5.0 wasn't around, I would definitely have a Steeda!

winddysvt
05-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by redsnake99
I've been a Steeda fan from the start, that was my first mod on my 99 Cobra. I never missed a shift with it and have loved it from the start. Not having driven a car with the other shifter, I'm interested in more detail about the differences. Better quality? Better shifting? Please do some more convincing? Thanks.

:D

===============

good question Dave... oh, and by the way -- we saw a house near us that was very similiar to yours, on a hilly country road -- it was beautiful... wish we could move!!

Anyway -
you know I'm not very good at explaining things...

but I'll do my best.

Tim feels that the "quality" of the Pro 5.0 is better. Just from lifting it out of the box -- it is more "substantial" ?? not sure if I'm using the right words.... We held the two of them in our hands and compared --
all I can say is that we see better quality in the Pro 5.0.

Again -- this is just our opinion -- don't go changing just cuz we said so -- find someone who has it and try it...

If it was just one of us that was having the problem, then we'd figure it was either us -- or the one shifter was "defective"...

However - both Cobra's had the problem, as well as the other two that we had. Steeda was good -- but there were those times that it irritated both of us!! Even our son Tom -- he never misses gears !! He did in our Cobra's and now he doesn't anymore.....

does that help any?

The Steeda is a very good shifter --- the Pro 5.0 is even better....

thats just how we feel after our little "test"...

:rolleyes: :thumbsup:

winddysvt
05-20-2003, 10:35 AM
and, to add to that .....

I have met about 5 people within this past year who feel the same way...

they say they've had enough and want to do what we did...

my question would be this ...
if some are having problems --

and some are not...

is it possible that they had a "defective" lot???? :jawdrop: :confused:

You know, like the tires on the Explorers a few years ago?:eek:

It is possible -- think about the problems that I had a few years ago with Trigger's springs from Steeda -- those were definitely defective ..... :(

its sad -- but it happens...

winddysvt
05-20-2003, 10:39 AM
Well said Ken ---

thank you...

like I said - Im not good at words..

so you put it in a nutshell for me.

:thumbsup: :bounce:

winddysvt
05-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by NJ2000R
I maybe one day I'll try the pro 5.0 "just because" ;)

===========

yup - the Steeda is a good shifter!!

We tried the Pro 5.0 for more reasons than one....

If we were not having problems - we would not have switched....

We checked everything that we could....
Changed out the shifters and now we don't have the problem anymore......
to us -- it means it was probably more than likely the shifter unit itself...

winddysvt
05-20-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by rpalmer

-RP

=========

for my sake --- I'm making it a scale of 1-10....

the Pro 5.0 in our opinion is a 10.

The Steeda would be about 7.5.

A friend of ours cracked up his car last year -- it wasn't totalled --

Guess what?

The Steeda shifter cracked / fractured in many places....

what does that mean? Shouldn't something that solid hold together ? No glass was broken on the car whatsoever.... :confused:

winddysvt
05-20-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Mystic_Cobra
My Mystic came with the Pro 5.0 and I agree with how positive and solid it feels every time I slam it into 2nd or 3rd. Shifting to third is a BREEZE. I've actually missed 2nd if you can believe it, but because of the crappy trans, not the shifter. I've never missed 3rd.
I will buy Pro 5.0 shifters again and again.

=========

maybe I should contact the people that purchased ours from us and ask them what they think.....

Hey -- if they have the same problem, I'll buy them back and go to Steeda...

Or, maybe Tim and I are just a bit on the extreme side when it comes to being picky.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

especially me... I'm the one that wanted to do this.:thumbsup:

Ken 01-Cobra
05-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by winddysvt
Well said Ken ---

thank you...

like I said - Im not good at words..

so you put it in a nutshell for me.

No problem! I am always willing to help. As MANY have pointed out, words are never a problem for me. ;)

And my rating was based on one test drive. Yours is based on actual ownership experience. Hence, I would tend to give more weight to your rating than to mine.

winddysvt
05-21-2003, 03:26 PM
Thanks Ken --

I was born with lots of things to say, but not knowing the right way to say it...

how's that?

Anyway, Trigger is breaking in fantasticallically --
or is that fantistically?

It seems like everytime I drive her she gets smoother and smoother --

changing this shifter out put the sparkling finish on the modification list...

now -- I can just drive her and enjoy her... :thumbsup: :bounce:

that is -- Now, to get rid of this Flu that I caught somewhere... its awful! :(

Ken 01-Cobra
05-21-2003, 04:04 PM
Sorry to hear you're feeling punky! I hope it isn't the flu, and you're back up and driving in no time! ;)

winddysvt
05-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Ken 01-Cobra
Sorry to hear you're feeling punky! I hope it isn't the flu, and you're back up and driving in no time! ;)

=============

It is the flu Ken --
i got it bad....

I'm suppossed to get my flu shot every spring cuz my immune system is a mess.... and, I put it off so now I'm paying for it...

I have to go on medication immediately when I get sick or it goes into something worse.. At least, this time I remembered that part of it!!

:bounce: :thumbsup:

Ken 01-Cobra
05-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Well, drink lots of hot chicken broth and get well soon!

spittincobra01
05-21-2003, 09:48 PM
I too have the pro 5.0, and like the short handle. I tried a couple different shifters in cars, like the steeda tri-ax, pro 5.0, b&m, hurst and the pro 5.0 was tighter, more precise, felt more durrable, comfortable. Thats me tho, I'm not nockin anyones decision if it differs from mine, just stating my opinion.
Matt
oh, and I like the short handle even tho I have the seat all the way back.... After all, I am 6'2"... no problems reaching it at all!

hot98cobra
05-22-2003, 10:38 AM
I HAD the Steeda Tri-Ax. No more! I hated the "notchy" shift feel. I installed the Pro 5.0 a few days ago. I am VERY amazed by the differences. He shifts so smooth now! I did install the tri-ax in a '96 GT vert and am even less impressed. Time to get my Cobra out to the track to see if I can get evidence with my tests.

Those of you that haven't had problems with the Steeda...good! Certain mods are better for some people than others, and this may very well be one of those mods. The Pro 5.0 works well with me. The Steeda didn't.

winddysvt
05-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by hot98cobra
I HAD the Steeda Tri-Ax. No more! I hated the "notchy" shift feel. I installed the Pro 5.0 a few days ago. I am VERY amazed by the differences. He shifts so smooth now! I did install the tri-ax in a '96 GT vert and am even less impressed. Time to get my Cobra out to the track to see if I can get evidence with my tests.

Those of you that haven't had problems with the Steeda...good! Certain mods are better for some people than others, and this may very well be one of those mods. The Pro 5.0 works well with me. The Steeda didn't.

==============

thanks Angy !!

Hey Dave -- are you there?

Now that you've heard from more than one of us --

what do you think?? like we said -- don't change just because we said so... change if you are not completely happy with it...

:rolleyes:

tgentry
06-17-2003, 12:51 PM
I put a Steeda in my '96 back in '98. It's the older, steel handled model and I've always liked it, but now you have me thinking maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

I think I'll get a Pro 5.0 for the ASC/McLaren and compare the two.

SpeedFreakSVT
06-17-2003, 06:18 PM
i have a steeda tri ax and i love it... although i havent tried a pro 5.0 but w/e.

winddysvt
06-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by tgentry
I put a Steeda in my '96 back in '98. It's the older, steel handled model and I've always liked it, but now you have me thinking maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

I think I'll get a Pro 5.0 for the ASC/McLaren and compare the two.

=================

good idea Tom --

if you do so ---

will you please post your results here ??

just curious ...

I thought I absolutely loved our Steeda shifters,
at first --
until my amount and quality of driving increased...
granted - I will always be "learning" and "improving"....

then I realized, I needed and wanted more.....

can't help it -- I'm picky.... :rolleyes:

I drive an SVT 5 speed every day
year round...
--

can you blame me?

Ken 01-Cobra
06-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Did you see my comments in the MGW thread re: the MGW shifter arm? I drove for 4.5 years with the standard (short) Pro 5.0 handle until someone convinced me to try the MGW one. I now rate it as a MUST HAVE if you have a Pro 5.0! Just the speed of the 2-3 shift is worth it, let along not having to reach for any shifts! And I had forgotten how good it felt to drive with your arm resting on the arm rest and the shifter still in your hand. ;) I know, but it's a nostalgia thing. :D

It WILL take some getting used to after 4.5 years with the other shift arm, so get it early before the other one is ingrained!

winddysvt
06-26-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Ken 01-Cobra
Did you see my comments in the MGW thread re: the MGW shifter arm? I drove for 4.5 years with the standard (short) Pro 5.0 handle until someone convinced me to try the MGW one. I now rate it as a MUST HAVE if you have a Pro 5.0! Just the speed of the 2-3 shift is worth it, let along not having to reach for any shifts! And I had forgotten how good it felt to drive with your arm resting on the arm rest and the shifter still in your hand. ;) I know, but it's a nostalgia thing. :D

It WILL take some getting used to after 4.5 years with the other shift arm, so get it early before the other one is ingrained! ===

thanks Ken !!

Pro 5.0 makes the shorter handle for it now ---

they sent me an email months ago before they "advertised" it... we purchased two and tried them and are 150% satisfied......

I believe they have them available on line now!

now -- if I could get one for Bully that would be great !! It does have a short throw shifter in it -- I don't think they will be making one for an SVT Contour anytime soon.... oh well --
Bully stays stock.

:rolleyes:

ac427cobra
07-06-2003, 11:40 PM
Thanks to all for the great input on this subject. :thumbsup:

I will be putting a shifter in soon and will use the information here to help me make my decision.

:) :cool: