PDA

View Full Version : My First one

SVT ME
05-20-2003, 09:20 PM
Just purchased a 1999 Rio Red Convertable SVT Cobra. I havent stopped smiling from the time I drove it home. It appears to be a very clean, well maintaned car. History is one owner but it was purchased from an auto action by the dealer. The car has 50,000 miles on it. They want to sell me an extended warenty that will take me out 6 years or up to 100,000 miles. Which ever comes first. The cost, $1,800.00! My question is, What has been the reliability of any owners out ther that own this car? What have been the repair histories on those cars of the same year an similiar milage?

JBejarano
05-20-2003, 10:10 PM
have had mine for about 2 and a half years (just under 35k miles) and have not had to take it to the dealer for any mechanical problems what so ever. :thumbsup:

SVT ME
05-21-2003, 09:00 PM
Is there anything to this thing that I am hearing about the car not hitting the publicised 320 HP from the factory? Did you experience this and if so what steps were taken to have Ford correct it?

cobrabitn
05-22-2003, 12:31 PM
The 99's had a low horsepower problem due to the intake and the exhaust.

Ford's "fix" encompassed a reflashing of the computer, a new exhaust system (cat back) and an extrude honed intake. Allof that brought the car up to the advertised 320 hp and then some. Take your car to the dealer and see if they fix has been performed on it. if not, then I would insist that they do it at their cost. Then I would take it to the dyno and see if it puts out at least 268 to 278 ho at the rear wheels.

Let us know how it turns out?
:thumbsup:

Spiffy668
05-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Make sure all the recalls are done while you're at it. The steering knuckle recall was not done on mine when I purchased it and I had it go out and I swear I was on the ocean during a hurricane. :D Call up the service dept. (I only go to SVT dealers) and give them your VIN. They should tell you what was done. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn
05-23-2003, 09:34 AM
Also there is an e-brake recall on all SN 95 bodied cars so let them check that out too.

You may also want to go to our Gingerman event and meet up with club members to have a good tiime. Gingerman is in MI just over the IL border. We also have a "Mississippi River Run" cruise coming up in the Fall. I think anyone who goes will have a good time! :thumbsup:

Spiffy668
05-23-2003, 10:29 AM
LOL, I don't think we're giving him much confidence in his purchase talking about all these recalls. :rotf:

redsnake99
05-23-2003, 12:17 PM
If you plan to make modifications to the car, engine, suspension, etc., then I would not buy the warranty.

I've had my 99 for almost three years now, and love it. I did make mods and the last time I took it in, warranty was revoked, didn't cover the transmission problem I had with reverse gear.

:bounce: