PDA

View Full Version : Thank GOD for the fuel cutoff! (Story time, kinda long)

Spiffy668
05-21-2003, 09:44 AM
So, this morning I happen to get into it with the guy that lives in my apartment complex on my way to work. Fortunate to catch a red together, we both wait for the green, light changes, and we're off. He gets the jump on me, about half a fender, I catch him in 2nd, in fact I heard him shifting quite a bit sooner than me and by the time we shut it down, I was about a bumper ahead. Really close race. Now comes the scary part, there was a car in his lane coming up, so I move over one lane just in case he wanted an option. Well, seems the car didn't think the race was over as it was still accelerating. :eek: I didn't realize this till I happen to engage the clutch and the RPMs shoot through the roof! :eek: :eek: WTF? So, I kill the car, throw on the hazards and coast to the next light. Floor mat seemed to have moved, so I thought that was the problem. Started up, VROOOOOOOOOM, nope. But now I seem to have everyone's undivided attention. :D So I pop the hood, checked the accelerator cable and throttle body for movement and if there is any stickage, nope. Start her up, instant 6K RPMs, off she goes. One last option before I think about calling a wrecker was to check the loud pedal. Bingo! Sucker was buried and stuck in the rug. :eek: Start her up again, 3rd time is the charm. :thumbsup:

Drove the rest of the way to work mildly. No idle problems to speak of, no power loss whatsoever. So, I do have some questions. :D

Did the fuel cutoff save my ass?
When I check the car tonight, anything I should listen/look for to see if there is a problem?
And last, anything I can do to limit the travel of the accelerator so maybe something like this doesn't happen again?

johnbasf
05-21-2003, 05:40 PM
The rev limiter should have got it.

Black Snake
05-22-2003, 12:57 AM
Well the fuel cut-off saved your motor... sort of. Cutting fuel is not a good thing. I don't think you did any damage, but I wouldn't attempt that trick every day.

Same thing happened to me twice before I realized the pedal was getting stuck under the floor mat. It scared the crap out of me when the RPMs shoot through the roof. :eek:

Check the carpet to see why it's getting stuck.

Oh yeah, um, street racing is bad, m-kay. :D

Spiffy668
05-22-2003, 09:34 AM
hehe, cutting fuel is bad, but better than a piston sized hole in the block. :eek: I can see where the pedal has been digging into the carpet and a friend of mine showed me the pedal mod. I'm going to be doing this mod this weekend. Should get my pedal closer to the brake pedal and off the floor. If anyone else might want to do it as well:

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm

:thumbsup:

Aaron94
05-24-2003, 03:15 PM
let us know how that pedal mod goes, i have always wondered if the location of the pedal was restricting WOT. also, if it stops before the carpet now, what are you putting stress on when you mash the gas? that nylon piece? do you feel like you are risking stretching the throttle cable?

Spiffy668
05-25-2003, 05:17 PM
Well, instead of the metal stop at the end of the cable it will apply the pressure to the spacer. I changed to vinyl tubing with zip ties since I couldn't find a small enough clamp and the fact that no one seems to know what a hollow nylon spacer is. :doubt: Once I put it on, pedal slack was non existant (see pics below). I have a better feel for the throttle now since I lost the slack plus the pedal is much closer to my foot. At WOT, the pedal was barely to the floor. I'm thinking that if anything will give in this system it will be the spacer shinking rather than the cable stretching. I was thinking about testing WOT by having someone hold the linkage on the TB all the way and look at the gas pedal myself. Any ideas/thoughts on that? Overall, I'm pleased so far. :thumbsup:

Before:

Spiffy668
05-25-2003, 05:17 PM
After (look at the difference by looking at the cuts in the carpet from the accelerator pedal):

Spiffy668
05-25-2003, 08:11 PM
Here's what the spacer looks like

Spiffy668
05-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Since the stop on the end was too large for the .17" diameter tube, I had to slice it down the middle. Subsequently it loses its strength. I added zip ties to keep it from bulging. It torques upwards when you put pressure to the pedal, you can kind of see it here.

tgentry
06-17-2003, 01:40 PM
This may not matter to most people, but the new pedal height looks bad for heel/toe downshifting.