PDA

View Full Version : Anyone close to GA want to help me out???

White98SVT
05-22-2003, 01:15 PM
Well I decided to go all out and try and get some BBK LT's as soon as I can. The thing is, I've never done this before. So I thought I'd put out a feeler to see if anyone close to GA that has done this could and would lend a helping hand. Within a reasonable distance I would be very willing to drive to you so you're not out. Plus supply some beer, food to cook out etc.

Don't feel obligated, just wanted to see.

Thanks.

PS--Right now I'm actually in SE GA near Savannah at school so I'm pretty close to most of the SE, at least the coastal areas.

smashedheadcat
05-23-2003, 03:51 AM
I would do the whole swap for ya, but I'm up here in Eastern North Carolina. :( I'll always turn wrenches for beer. ;)

White98SVT
05-23-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
I would do the whole swap for ya, but I'm up here in Eastern North Carolina. :( I'll always turn wrenches for beer. ;)

Eastern NC isn't that far. I'm only like 1 hour from Hilton Head, SC which is just on the coast. I'd definately be up for supporting you with some beer as well as getting right in there and helping out. It's just up to you man, I know that it's not a fun job. That's why I said I'd be willing to come to someone as well as buy the beer etc.

temjin9876
05-24-2003, 07:19 PM
did someone say beer? I'm in. j/k

you know I am always up to lend a helping hand. I have never done it either but mine are on their way and are going in in 3 weeks. Me and my mechanic are doing it so I will take notes. I am getting BBK's too.

If you need some help just e-mail me buddy

White98SVT
05-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by temjin9876
did someone say beer? I'm in. j/k

you know I am always up to lend a helping hand. I have never done it either but mine are on their way and are going in in 3 weeks. Me and my mechanic are doing it so I will take notes. I am getting BBK's too.

If you need some help just e-mail me buddy

Sweet man you're the man:thumbsup:

If you and your mechanic are doing them, how much is he charging you? Heck, if he'd swing me a cheap deal then we could do that or by all means if after your install you think you can handle it with me and a person or two then let me know. I figure it would take about a weekend or so maybe so who knows.

Thanks a ton for the offer Mike:thumbsup:

temjin9876
05-24-2003, 08:29 PM
no problem

he is probably doing it for around $400-500...it kinda depends on his mood:D He has done two catbacks for me for $40 together! It really depends on a lot of factors. After the install I will probably have enough info to help out to save you some dough if this is too much. My buddy (who has a nice '68 289) said he can help you too. He has access to lots of tools in case you need some.

do you have jackstands or access to a lift and are you doing this down at school or in Powder Springs?

all I need is like two-weeks notice so I can make sure I am off of work.

p.s. Where are you getting yours? Mine were $811 shipped (ceramic coated w/ catted h-pipe) at fastlane motorsports using our 15% discount

White98SVT
05-25-2003, 10:51 AM
Wow man $400-500 is a little high for me:bounce: . If I did this I would be doing it at home. I've got tons of jackstands and a couple floor jacks but no access to a lift. However, I am friends with the parts manager at Ford down here and if I could do it on a Saturday, I could get access to a lift and power tools possibly but it would have to be down here. I think that I could easily get more help up in Atlanta so more than likely that's where I would do it.

I'll be able to give you plenty of notice as to when I'm going to do it. I'm actually trying to work out a deal on some used ones simply because it will be a lot cheaper than buying new ones. Probably save me around 300 or so bucks so that's what I'm going to do.

smashedheadcat
05-25-2003, 01:07 PM
I did my swap with basic hand tools, a floor jack, and 4 jackstands. I can't remember exactly how long it took me, but I've definatley gotten a lot faster at it. I've always left the K-member installed. I can do it all by myself in about 6 hours I think. Or in that neighborhood. I did my clutch (removing headers, trans, driveshaft, replacing clutch, flywheel) and putting everything back together in about 8 hours I think. It's really not too hard of an install. It can be a PINTA, but a lot of time is spent removing easy things. Like air induction and all that. And, trying to maneuver the headers up in there. It can be done. Just try to start all the bolts first. Oh, if you ever are going to pay more than $300 for a header job, bring the car up here, and i'll do it. It's not that big of a deal. I'm always looking for a way to meet everyone, and possibly help out in any way I can. If I can save someone $500 then that'd be all the better. :)

White98SVT
05-25-2003, 02:59 PM
I did my swap with basic hand tools, a floor jack, and 4 jackstands. I can't remember exactly how long it took me, but I've definatley gotten a lot faster at it. I've always left the K-member installed. I can do it all by myself in about 6 hours I think. Or in that neighborhood. I did my clutch (removing headers, trans, driveshaft, replacing clutch, flywheel) and putting everything back together in about 8 hours I think. It's really not too hard of an install. It can be a PINTA, but a lot of time is spent removing easy things. Like air induction and all that. And, trying to maneuver the headers up in there. It can be done. Just try to start all the bolts first. Oh, if you ever are going to pay more than $300 for a header job, bring the car up here, and i'll do it. It's not that big of a deal. I'm always looking for a way to meet everyone, and possibly help out in any way I can. If I can save someone $500 then that'd be all the better. :)

Honestly that $500 ballpark is common in Atlanta for a LT install on a 4V. In all honesty, if you can do it and have done it so many times then I'm all for making a road trip up there. Like I said I'd be more than willing to buy beer, dinner etc. It's just that I'm a litle worried about going at it alone. Some of the guys I hang with around here have done LT's but they've all been on Fox body 5.0's which are different as we both know. I will probably be looking at a late July early August install. That's probably about the time I'll be able to get the cash etc. If you don't mind, I'd make the trip.

temjin9876
05-25-2003, 06:31 PM
maybe both me and steve can drive up there and we can all put each others on. sounds like a pizza and beer party to me

I appreciate the offer

smashedheadcat
05-25-2003, 10:13 PM
I'm always looking for a getaway, so do you guys think it'd be easier if I came to you guys?? I can do that instead of the both of ya making a long road trip out of it. I'll do it for gas money. :) Late July/early August sounds good. Just as long as it's not on August 8th (that's my g/f's birthday).

White98SVT
05-26-2003, 09:55 AM
I'm always looking for a getaway, so do you guys think it'd be easier if I came to you guys?? I can do that instead of the both of ya making a long road trip out of it. I'll do it for gas money. :) Late July/early August sounds good. Just as long as it's not on August 8th (that's my g/f's birthday).

It's up to you man, I'm very willing to pay for your gas etc. I did a quick mapquest on our locations and the drive is about 9-10 hours from your location in NC to Atlanta. I can't do it around August 4th simply because it's my birthday:D If we did it in Atlanta we could do it at my parent's house since I'm living away from there. If we did it at where I go to school, I could maybe get my buddy's garage at his house possibly.

Mike would you want to wait on the install or are you itching to get those bad boys put on?

temjin9876
05-26-2003, 04:53 PM
I just might wait then. I could split the gas money for him with you steve. if you want. My girlfriend can supply the pizza (pizza hut manager...always a plus:thumbsup: )

hehe...sounds like a good idea and a helluva fun weekend

White98SVT
05-26-2003, 07:55 PM
I just might wait then. I could split the gas money for him with you steve. if you want. My girlfriend can supply the pizza (pizza hut manager...always a plus:thumbsup: )

hehe...sounds like a good idea and a helluva fun weekend

Pizza Hut manager...sweet. I'd definately split the gas money with you no problem:thumbsup:

White98SVT
05-27-2003, 12:12 AM
Well I've actually got a few places that we could do the work at. Only problem is some people have more tools than others but most have air compressors so that should help out somewhat.

If this does happen, we should be well covered.:thumbsup:

Shooting for a late July time frame seems like the best thing. Maybe a weekend install?

temjin9876
05-27-2003, 12:16 AM
how about july 26-27? that seems really good for me (or any weekend before that)

smashedheadcat
05-27-2003, 03:22 PM
I'm good for it. I can bring a small set of tools. There aren't many tools involved in this swap. I believe the header bolts are 12mm. The only big socket/wrench we'll need is 21mm for the motor mounts. I can bring a floor jack or some jackstands, and possibly all the tools needed if I have to, so we've got the tools covered. So it's 3 guys, and 2 header swaps in 1 weekend, with basic hand tools. I'll bring the beer:D.

Ken 01-Cobra
05-27-2003, 04:34 PM
If you guys do this, let me know what weekend and all that. I may show up to "supervise" if I don't have other plans that weekend. ;)

smashedheadcat
05-27-2003, 10:47 PM
When we're ready to do this, I'll give ya a call Ken. I'll be a pro at header installs when it's time to do yours;)

BTW. There are somethings you need to get besides the just the headers and h-pipe. I believe the mounting hardware comes with them IIRC. But, it doesn't come with header gaskets. Also, if you go with an off-road pipe of some sort, MIL Eliminators will keep the check engine light off. Definately nice. But, biggest thing, YOU WILL NEED O2 EXTENSION WIRES. My stock wires were only a few inches short, but they still wouldn't work. So, header gaskets and extension wires and that should cover just about everything. One more thing. I modified the header flange on the passenger side. It was to ease the installation when it came to the oil dipstick. It's a pain in the a$$ to work around that dang thing. If you want to modify yours as well, I'll need a grinder of some type. (I can bring one just in case)

temjin9876
05-27-2003, 11:11 PM
this is gonna be fun....hehe

smashedheadcat
05-28-2003, 01:06 PM
this is gonna be fun....hehe

It'll probably be a PINTA for me to take a picture of that "modification" to the header flange, but I'll try to get a descent picture of what I did. This is definately going to be fun:D

smashedheadcat
05-29-2003, 10:43 PM
I just read about the emission tubes for the 98 cobras. I guess there's some kind of "Modifying" job that's needed to mate the stock emission tubes to the long tubes. I've never done this, so I don't know what to expect??:confused:??

White98SVT
05-30-2003, 12:11 AM
I just read about the emission tubes for the 98 cobras. I guess there's some kind of "Modifying" job that's needed to mate the stock emission tubes to the long tubes. I've never done this, so I don't know what to expect??:confused:??

I'm not 100% familar with the issue but I know what you're talking about. I'll research it and see what I can come up with.

White98SVT
05-30-2003, 12:56 AM
Found this thread over on the Corral: Click (http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=304816&highlight=cobra+long+tube+headers)

smashedheadcat
05-30-2003, 03:12 AM
That's the thread that I made me aware of this issue. I don't know what route you want to take. Are both long tube candidates 98's???

White98SVT
05-30-2003, 08:35 AM
That's the thread that I made me aware of this issue. I don't know what route you want to take. Are both long tube candidates 98's???

Yeah we're both 98's. I'm going to do a little more research and see what I can find out about the differences between the two.