PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption, what should I expect?

SVT ME
05-24-2003, 11:17 PM
OK, I have had the car one week now, and I havent stopped playing with it yet. To update you it has 51,000 miles, and runs great. My only concern is that it seems to go through about a quart of oil every 800 to 1,000 miles. The car had about 800 miles on the oil change when I picked it up. I have put on about 300 in the last week, and when I checked the oil it was 1.3 quarts low. Now granted, the first week I had it, between my joy rides and giving everyone at work a private showing of just what 320 horses can do. it hasent exactly been driven like we were taught in drivers ed class. But hey, we all own one because of what it can do, right? Any way. Should I be concerned by this, or is this normal for this kind of performance?:bounce:

tcrews
05-24-2003, 11:29 PM
First off...make sure you check the oil only after the engine has been off for a number of hours....it takes quite awhile for the oil to drain out of the heads and back in to the oilpan.

Other than that...oil consumption should be close to zero between changes....though some will have some loss while other won't.

steve
06-21-2003, 06:08 AM
dear 1999 cobra mustang owner. I noticed the same problem in my 1999 cobra. I called SVT and they said 1 quart every 900 mi is acceptable. I could not believe it. I WAS burning about a quart and a half every 3000 mi while I was using Mobil 1. I NOW switched to REDLINE SYNTHETIC OIL 5W-30 TO SEE IF IT BURNS LESS, HOPEFULLY SO. I'VE HEARD ALOT OF AWESOME things about REDLINE oil. I WAS told it's vastly SUPERIOR to Mobil 1. IT doesn't deteriorate as fast as MOBIL1 and it provides less Friction then Mobil 1. That means more Horsepower. I put REDLINE in my motor, trans and differential, and I have noticed a difference in power a little bit, and every bit counts. The stuff costs $7.99 a quart, but it's worth your investment [toy]. Look up REDLINE oil and read the testimonials,you won't believe how good this stuff really is. Put it in your tranny, motor,and diff and you won't be dissapointed. I'll let you know if I continue to burn 1 1/2 quarts every 3000k, hopefully not.E-mail me and lets discuss our awesome muscle cars. Good luck, sincerly steve b.

SVT ME
07-01-2003, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will check out Redline. However I have put on another 1000 miles from my last post, and I have noticed that it is not going through it like I originally thought. I think what happened is that I picked it up from the dealer with about 800 miles on the oil change. I think what happened is who ever did the oil change put in 5 quarts and not 6 like the cobra engine requires. that is what my guess is.
As far as the car, it is awsome. I have always appreciated muscle cars, and have had Firebirds in the past. This blows them away! I love everything about the car. The other day I was next to an Audi A6 convertable at a stoplight. He initiated the race, It was over before I even hit 3rd, he saw it was a lost cause. It was great.:thumbsup: