PDA

View Full Version : New gear vibration

Karlfly
05-26-2003, 04:16 PM
I just had my 4:10's installed and I noticed a slight vibration at 70 mph. Then after I broke the thing in, I took it up around 100 and at 90-100 mph and up it got real bad. Any Ideas?

I replaced all of the bearings, I basically rebuilt the whole rear end. However, my axle bearings were bad and had slightly pitted my axles, so I install the repair bearing kit in it.

:cussing:

sn8kbit
05-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Make sure they put the driveshaft back in exactly as they took it out. Believe it or not, a lot of shops don't.

SlowCobra
05-26-2003, 05:57 PM
If that does not help, replace it with an Alum driveshaft. I did and it works great!

cobrabitn
05-26-2003, 10:22 PM
Actually it sounds like the indexing of the driveshaft. Once you change gears, you have to reindex the shaft to make sure it goes in to the new indexing position (this may not be the same as the original spot) because you changed gears in the car.

You may have to play with it till you get it right and it is time consuming but when it's right, it'll be smooth sailing from there.

Slide the driveshaft in the transmission and mount it up. if it still vibrates, take it back out and turn the shaft 1/4 turn and rebolt it. Then try it again to see if the vibration got better or worse?

Keep at it till you get the vibration out. Let us know how it works out?

Laytah!

Dave's Snake
05-26-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn

Laytah!

Hmmmmmm I wonder were you got that saying :D :thumbsup:

Dave

cobrabitn
05-26-2003, 10:42 PM
I dunno, a little birdie told it to me and then his Snake spit NOS at me......LOL.....:rotf:

Dave's Snake
05-26-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
I dunno, a little birdie told it to me and then his Snake spit NOS at me......LOL.....:rotf:

LMAO

So I don't highjack this thread I went with the AL driveshaft after my gear install and it helped A LOT.

Dave

Karlfly
05-31-2003, 12:41 PM
The guy who installed my rear end is saying that my bearings were so bad that maybe my u-joint is bad. What's up with that possibility? I have always known u-joints to make a low speed, vibe not at 70-100. Anyone have any other ideas?