PDA

View Full Version : 01 Cobra Hops Whan smoking tires

milligsc
05-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Anyone know why my 01 cobra hops when I try to smoke the tires? Everything is stock, car had 10k. Is this normal?

I suspect it has something to do with independent rear suspension.

Bartman01
05-30-2003, 02:21 PM
IRS = Wheel hop. Ford's attempt at an IRS in the Mustang using the live axle mounting points = severe wheel hop.

Why/where are you trying to smoke your tires? If you are on street tires, you are just wasting your time. Just wastes the tread and makes the tires greasy.

I have street tires on my car, and the only times I have had wheel hop (bad enough to notice) were in a bad rain storm (trying to get traction), and when my rear end was messed up and wearing the outer edges severely.

A couple of warnings:

1) If Ford inspects your wheel wells and finds rubber in there, they will consider the car abused and make you fight tooth and nail to get any warranty coverage.

2) If you fix (or reduce) the hop problem with the IRS, you run the risk breaking driveline parts (like the half-shafts) unless you beef them up too.

milligsc
05-30-2003, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the reply. I occasionaly like to smoke the tires for no other reason than I like to do it from time to time.

I traded in a 98 gt for the 01 cobra and was surprised to experience the wheel hop issue. It sounds like my tire smokin days are over.

Do you think a traction controlled launch from a stoplight is more effective than the atypical long burnout with eventual tire hookup?

Why the traction control off switch then?

Bartman01
05-30-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by milligsc
Do you think a traction controlled launch from a stoplight is more effective than the atypical long burnout with eventual tire hookup?

Why the traction control off switch then?

Neither is most effective.

TC on will slow your car down.

Atypical long burnout with eventual tire hookup may look fast, but it is one of the slowest ways to take off. Possibly even slower than leaving TC on.

Best way to launch is to keep your tires right on the edge of traction by slipping the clutch out and modulating the throttle as needed to keep them from all out spinning. Throttle shouldn't be all the way to the floor until you are at a speed where traction can be maintained. Done just right, you get just a chirp of the tires. Essentially, you use your right foot as your Traction Control.

Most of the driving you see on TV (or in videos) is done for appearance, not speed or effectivness. For example, sliding around corners is usually the slowest way through them, but it looks cool.