PDA

View Full Version : Hoosier Virgin needs help

Black Horse
06-05-2003, 10:12 PM
No...its not what you are thinking, I'm not even from Indiana...

Next week is my first time out on Hoosiers (this ought to be a real experience over street tires). Any recommendations for cold/hot tire pressures and any hints to help me loose my track tire cherry?

I'm running the 16" 255/50's r3s03 - already scuffed and cycled.

AI/X #08
06-06-2003, 12:18 AM
In my AGS car I run 41 front and 40 rear cold. This ends up around 49 and 48 with the left intermitently a little higher. In my extreme car, I run 40 and 39 with the same hot temps. It has an SLA and doesn't need the air pressure as badly. Mark

Cobra-R
06-06-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by AI/X #08
In my AGS car I run 41 front and 40 rear cold. This ends up around 49 and 48 with the left intermitently a little higher. In my extreme car, I run 40 and 39 with the same hot temps. It has an SLA and doesn't need the air pressure as badly. Mark

What does your car weigh? I was always told to run around 36-38lbs Hot, since I increased the pressure up to the range you are mentioning, my tire wear has decreased dramatically.

kevin
06-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Cobra-R
What does your car weigh? I was always told to run around 36-38lbs Hot, since I increased the pressure up to the range you are mentioning, my tire wear has decreased dramatically. and your speed.....opps. wrong forum:D

svt_coupe
06-06-2003, 12:47 PM
Hoosiers require a bit more air pressure than a typical DOT RR tire. I used to run 38F/35R COLD. The results were pretty good. That is with a nearly stock suspension (at the time) on a lowered Mustang with -2.5 camber and around +5 degrees of caster.

Check this out:

http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

Shugg

Black Horse
06-06-2003, 01:50 PM
I appreciate all of the guidance.

Anything I should look out for or expect moving up from the street tires to the Hoosiers? (other than some improvement in laps times I hope):bounce:

AI/X #08
06-06-2003, 03:18 PM
As some good folks here have mentioned, there are some discrepencies with Hoosiers. When I ran my Goodyears in my AGS car, which weighs around 2900 without me, I ran 34 -32 cold. The hoosiers just liked more pressure. I started at the same pressures, and just kept going up. I might be a little high with the Extreme car since it's and SLA car, but another car that is an SLA car that is extremely quick runs even higher pressures. It all depends on your car, and you'll have to do some tire temps to know for sure, but it seems you have some good starting points. Mark

Cobra-R
06-06-2003, 04:15 PM
I always resisted raising the pressure because it seemed that the tires would start feeling funny when I got above 40 lbs cold. I would chicken out and back the pressure back down.

From Shuggs link I saw this:

"Higher pressures will improve the performance capability but will require a more sensitive feel to take advantage of the increase.

One characteristic of the tires is the tendency to "skate" initially (when inflation pressures are correct). It is important to resist lowering the pressure to attempt to eliminate this feeling. Dropping the pressure may improve the "feel" of the tire however it will also lower the performance and increase the wear on the tire, particularly on the outside tread edge."

That explains a ton right there.

Thanks guys. :)

HistoricMustang
06-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Black Horse....................on what to watch for when moving up from street tires. I use the Hoosier Bias Ply on my early model (it is very much needed) and I believe the radials guys will tell you the same thing. The race tires do not "talk" to you, they just let go.

AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

kevin
06-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Black Horse
I appreciate all of the guidance.

Anything I should look out for or expect moving up from the street tires to the Hoosiers? (other than some improvement in laps times I hope):bounce:

i know nothing about your car. that being said. if you're moving from street to race tires then the safety check light comes on. when you move up on the tires eventually your desire and ability will go farther as well. so my suggestion for moving up on tires is, full roll cage, race seat, race harness, etc.

and as mentioned above. the race tires will grip better and you can take the turns faster, but your "feel" sensitivity needs to rachet up quite abit to feel the tires "letting go" at the edge of adherence.

just my soapy 2 cents worth

Black Horse
06-06-2003, 10:24 PM
Where else can you go and get feedback like this? And still no Indiana jokes (hey Dean?)

Just some background on me - I spent the last few years beating my '99 Cobra around the tracks, mostly stock, on street tires. Just bought a '95 R spec full-out race (older GT series - Motorola cup). I know in days of old when we could switch to slicks for the track of our oval car there was definately an "edge" to driving, just dont surpass it or.."hello wall". I have been able to gage my cornering on the "squeal" of the street tires.....now I have a whole new world to get use to.

I cant tell you how much I appreciate all of your feedback, comments, etc. I have a lot to learn, I'll try to keep my mouth shut and ears open.

I'm shooting to have my NASA comp lisc. by next year, or maybe by the end of this one depending on how many events I can make. I'm doing the SVTOA Gingerman next week (Th.) and the HPDE at Gingerman with NASA in July. Bare with me.....keep waving as you go flying past....just remeber, some day I intend to be the one accepting the wave.

- Dave

Cobra-R
06-07-2003, 10:14 AM
Where else can you go and get feedback like this? And still no Indiana jokes (hey Dean?)

Just some background on me - I spent the last few years beating my '99 Cobra around the tracks, mostly stock, on street tires. Just bought a '95 R spec full-out race (older GT series - Motorola cup). I know in days of old when we could switch to slicks for the track of our oval car there was definately an "edge" to driving, just dont surpass it or.."hello wall". I have been able to gage my cornering on the "squeal" of the street tires.....now I have a whole new world to get use to.

I cant tell you how much I appreciate all of your feedback, comments, etc. I have a lot to learn, I'll try to keep my mouth shut and ears open.

I'm shooting to have my NASA comp lisc. by next year, or maybe by the end of this one depending on how many events I can make. I'm doing the SVTOA Gingerman next week (Th.) and the HPDE at Gingerman with NASA in July. Bare with me.....keep waving as you go flying past....just remeber, some day I intend to be the one accepting the wave.

- Dave

Nice car, Dave!! What number R was that? Looking forward to seeing you next week. :):thumbsup:

Brian

johnbasf
06-07-2003, 11:13 AM
Dave, have you run the R on course yet? If not I would suggest making a couple of runs on street tires. Get the feel of the car before the Hoosiers.

kevin
06-07-2003, 12:30 PM
dave,

keep on asking the questions. we'll keep on giving our 2 cents (or more if we run into inflation).

i agree with john, you should start out with the street tires to get the feel of the car first.

nice looking car you have. have fun with it at gingerman. a word of warning tho. stay away from cobra-r, he will destroy your tires and warp your mind. and if he "tries" to pass you, don't believe it, it's only a mirage:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

johnbasf
06-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Is that the car that was at our Gingerman event last year? Very nice.:thumbsup:

Cobra-R
06-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by kevin
dave,

a word of warning tho. stay away from cobra-r, he will destroy your tires and warp your mind. and if he "tries" to pass you, don't believe it, it's only a mirage:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D whew, at least you didn't say my mind is warped. ;)

kevin
06-08-2003, 12:18 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D whew, at least you didn't say my mind is warped. ;)

didn't want to state the obvious:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

btw, you know i'd give ya my last beer ;)

Black Horse
06-08-2003, 09:29 AM
Oh how well I know about Brian.....after all I too contributed to the tire fund! I'll follow him and do everything different *wink*

Yes its the same car that was at Gingerman last year. Its a Cobra R spec (not the real thing) that was built for the Motorola Cup series. Car has a lot of history, Jason Priestley drove it..yada...yada...

Its a great place for me to move up to without having to build my own or hack the '99. I had planned on starting to build a car for AI and this one came around..right place at the right time at the right price (I would say fate, we'll see ~lol~)....its not exactley what I would have built but it is a great place to build from...and it has all of the safety features I won't do without (full cage, fire supression, fuel cell etc.) I'm sure the car will be faster than the driver for a few years!

I appreciate your advice but I also figure that I might as well start out on the Hoosiers and learn the car and tires both! Besides, I already have the Hoosiers ~lol~ I'll be starting out slow and cranking it up a notch at a time. Since I'll be out there with the rest of you I would rather be a rolling chicane than and cross track obstacle ~lol~

Of course since Brian will be at the track I am re-thinking my approach...perhaps I should invest in some rain tires....does it snow in Michigan in June?

Can't wait till then, see you folks at the track!

kevin
06-08-2003, 11:58 AM
[B]
I'm sure the car will be faster than the driver for a few years!

I'll be starting out slow

Of course since Brian will be at the track I am re-thinking my approach...perhaps I should invest in some rain tires....does it snow in Michigan in June?

]

i see you doo know him:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

wish i cold be there with you guys. sounds like too much fun

Cobra-R
06-09-2003, 01:22 AM

Dave,
Just for the record, I have never driven in rain/snow without Dean being there also, so you are giving me much to much credit. ;)
see ya in two days!:thumbsup:

Kevin,
You know we wish you were going to be there also, at least I would know I would be faster than one person. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brian

NJ2000R
06-09-2003, 01:27 AM
Dave, congrats on the purchase! :thumbsup:

I took a good look at that car last year at gingerman, very impressive....I still have the guy's phone number and wondered if he still had it or where it ended up ;)

see ya @ gingerman! :D

Dean95CobraR
06-09-2003, 09:50 AM
Dave,
Just for the record, I have never driven in rain/snow without Dean being there also, so you are giving me much to much credit. ;)

Kevin,
You know we wish you were going to be there also, at least I would know I would be faster than one person. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brian

Well, it looks like the weather will be perfect on Wed. and Thurs so I guess that means you're not going to make it to Gingerman? :( That's the only explanation that I could come up with.:D

Cobra-R
06-09-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR
Well, it looks like the weather will be perfect on Wed. and Thurs so I guess that means you're not going to make it to Gingerman? :( That's the only explanation that I could come up with.:D

Yep, sorry to say I won't be coming. Maybe I can make sept.

psst. I am trying to fake out the weather gods. ;)

97whitevert
06-09-2003, 10:14 AM
Dave,

Kevin,

Brian

brian-- you know that the 'threesome' all need ot be driving for the weatherman factor to be in effect.....

:rotf: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rotf:

Cobra-R
06-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 97whitevert
brian-- you know that the 'threesome' all need ot be driving for the weatherman factor to be in effect.....

:rotf: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :rotf:

no, Dean is the wild card, he can over-rule the other two when one fails to show up. :D :D :D

Black Horse
06-09-2003, 11:47 AM
That settles it...I'm bringing rain tires!!!!

Dean95CobraR
06-09-2003, 01:56 PM
no, I am the wild card, I can over-rule the other two when one fails to show up. :D :D :D

:yup: ;)

Dean95CobraR
06-09-2003, 01:57 PM
That settles it...I'm bringing rain tires!!!!

Your truck has 4 wheel drive, right?:D

Dean95CobraR
06-09-2003, 02:01 PM
BTW Dave, the title of this thread is a little misleading!:mad: Hell, I was getting ready to take a road trip just to help out the Indiana virgin. :D

Rats, foiled again.:rolleyes:

Black Horse
06-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Q: What is a Indiana (Hoosier) Virgin?

A: An ugly 8 year old cousin. (Once heard in IN: "Son if she's not good enough for family, she's not good enough for you")

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

svt_coupe
06-09-2003, 05:57 PM
I thought I had a pic of the #46 car, but perhaps this will suffice. I always loved those cars... even if Priestly drove them!! ;) (kidding)

NJ2000R
06-09-2003, 06:19 PM
This is what I got from the previous owner last year at gingerman....if I have time to dig them out, I'll bring them along....

Black Horse
06-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Love the pics, especially the one of Scott Maxwell heat treating the front rotors! I wonder if an experienced car can teach the driver? *grin*

Save me a burger, I'll be in early Wed. eve. Should I bring the bubbly to toast Dean's arrival in the middle ages?