PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

oliascobra
06-12-2003, 08:41 AM
Hi all:

I recently purchased a '97 Cobra with 64k miles and it still has the original Motorcraft plugs (which are visibly worn) with different part #s for each of 4 cylinders. I have purchased a set of NGK TR55 copper V-Power plugs and intend to install them this weekend.

I am assuming that Ford was trying to save money by only using platinum on one of the two electrodes, the different spark polarity determining which electrode was platinum for the specific cylinder. Is this true? I will be using the same NGK spark plug for all 8 cylinders.

Any comments or advice?

Also, any advice on specific manufacturer of aftermarket shifter?

Thanks

White98SVT
06-12-2003, 10:12 AM
From what I've read, that seems to be the reason Ford went with different plugs on the two banks of the engine. When I change out mine I run the same plug in all 8 cylinders and I don't have a problem. As a matter of fact, that's what most Cobra owners do.

As far as the shifter there are tons out there and honestly it's up to what you think "feels" better. Some good brands are:

B&M Ripper shifter
Steeda Tri-AX Shifter
Pro 5.0 Shifter
and Hurst and UPR also make one.

I have the B&M and I love the feel. See if you can try some out on a car, they all have distinct feels to them. See what you like best.

oliascobra
06-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reply.

How many hours should it take to swap out my shifter?

Do these all reuse the factory leather boot?

flynfink
06-12-2003, 04:44 PM
I've put shifters in both of my cobra's. First one was 1 1/2 hrs. Second one went in in under 30 minutes.

they all use the factory leather boot.

White98SVT
06-12-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by flynfink
I've put shifters in both of my cobra's. First one was 1 1/2 hrs. Second one went in in under 30 minutes.

they all use the factory leather boot.

Yup it's a piece of cake. Usually for your first, count on about an hour, maybe a tad more if you're taking your time and doing a good job. It's a simple mod for sure, and one you'll enjoy every time you drive. Not to mention saving wear and tear on your tranny.:thumbsup:

oliascobra
06-14-2003, 01:55 AM
Thanks, all. I'm leaning towards the Pro 5.0. Where / how may I take advantage of the club discount?

White Venom
06-14-2003, 04:13 AM
when i purchased mine i was in a toss up between the pro 5.0 and the steeda tri-ax. i went with steeda because the handle is bent like the stock one instead of being staight. has a better feel.