PDA

View Full Version : Considering A Ebay Bid on This 96 Cobra / Check It Out / How High Would You Go?

Destin Sun
06-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Calling all Motor-Heads. Need your expertise here. (hyper-link below).

Any additional modifications that should be or have been considered given its current overhaul? With all that power has anything important been left out, a heavier clutch perhaps? Is it really nesessary?

Did the mechanic's make the wisest choices during the engine process?

Any concern's?

How High would you bid considering the Spec's on this 96 Cobra with approx 10,000 orig miles?

The NADA is: Trade in: 13,900 and the Retail is 15,000

This will be my daily driver and I "do" plan to drive it hard but I dont plan to race it. I would however be hard pressed not to take it down the track once or twice just to see how she will perform.

I've gotten a couple comments so far:

"Kevin B120" says:
"I dont know, it looks pretty damn straight to me. Bone stock with that milage book says its worth about 13,800. But with the mods and condition its in Id prolly go as high as 18 personally. At 19, your right on top of prestine mild-mod 99's, Used 03's are now in the upper-mid 20s now, spending 19+ for that car just starts gettin too close.

"Scream'nCobra" says:
The car looks flawless. With only 500 on the supercharged engine, and 9500 on the car itself, i would definitely go up to $20,000. That car looks to be in mint condition, and the guy says it is. Are you near Huntsville, Alabama? If you are, i would take a look at it. Since there are 4 days left, dont bid till the last couple of minutes and keep bidding when someone outbids you.

Good luck and i hope you get it,
Andrew

Well what do you guys/gals think? I know theirs a lot of mixed emotions about the whole bidding concept. No touchy, feely, smelly, Risky, but I sometimes thing we avoid taking risks in life that we wish we had. Honest feed-back help me weigh out the pro's and con's. Lot of positives falling into place with this one: It's the body style I want, My fist color choice is white, excellent condition and Its got POWER!, Low milage, and turn-key.

The Stang is 300 miles from me.
Currently 24 bids / 3 days till end of auction.

Thanks to all !

LINK BELOW IS FIXED!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2418529970&category=6236

smashedheadcat
06-12-2003, 10:36 PM
That looks like a really really nice car. But, you have to ask yourself what it's worth to you. That is definately a hard to find car. The owner seemed to take very good care of it. Don't worry about that NADA book value of that car. You get one of those kinds of cars to make youself happy, not drive it for awhile and then try to turn a buck on it. If that's what you want, that's what you should have. Bid all you want. After $20,000, keep yourself under control. Don't pay too much for it. If that's what you want, I'd bid til he sold it to me. Try emailing him, and see if you can buy the car right out from under everone without the auction. I doubt you'll find another car like that unless you build it yourself. I can guarentee, it's a lot cheaper to buy one like that, then build it. But, one thing I'd keep in mind. That engine wouldn't have blown a piston if he wasn't dogging it. I'm not saying the car was beat on real hard, but it definately saw a high horsepower pull. So, it probably got lean to lose that stock shortblock. Now, he's got a smaller pulley on it, so it's probably even worse now under boost. It all depends on his tune. With only 500 miles on that new engine, it's not even broken in. I doubt he's tuned it since the rebuild. So look at throwing down another $500 minimum for a chip, dyno time, and paying for the custom tune the car would require.

Black Snake
06-12-2003, 10:51 PM
Your link doesn't work. Buying a modified car, sight un-seen is very risky. Who built the motor? What parts did they use? What all else does it have? Why/how did it let go in the first place.

Personally I like them stock so I can build them the way I want, with the parts I want.

Aaron94
06-14-2003, 03:26 PM
My honest opinion? i want to tell you to not buy the car, but it looks great. the only reason i would say to not buy the car is that i have been personally screwed on buying a supercharged cobra, that certain things were not done on the car that were stated, and resulted in a new motor.

Do this. go look at the car, drive it, look at all receipts, and talk to this "friend" who did all the work. verify on the receipts the info posted on the site. make sure this guy seems like he has a good reason to sell it, and he is not just trying to unload it. no one builds supercharged cobra's to make money on selling the end product, because they are never going to get what they paid out of it. i know its 300 miles away, but its worth the trip, trust me.

i dont know much about mod motors, and maybe someone else can chime in here, but wouldnt we want to be sure those head's are o-ringed when running any kind of boost? also whats the compression ratio on those pistons? you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 8.0:1 on boost.

also, is the transmission stock? if it is, look for it to be grenaded soon if you push it a lot. that stock tranny isnt made to hold the claimed 440+ rwhp.

I am with black snake on the thoughts of building them, or having it built yourself, rather than buying done. then you KNOW everything about the car.

you talk about not taking risks in life that you wish you had, and i dont want to say that i wish i hadent bought my car, but it sure was painful on the wallet in the end. you just never know with a used car. i would imagine you are in a better financial position then i was at 20 yrs old when i took my risk... :(

so those are my honest thoughts, i hope i didnt sound too negative, but you asked... :)

Destin Sun
06-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Still undecided.

Doug,
Ft Walton Bch, FL

tcrews
06-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Aaron94

i dont know much about mod motors, and maybe someone else can chime in here, but wouldnt we want to be sure those head's are o-ringed when running any kind of boost? also whats the compression ratio on those pistons? you want somewhere in the neighborhood of 8.0:1 on boost.

Not on the mod-motors...no o-ringing needed. Also you really want to run stock compression or very close to it (9.85:1 is stock). The mod-motors like compression..... I'm running 9.85:1 and 15+ psi of boost on '93 octane gas.....I also have my car properly dyno-tuned.

also, is the transmission stock? if it is, look for it to be grenaded soon if you push it a lot. that stock tranny isnt made to hold the claimed 440+ rwhp.

Not really as bad as you think. If you don't powershift it the tranny will hold a lot of power. Mine's holding 570 rwhp and 464 rwtq on a daily driven (every day...it's my only car) setup....

so those are my honest thoughts, i hope i didnt sound too negative, but you asked... :)

The more opinions he can get the better....so better to put your 2cents in then holding on to it. I've emailed with him.... and the owner gave him all the information I told him to ask for. I think it's a good buy, but I thin he still needs to see/drive the car and see the receipts for said work.