PDA

View Full Version : Question about brakes...

Caligo
06-18-2003, 09:42 PM
I have a 2001 Cobra convertible and the brakes squeal(have done so since shortly after I bought it new in may of 2001). The svt place tells me that this is normal. It's build up from the brake pads and to get rid of it I should slam on the brakes a few times from about 20mph. This does fix it for a little while, but is this normal? Thanks.

GC

cobrabitn
06-19-2003, 12:23 PM
My first question would be.... how many miles on the car? Have you checked the pads to make sure they are not at rock bottom? If you washed the car and the rotors have surface rust on them then they will squeal some but will diminsh when you run the car a little. Has a brake job benn done on it recently and were the "anti rattle" clips installed?

Check that out and call me in the morning:rotf:

Caligo
06-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the reply. The car has about 10,000 miles on it. They checked the brakes again when we took it in to the dealership a few weeks ago. They said that there was some build up from the pads and they cleaned it off. Within a week they were squealing again. They've told us that the brakes and pads were fine and that this was normal every time we've taken it in. Haven't heard anything about anti-rattle clips.

cobrabitn
06-19-2003, 01:43 PM
The clips are probably still on the car. 10K is not a lot of miles so I would venture to say that some crud mayhave gottenon the rotors. A quick clean upwith some sort of solvent will help. I usually use brake parts cleaner. Clean it up and the squeal should diminish. On occasion, you will still have a squeal every now and then. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Caligo
06-19-2003, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into getting some solvent.