PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Cobra R Warranty?

markboss
06-20-2003, 04:57 PM
I have a friend, who is about to purchase a "new 2000 Cobra R" from a ford dealer, what warranty was offered on these cars, and what paperwork should be with the car, special to the "R" model.....Also, any advice about the car.....This car has never been titled or driven....

Cobra-R
06-20-2003, 06:18 PM
Welcome,
There is no warranty on the 00R's other than the emissions and safety recals.
There are two recalls that have been issued with the 00R's. One was for the parking brake and the other was for the rear knuckles in the rear suspension. Make sure that that dealer has done both of these and check to make sure they get the axle nut tight to Fords spec. There has been a number of us that have found the dealers not gettin it as tight as it should be.

If the car has never been registered with svt, he will get a book (three ring binger) with all kinds of build info, stickers, pictures, ect on the car. This will get mailed directly from SVT, so the dealer will probly be unaware of it.

Things to look for:
1,Look for cracking in the grooves of the tires.

2, Check for small bubles in the paint on the hood.

3, make sure there are both bolts installed, that hold the clutch cable to the firewall.
4, If he buys it, have the valve stems replaced, they are not the right size for the holes.

5, Don't use the front splitter on the track, it will vibrate and could break the front fascia.

I am sure others will add some things I forgot, but this will get ya started.

Good luck, Brian

markboss
06-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the fast response....He talked to SVT and some of the parts are already obsolete...heads, etc. How does this car compare with the 2003 Cobra....Has the drivetrain been reliable, for the money, no warranty???? I know it is basically a showroom stock racer, but I own a Boss 302 and a Shelby, and Buick G.N., and it just seems kinda strange for Ford not to back their product, at least until a competitive event... He is mainly buying it for pleasure, and as a toy....

kevin
06-21-2003, 12:03 AM
many of us in here drive these cars pretty darn hard on road race tracks. they are fairly reliable for that type of use/abuse. therefore, if it's only pleasure driving, there isn't much to worry about.

i would strongly suggest you read giffins detailed collection of the things posted in here. that will give you a treasure trove of info. he's done a great job of compiling everything we've found and he updates it regularly.

Cobra-R
06-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by markboss
How does this car compare with the 2003 Cobra....

I may get in trouble for saying this, but the R is in a whole different league as far as the fun factor goes. If he wants a fun car for daily transportation, the 03 would be better. For a strictly fun car to drive whenver he feels like it, the R would be a great choice.

I think what Kevin was referring to was this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29147

Brian

markboss
06-21-2003, 10:50 AM
He is buying the car as a toy.....Not a daily driver.....Gotta keep up with me....67 Shelby/ 70 Boss 302.....both owned since 1982....Thanks for all the info..........

kevin
06-21-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Cobra-R
I think what Kevin was referring to was this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29147

Brian [/B]

opps. thanks brian.

Cobra-R
06-21-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by kevin
opps. thanks brian.

Any time!!:thumbsup:

markboss
06-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Just got home, from picking up the 2000 Cobra R up from the dealer....THe car had 20 miles on the odometer....Not a scratch on it...Made sure the brake duct hoses were with the car....Had a wheel lock key in the console, but no locks on the wheels? Anybody know the answer to that one....Found the build sheet under the rear bumper, built March 14.....Thanks again for the info....

kevin
06-22-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by markboss
Just got home, from picking up the 2000 Cobra R up from the dealer....THe car had 20 miles on the odometer....Not a scratch on it...Made sure the brake duct hoses were with the car....Had a wheel lock key in the console, but no locks on the wheels? Anybody know the answer to that one....Found the build sheet under the rear bumper, built March 14.....Thanks again for the info....

congrats. now call svt on monday to get your book:thumbsup:

ac427cobra
07-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Congrats on the purchase! :thumbsup:

And as Brian would say "let the modding begin!"

You are going to have soooo much fun with this car!!!! :D :bounce: :)

Racer_726
07-26-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Cobra-R
5, Don't use the front splitter on the track, it will vibrate and could break the front fascia.

What does everybody else do to avoid this?

I make a strong stiff composite fascia and (will make) a splitter that you could stand on when installed. All weighs less than stock Cobra R. Also, reinforce the upper mounting tabs. What are some other solutions?

I've seen a grid of rivets on the front part of the splitter before, I guess there was some sort of reinforcement there.

Urethane is durable, but it's so darn flexible... just the wrong material for these parts to be made of.

Just wondering,

Dave