PDA

View Full Version : Summit Weekend

johnbasf
06-23-2003, 01:31 PM
What a weekend!!

Thanks you first; Hoover, Amy, Jay and anyone else that helped with the cookout.

Henry Jones, thanks for the point by on the front stretch. I was laughing my a@@ off inside my car because you were waving and I couldn't catch you.:rotf:

The Tone Family; you guys were more than gracious!

I qualified ahead of Tone on Sat.:D ooops that slipped

The results will be up soon on the AI site.

I will get a video up of my first off, what a ride!!! I watched the in car this morning and it was all a rookie mistake.

I qualified ahead of Tone Sat. :bounce: :bounce:

johnbasf
06-23-2003, 01:42 PM
after the off, :D

mwilson7
06-23-2003, 03:22 PM
You forgot to mention the textbook perfect pass I made on you on the front straight! Basically I "put the hammer down" and "shut the door!" on John.

Below is just a sample of the cars that were behind John trying to lap him!!:p

johnbasf
06-23-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by mwilson7
You forgot to mention the textbook perfect pass I made on you on the front straight! Basically I "put the hammer down" and "shut the door!" on John.

Below is just a sample of the cars that were behind John trying to lap him!!:p

I think that is a shot of Sat. qualifying, you were behind me.:D

You did set up the pass very well!!! I'll give you that one. :thumbsup:

HistoricMustang
06-23-2003, 04:24 PM
John thanks, the old car (and old man) do pretty good going straight................it is the stopping and sometimes turning that becomes interesting in these things. Anyone that saw me do the loop da loop several times understands that these dang things just do not want to turn. They are tought enough on dry pavement so you throw in a little dampness and D***. I may get a bill from Summit Point for the 50 pounds of mud still on and under and in my ride and me.

What fun! You guys are a blast to race with. Good stuff and Jay, great steaks.

I had the driest place in town ------ under the Chapel.

The 10 hour pull was worth it!! Thanks.

AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

johnbasf
06-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Where did you go off Henry??

HistoricMustang
06-23-2003, 05:43 PM
John, I think it was turn 2. Will have to ask Pantas ..... he said he had a great view. This was my first trip into Summit so the layout ain't yet burned into the brain. Came away with a best of 1:33 so I was happy with that being the first time in............Sunday race was going great until brake fade set in at the end of the front stretch. The access raod was looking mighty good for a second or two.

Great fun...................get Pantas to tell you about him and me down the front stretch.

AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

b_tone
06-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Hey John I heard that you qualified ahead of me on Saturday by nearly 2 seconds?

I will have a Good Attitude about this even though Hoover was not the shining example of sportsmanship, good attitude and professionalism that he wants us (or me and my cronies) to be, but I will keep my happy attitude with me at all further events to make sure eveyone's life is a little better. Remember that a giving someone a hug will make everyone smile and a bit more happy. Hoover needs a lot of hugs.....

John, did you qualify ahead of me on saturday? What happened on sunday.

It was great to see everyone and I look forward to seeing you all again soon. Remember to smile and have a great attitude.

Brian (Happy Bastard) Tone.

Co-Founder of Nice Guy Racing, a division of No Sarcasm Industries.

COBRA #17
06-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Man It only gets better!!!:bs:

GREAT JOB EVERYONE !!!! Other than the SCREW up gridding sat it was a great weekend!!! ( well the toad strangler sat evening too!)

GOOD CLEAN RACING AND LOTS OF FUN!!!!!

AI EAST Asst Director
COBRA #17

SIUNARA
06-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the picture John!! It will wash off! ;) :D

I can tell you this, too many more events like there were on Saturday and my plans to enter the AI arena will slow down very quickly. I hope Saturday was a learning experience and that situations similar to that do not happen again.

mwilson7
06-24-2003, 05:54 AM
I don't think you will see Saturday happen again. It was a good learning experience for everyone!

Henry - You are nothing but a gentleman on the track and we appreciated your point by's. I do mean that!

Sweet car btw!

wildhorsesracin
06-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Henry went off the outside of T2 in all that water that had collected - I wish I had my video camera in the car - but look at the Anderson/Beaverun video and just substitute in Henry's car!!

I was chasing Henry into T-10 thinking I would pull out next to him on the front straight and we could drive down thru side-by-side during practice - kind of a kodak moment - two white w/blue stripe mustangs racing down the straight - but NOOOOO Henry comes off the corner and pulls away!!! YESIREE!!! he definitely had more torque than I did - it took me until 1/3 of the way down the front straight to catch him!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Don't ket Henry fool you, that old car can scoot!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW - I qualified ahead of Mr. Happy Tone as well... :cool:

HistoricMustang
06-24-2003, 04:07 PM
It is just a little 289 and I get lucky sometimes................

You guys are a lot more fun than the Historic bunch, thanks for letting me hang out with you all. Pantas even grows on you!!

See you at VIR!

johnbasf
06-24-2003, 04:30 PM
My rookie off. Missed downshift, heel toe sucked, late braking = weeeeeeeee. http://www.americaniron-east.com/2003Jun21/pics.shtml

Thanks Jim,

justagt
06-24-2003, 04:37 PM
Hey, Henry, most drug stores carry Pantas-sporine to get rid of the rash since he is growing on you!!!!:p

HistoricMustang
06-24-2003, 04:51 PM
I kind of like the guy...........................and I love the historic motorhome! All those things you guys told me about him are simply not true (well most of the things - the ride is a little strange. I tried counting all the holes drilled in the car and lost count). Ya'll should give him another chance!!

Good Racing,
AIX #97

wildhorsesracin
06-24-2003, 05:11 PM
sure doesn't compare to the 'rash' of birdies I saw flying out shuggybutt's window on I-81 at 80+ mph Friday nite... :eek:

johnbasf
06-24-2003, 07:24 PM
Henry, the video is up on that link. Too bad they can't see you waving. :rotf:

COBRA #17
06-24-2003, 10:31 PM
Don,
I understand your feelings and share your concern. I was hoping this topic would kind of not pop up but I figured it would. After the coments Jason made sat night ( along the same lines) Dan and I had a very long discusion with Chris. It was semi constructive and came out the same as it did last year when we had simallar problems. Until we get our own run group we are not garenteed anything! I undertand Chris's side too, it is a racing thing and sometimes can't be helped. But also the time could be more wisely managed!! This is the first bad day we have had all year and thing have been much better since we got rid of the OGAR! We have to give NASA a fair chance they are still growing and a much better orginization to run with than SCCA. I would love to be eble to take Shugg and myself go over there and hand those guys their A**'s. Nasa grooms there racers far above anything SCCA has ever done!
So don't judge NASA by one bad day and also some of the problem sat came from some of our racers not getting to grid on time. Plus the anouncements SUCKED, about half of what he said was cut off.
KEEP BUILDING and come on out and join the fun!!! Or is this an excuse because your SC:doubt: Well I'll leave it at that !!!

AI ERAST Asst Director
COBRA #17

SIUNARA
06-25-2003, 12:42 AM
Hoover,

I hope to never see another situation like Sat. It was very disappointing for me and I'm not even racing yet. I would hate to have spent loads of time working on my car and spending a ton of money to run 5 or 6 green flag laps. I know it wasn't an AI car that caused the yellow, but in my opinion the other cars should not have been out there. When you're told 25 to 30 cars to get your own run group and you get 24 to sign up and pay, YOU should get preference, not the 2 or 3 corvettes that show up, or the 2 or 3 cup cars. Did the money that those cars paid to run make or break the bank, I hardly doubt it as I've heard (could be rumor) that there has been a LOT of money spent on advertising for the Hyperfests. I think Chris needs to take a good look at who is filling his pockets. I know he has a business to run and it can be difficult since everyone wants their own run group, but if I were him, I'd cater to 24 cars instead of 6 or 7. Turn the other big bore guys away and run it as AI only...that will most likely take care of the other 6 or 7 lost, in that more AI guys would be apt to sign up. Don't mean to beat a dead horse here, but I have some strong feelings/opinions about this, and as a potential consumer of the services provided by NASA, I'd like to see a little more support for AI.

As for this topic making it to the board...I'm glad that it has and would have to disagree with you on your hope that it wouldn't. AI is not perfect, it is still in the development stage, and mistakes need to be talked about as much as events that go off without a hitch. I hope you don't take this as a personal attack against you, because it is not.

I will continue to build my car to AI specs and run HPDE's in the hope of joining you guys someday, but I will tell you that I am a little leary after Saturday's events. I hope NASA comes around and shows more support for AI, and I hope Dan and yourself continue to lobby for AI. Your efforts are appreciated! :) I hope AI develops into a strong race series with it's own "consistent" run group in the near future.

As for part of the blame being on the racer's shoulders due to being late to grid...maybe you can pick up Mc'Donalds as a contingency sponser to offer free cheeseburgers to the first 10 guys on grid?!?! :D :thumbsup:

mwilson7
06-25-2003, 05:38 AM
I was pretty disappointed with the whole event to be honest. I drove over 1000 miles for this event and I didn't even use one full tank of gas. At Beaverun I used 2 1/2 tanks. Chris makes all him money from the HPDE guys and that appears to be where his priorities are. To have 15 minute qualifying sessions is not only stupid but it's also dangerous. I was able to get one semi clean lap in during qualifying and that was after making some pretty risky moves to get ahead of people that I normally wouldn't have made. As far as Saturdays race goes I believe that NASA is the one that starts the race and they should have waved us off that lap to get everyone at least someone properly situated but instead threw the green to save time. I came around that corner expecting to stop and grid on the front straight and instead I see a green flag...not cool..... And as far as the "talk" went I really enjoyed the "it's your fault" attitude. I don't believe that ANY of us racers forced them to throw the green flag.

Unless I see some MAJOR changes in the way that the NASA-VA Region is run I am going to ask that we do not count the eastern races as points races for OH/IN. I love running with you guys but when I have to take 2 days off work and drive over 1000 miles to be treated like that I would just assume stay home.

If you think what is being said here is bad you should see the field day that the A-Sedan guys are having with this!!!

SIUNARA
06-25-2003, 09:37 AM
Due to the grid being wrong on Sat., and therefore the results of the race...I think Saturday's race should not count as a points race. I think it should be taken off the books to be fair to everyone that got screwed. I forgot to mention this earlier, but I don't think an active racer should have the say in whether or not races count as points races or not. This is nothing personal against Dan...but it's pretty easy to let a race stand as a points race when you get the win. This should be the decision of someone without a vested interest in my opinion. I know that it would be hard to find a person "without" a vested interest to make decisions like that, but it may be something to look at in the future. I also believe there should be a dyno and scale at EVERY race...Guy Cunningham's car got trailored to a dyno when he won his last race...when was the last time that happened on the east coast? Just another thing that should be followed a little more closely in my opinion. Things like that could potentially turn people away from AI...and that's not what the sport needs. Again, all of this is purely my opinion. :)

svt_coupe
06-25-2003, 11:02 AM
As usual (I feel like I'm saying this after every race) it was great to see familiar faces and race with a great bunch of people. Both Saturday's (until it was truncated) and Sunday's races were some of the closest racing I've been in to date. The level of competition the series has definitely stepped up this year - everyone is driving extremely well, all through the field. It's pretty cool to see John's video where they went 3-wide down the front straight (now that's more like it Pearson!!!). Too bad you couldn't make it stick at the end of the straight!! LOL!! (remember buddy... slow in, fast out!! :D :D ) It's great to see close racing throughout the entire field. And I do mean close racing.

Saturday's race with Hoover, Hunt, Koehler, and myself was INTENSE. Hunt is a maniac. A safe maniac, but still a maniac! Too bad he lost 4th gear. If Hunt hadn't lost 4th and the checkered hadn't come out after only 4 laps(?), there would have been a race-long battle between the four of us. Koehler was mounting an attack, I was trying get around the Pumpkin (still love how that car looks), and Hunt made things interesting by driving on the inside of all of us in turns 10, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6... 8... practically the whole friggin course!! Talking about some evenly matched racing!! Daym... those are the kinds of races that make the endless hours under the car worthwhile. Yes it got cut short... that sucked. But it's obvious AI is attracting some great racers and putting on a great show.

Sunday's race. Koehler's pass to get around Hoover and I... wow. Aggressive but clean. Nice pass. The remaining racing, 6" off of each others bumpers, was just plain sick. Right down to the last lap where Hoover and I finished nose-to-tail (friggin FFR boy wouldn't get out of our way). There is something really really awesome when you have to put your OUTSIDE tires nearly on the INSIDE curbing because there are 3 people trying to get into the same corner at the same time. There just isn't enough room!! None-the-less, there was zero contact between us the whole race. I really wish Koehler's engine didn't start missing. Again... the race would have been epic.

AI racing is getting better and better. The races are close. The racers are driving harder, but still respectful. If the actual racing is indicative of things to come... oh boy, I can't wait.

Pantas - who lit a fire under his butt?!? Dude - you're pulling some pretty awesome lap times. Get the car corner-balanced!!

To everyone that broke this weekend - that sux. I truely wish it wasn't so.

Brian Smith dragging the remaining beverages over on Saturday was classic.

Brian Tone and family - I suppose you get and 'A' for effort, swapping engines the week before the event. Just think - it could have been worse. You could have broken the crank in the race motor Saturday morning... (slap me, I know you don't want to hear that).

A HUGE thanks to Schlick and Hoover for making the AI East series happen. I truely appreciate it. Thanks also to everyone who came to hang out and help this weekend - I can't imagine doing this without you (Jay, Robin, Don, Jeanine, Will... WILL... GET THE ENGINE TOGETHER AND COME WHOOP UP ON US).

Lastly... a NASCAR moment... I want to thank those who make this possible for me. Chuck, Ehren, Jack and everyone else at Maximum Motorsports for making the best Mustang suspension components on the planet (that's for all my Griggs buddies :D :D ). Your help in tuning this car (and obviously all of your products) has paid huge dividends. Andie at Cobalt Brakes for working with me on the new brake setup - the GT-R.spec(VR) pads are just plain sick behind those 4-pot Brembos - easy on rotors and stop a car like a brick wall does (or tree). Thanks to Jack Hidley for the "in" on the Brembos - you rock hugely. Delta Group Motorsports for their incredible knowledge about "all things racing", fabrication work, and working with inputs from MM to get the car setup where it needs to be. Walt, I'll be over shortly! Jerry Ryhne for getting rid of the bumps and bruises on my car.

I'm still very much a rookie to this racing gig and without help from these people, I couldn't make it happen.

Shugg (who is still riding the high from this weekend despite the hopefully-one-time downers)

johnbasf
06-25-2003, 11:36 AM
I really wish I would have felt better. I hope to go back to work tomorrow. The Doc told me I had the "Carolina Crud". Thanks for the plug Bryan. I just plain blew the turn going into 1. :eek:

Mystic_Cobra
06-25-2003, 03:40 PM
I, too, think they should throw out the points for Saturday's race. Mistakes happen, move on, this is the fairest way.

Nice videos, John. My Mystic was just as dirty when I got home and I stayed on track. :D

I've already started my "Action Plan" and trying to figure out how to get that power-to-weight ratio from 12.9 down to something closer to 10 so I can keep up with you guys on track. Yeah, yeah, I know, "GUT IT!" I just have to find another way to get to work if I do that. ;)

HistoricMustang
06-25-2003, 06:02 PM
Guys, we have all got to hang together and make this American Iron thing better and better. At 55 I am having the most fun ever in a race car and maybe with only a few years to go, I want to do it with this group. Trust me, you and the leadership are heads above any amature racing on the planet.

We are going to have more bad "Saturdays", they dont call it growing pains for nothing, but as we spend more and more weekends together we will have more and more fun and it WILL be worth it as the group will be "grandfathered in" and others will be begging to come join the fun as the car numbers will eventually get out of hand.

I talked to two individuals at the track that will have additional early models in the field over the next few events. Those added to Gary and me and the number of early models begin to climb and we eventually get American Iron Historic to form a third group. AI, AIX and AIH can have some tremendous times in the future as we build our own venues and begin developing an Enduro series which is much fun within itself as it will have separate points.

I am doing my damnest to get 6 to 8 early models from Historic Sportscar Racing (HSR) to the Lowes event in addition to Gary and myself. You will ENJOY racing with these guys and they will be VERY competitive so be prepared. And they are also a great bunch of guys.

Lets take the bad with the good right now and trust me it will be all good in a season or two.

Good Racing,
AIX #97
Henry

I still want Pantas to race the Motorhome.......................

johnbasf
06-25-2003, 06:03 PM
Does anybody know what happened to Stephen Jones?? I'm 4th in pts. and wondered where he was.

Jack Hidley
06-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Obviously I wasn't at the event in question, but does anyone who was there know why the race wasn't red flagged after the car forced the whole course to go yellow? I can't think of any good reason to continue a race under a yellow flag. In that case it's not a race, but a parade lap session. If it's a time issue, you just shorten all of the other events of the day by a minute or so to compensate.

mwilson7
06-25-2003, 07:54 PM
Unfortunately you are using logic Jack....silly you...... ;)

Henry - Your right and hopefully they will all happening in the Virginia Region so it's ok with me!

johnbasf
06-25-2003, 08:22 PM
I agree with Henry about growing pains. I am wondering if we shouldn't take the negative discussion to the private mailing list?

wreckm
06-25-2003, 08:33 PM
Okay, it is my turn to give a semi unbias opinion! I also had a great weekend with everyone! You all seem to grow on me. Putting all of the blame on Dan for Sat. is very unfair. From my view on top of the tower I saw him out of the car when everyone else left grid, so what if he won. That just means he drove the tires off that thing to do so! No one seems to realize the time and effort that himself and Hoovy put into this series so that everyone can race in a fair atmoshere. Yes NASA screwed up on Sat. but it was not there fault or any of your faults that it happened. The course workers tried to pull the car from the gravel with a pickup first which would have taken no time, but it would not pull it out. The more that I attend these races the more I learn about everyone involved! Racing is racing but as of recent it seems crying is crying! The dyno idea is great because I heard the conversations leading up to that reply and who it is directed at. I did not hear anyone want to dyno Shugg after Sundays race which from my vantage point was the best clean racing that I have seen in over a year of following this series. MY OPINION!! EVERYONE RACE, ENJOY YOURSELF,QUIT BITC****!!

johnbasf
06-25-2003, 08:48 PM
I really want to lock this one. I don't think anyone is CRYING here Jay. We all respect the efforts of James and Dan, trust me. Play nice or it will be locked. This means everybody!!! :D :D Great steaks by the way.

johnbasf
06-25-2003, 09:18 PM
Hey Banana, can you believe I said that word??? :rotf: 'locked'

wreckm
06-25-2003, 09:56 PM
I am playing very nice John. Everyone racing in AI are great drivers and people. I have gained what I think are great friends from going to the track with Hoovy,BUT read all of the replies and see where they are directed! I am going out on a limb here but I hope I dont get locked!Last year Shugg won the 02 champion which was well earned! He is a H*** of a driver and a person, but I did not see the complaining when he ran the last 4 or 5 races illegal. Thats right, it says in the rules that a car cannot show body damage more than one race? That's right, what race did the quarter panel get tore up in? So in all legallity he did not win, right! Koeller rolled his car at Lowes but it was fixed for the next race. What I am trying to say is that this is a growing series with the right people and the right drivers to become a great series, but the smack from everyone has to stop and realize that all of this is just Racing. Nascar still has these problems after all of these years. A few bad apples can ruin the tree! P.S. Do not forget the pig roast on July 12!!!!!! Hope to see you then!

SIUNARA
06-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Jay,

Are any of the statements in your reply directed at me or anything that I said? Just looking for some clarification. :)

COBRA #17
06-26-2003, 12:02 AM
I don't know what kind of clarification you are looking for but first YOU ( DON) have no right to say anything about what race should be canceled or taken off points wise!!! That is Dan and my decision with input from all the DRIVERS !!!
Secondly I came in on the middle of your and Jason's conversation sat night about the same thing you stated in an earlier post. "If I had an AI car I would reconsider AI." or some thing like that. After hearing that I spent 45 min to an hour chewing on Cabetto's ear about the problem. While you stood and drank beer and shot the ****!!! When you have a problem you need to voice it with the proper people.If you and JAson had gone to Chris and told him what you told me he would have been very understanding and impressed, plus it would have shown the future interest in AI is growing!! I was impressed with Jason's statments and felt Chris should hear the same. Instead of dragging you and Jason in front of Chris I brought it up myself. Dan came in on the middle of the talk with Chris and added some very good points. I told him what started the conversation ( jason's statement) and he agreed with what I was talking with Chris about.
Also the race sun was ended with no white flag and 5 to 10 min early because someone was stuck in the same trap as sat.. You aren't fussing about that??? Why's that ????

FINALY AI doesn't need the bashing and negitivity !!! It will only hurt the growth. What happened sat & sun was a NASA hickup! We had several last year and I *****ED till my face turned blue and I was threatened by CHris and Jim from NASA. I also brought it up in the meeting with Chris sun morning that we weren't getting enough track time. ( WILSON I didn't hear you speak up much in the metting so why fuss now, you should have spoke up!!!) I don't diagree but now is not the time, if you don't come and run with NASA VA it's your loss. NASA Ohio will have some of the same problems I GARANTEE IT when the ar counts start getting up there!!!

THANKS NO HARD FEELINGS !!!! JUST FACTS !!!!

AI EAST Asst Director
COBRA #17

SIUNARA
06-26-2003, 12:37 AM
Hoover,

I can see this getting ugly real fast, so I'll hold on to most of what I'm feeling till we can get the chance to talk face to face. Most of what I wrote has been taken out of context (and personally) by you and Jay, and that is not how it was meant to be. I can't control what you take personally and what you have a problem with, that's up to you. As was stated in my posts, that was all MY opinion, something that I have EVERY right to. I don't appreciate you telling me what I have a right to have an opinion about and what I don't...that's my decision. You may not like some of the things I say or have an opinion about, but I still have a right to say what I feel. Nothing was meant against you, Dan, or Jay personally. I was simply stating my opinion, like it or not.

As for my standing and drinking beer and not talking to Cobetto myself. I was holding back because I didn't want to step on your's and Dan's toes...that is your job, not mine. I didn't want to interfere in a race matter not being a racer yet. That was out of respect for you and Dan...not because I'm scared to tell Chris how I feel.

As for not fussing about the situation Sunday...I wasn't there...I can't rightfully ***** about something I never saw happen.

My posts were not bashing anyone nor were they full of negativity...they were full of my concerns as a future AI racer. Valid points in MANY people's opinions!

I did not write those things to start world war III between anyone or to bring out negative things about NASA or AI...they were written because I have true concerns going forward...plain and simple.

No hard feelings here...:)

Black Horse
06-26-2003, 07:01 AM
I have sat here and watched this conversation (?) develop. As a soon to be AI competitor I see a few things noteworthy of pointing out, with hope that it helps to see what others see from the outside.

1) Mistakes are made, people are unhappy...if we learn from it and it keeps the same stuff from happening again, it was worth it.
2) Opinions are just that!
3) If you didn't like the cards dealt to you, go gripe about it to those in charge AT THE TIME. If more than an hour expires from the alledged problem, its already too late.
4) This AI group is one of the best group of talented drivers I have ever been around...while there is a definate spirit of competition, there also remains the foundation of deep friendship and comeraderie. You want that to change?
5) Lets not have this series develop into the SCCA rules laden, administration bogged anchor. I dont care if the guy (or gal) that beats me has 2 more threads on his lug nuts or a half a horsepower more. We (NASA) have rules, lets stand by them but dont cause them to develop into political handcuffs.
6) I race for THE FUN OF IT. When it quits being fun, I'll pack up my toys and go elsewhere. After all the purse to win any race sure will support my time and effort.
7) I know a lot of races will be shortened due to time schedules, etc. While it has not really been said (but soon will be I'm sure) lets not kill off the HPDE just so a few can race a couple of laps longer. I highly commend the NASA program in their foresight to develop soon-to-be competitors through the HPDE program. Look at the SCCA for their take on that program....nothing!

OK...that's my 2 cents. I look forward to the day I can go fender to fender with each of you...then drink a (insert beverage of your choice) afterwards. I just hope we can work hard to get this series where it has every right to be, but one minute of bad press will take months to erase.

Thanks for the bandwidth to rant!

mwilson7
06-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by COBRA #17
. ( WILSON I didn't hear you speak up much in the metting so why fuss now, you should have spoke up!!!) I don't diagree but now is not the time, if you don't come and run with NASA VA it's your loss. NASA Ohio will have some of the same problems I GARANTEE IT when the ar counts start getting up there!!!

AI EAST Asst Director
COBRA #17

To give you THE FACTS I did voice my opinion during the meeting on Saturday. Perhaps you didn't hear them but I know others did because they agreed. I'm not sure what meeting you spoke up in Sunday morning but it didn't seem to do much good (no for a lack of trying though).

I understand completely that mistakes happen but I think the NASA director of OH/IN cares about the racers a little more than Mr Cabetto does. Perhaps not a FACT but the actions I have seen show that this is true.

When we ran at Beaverun we had the LARGEST AI field ever! THAT IS A FACT. It is also a FACT that we had long practice sessions, qualifying sessions, and our own race group. Another FACT to point out is that the OH/IN chapter isn't even a year old and that event was run without a hitch.

My beef is the lack of track time. I run track events myself and when I saw how the schedule was set I knew it was going to fail. Not having any buffer time is just asking to shorten sessions as you have no where else to make up the time. THAT IS A FACT AS WELL.

The last FACT. I used 2 1/2 tanks of gas at Beaverun while I didn't refill my tank once during the entire weekend at Summit Point. If any of you guys from the AI-East would like to drive all the way up to Gingerman (10-14 hours) and use only one tank of gas and drive home happy when that tank is done you can be my guest.

Here's my question...... why shouldn't this be discussed on an open forum? The FACT is that there were "hiccups" last weekend and to ignore them or try to brush them under the carpet would in FACT be foolish and imature. What are we afraid of? Everyone seems to be in agreement that mistakes happen.

What would be much more constructive would be to discuss what happened, figure out what we have control over, and make sure that we do everything in our power to make sure it doesn't happen again.

It seems to me that you are taking this whole thing way to personally James and I would highly recommend taking a step back and look at this from an objective standpoint.

Would I recommend than anyone on the fence about AI join in? DEFINITELY! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The last FACT I have to mention:

Did I mention that I beat Brian Tone and John Pearson on Sunday? I don't believe so...... :D

edited day of meeting in first paragraph

justagt
06-26-2003, 09:36 AM
On a lighter note........

I will rebuild, I will show up, and I will kick ass.

Now, group-hug, people!!:D

b_tone
06-26-2003, 09:48 AM
This is what Chris Ihara posted on the A/S listserve. I cannot really disagree with him but if this is the kind of impression that we send away with people we will not grow.

Also Hoover I am really growing tired of hearing you talk about a positive image for our group. After your email to me last month and the refusal to divulge information concerning said email I was absoulutely flabbergasted to see you get out of your truck on Friday night and start a shouting match with other racers. That kind of activity is extremely negative and completely hipocrytical of your words expressed to me. You need to lead by example, and your example on Friday night was a poor one. Just my impression but I am trying to hold on to my good attitude and it was tough to do that watching your behavior. Now onto the main event: Ihara's message to all of the A/S racers in the country:

> Well I went to go play with the NASA boys this weekend at Summit Point.
> The AI and AIX group is one of the best bunches of guys out there! I
> really enjoyed hanging out and racing with them. They're a bunch of
> very clean, professional racers, I only wish I had been able to procure
> a pit section in AI alley. The good parts of the weekend sort of ended
> there.
>
> I venture to say that NASA bordered on incompetent with how they handled
> the race on Saturday. Results from qualifying were not available to
> competitors prior to being gridded so I arrived on grid without knowing
> where I qualified. Then half the big-bore field was given poor
> instructions and were told to wait before entering the grid. I arrived
> early enough to get my qualifying spot only to find that they were
> sending the pacecar out with no 5, 3 or 1-minute warnings. Dan
> Schlickenmyer was outside his car when they began sending cars out on
> track! He lost his #1 AIX qualifying spot and was held up until the end
> of the line of cars was gone, however, instead of being at the end of
> the pack he was in the middle, because the rest of the field was still
> being held up at the end of the grid!
>
> Then there was no splitter as we left the grid so noone except the pole
> setter knew which side to line up on. The pacecar had far outpaced the
> field and was at turn 1 by the time the first cars came out on track.
> Single file we all took off after the pace car and when we finally
> caught up the remaining cars were still on grid! As we made our way
> around to turn 10 a bunch of cars were still straggling behind so the
> original pack of cars was now divided into two groups.
>
> The first ten cars rounded turn-ten in single file and they threw the
> green flag, yet all the corner stations continued to display
> double-yellow. So those people who had not yet passed turn-ten were
> still under double yellow. Brian Tone reported that he could hear
> "Green Flag! Green Flag" over his in-car scanner but was still under
> double yellow. The first batch of cars took off down the field the
> second batch of cars then chased after them and finally all the other
> cars that were on grid were released in no particular qualifying or
> arrival order since the people on grid had been mixing the cars up as
> they arrived.
>
> Then two cars went off and the race was run under local yellows for a
> lap or two before finally going full-course yellow. In all about 6 laps
> were made under green. The session was cut short from 25 minutes to 22
> minutes and in all I made 9 laps total. We went from 25th qualifying
> spot to finishing 15th overall and 5th in class. The event was a fiasco
> and left many people VERY angry and upset. NASA's attitude was
> basically "you should have been to grid earlier." The driver's fessed
> up to needing to be earlier to grid and NASA admittied that things got
> messed up, but offered no suggestions for assuring that it wouldn't
> happen again.
>
> Then NASA has a system where they hold up the cars coming off track
> while they send cars on the grid out on track. So you're sitting there
> with your foot on the brake of a hot car while you wait for other cars
> to go out. To top it all off, as we're sitting there, idling waiting
> for cars to go out on track the threaded rod holding the air cleaner on
> decided to break. It probably did this on one of the long pace laps
> under yellow and finally the nut rattled loose and allowed the
> all-thread to go into the engine. The #5 cylinder decided to have the
> all-thread as a snack and as I'm waiting to go back to the pits it
> finally ingested it and cracked the block. They head looks OK and I
> hope that the rod is too. We're getting ready to put a new motor
> together this week and it is my hope that we can just get a new block
> machined and ready to go. We're going to reuse the other 7 pistons and
> rods, crank, etc. and get a new piston to replace the one that was
> chewed up.
>
> Hopefully we'll be ready for the July 19-20 NASA race, but I swear if it
> is run as poorly as this event was run I will never race with them
> again. AI's growth is tremendous and I think that they have a fantastic
> market, but NASA may be their downfall. The organization's lack of
> competence will affect them adversely. This is not the first time I
> have run with them and this is not the first time I left
> under-impressed, but it is the first time that I have witnessed such a
> poor lack of organization, competence, and professionalism.
>
> I'd love to see these guys come and race with us in SPO. It would be a
> tight race.

And here is Jim Wheeler's response (jim by the way is a national guy and a very respected racer):

Chris and List,

There a lot of things I ***** about with respect to ASedan and SCCA racing,
but the workers and the way they put on the races has not been one of them.
I can't remember any race (I've been doing this since '75 in various
classes) where I've seen anything, even slightly, resembling your
experience. SCCA, certainly in my division, puts on a very professional
program. Another off shoot of that professionalism is that I feel safe in
the hands of the corner workers and emergency crews. I don't know how
comfortable I would be racing with that kind of program. If it's that
screwed up, just getting the races started, how bad would it be if there was
a life threatening crash. Again, to quote Dennis Miller, "That's just my
opinion, I could be wrong.
wheel

Any thoughts?

SIUNARA
06-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Now that's more like it Will!! :D :thumbsup:

SIUNARA
06-26-2003, 09:59 AM
Pocono on July 19th & 20th has been cancelled...at least...that's what Dan said on Saturday. You may want to let Chris know if that is the race he is planning to attend.

b_tone
06-26-2003, 10:28 AM
If Pocono is cancelled why not tow up to gingerman for those dates?

SIUNARA
06-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Dan mentioned that he cancelled Pocono due to the string of races right after those dates (July 19th & 20th). There are a couple races scheduled for every other weekend. His reasoning was to cut down on the every other weekend traveling thing and so people could have more time to prepare for so many races in such a short period of time. I doubt too many people would be willing to tow to Gingerman...but you never know. :)

johnbasf
06-26-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by b_tone
If Pocono is cancelled why not tow up to gingerman for those dates?

If you still have the slow motor I better not drive up. Last Saturday was enough for me.

HistoricMustang
06-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Hey Jay, races come and races go and S*** happens, but the best part of the Summit weekend for me was your steaks. No kidding, after awhile the events all run together but two things I will remember about Summit Point, June 2003 is the rain and your steaks. All the other stuff will fade into memory.

AlWAYS include me on your list for steaks. And Hoov, Amy sure makes better company than most of you guys (except maybe Pantas - I think he is cool).

Lets get on with it guys and start talking about VIR. I will put up the thread.

AIX #97
Henry
www.historicmustang.com

wreckm
06-26-2003, 07:09 PM
Hey Don, Nothing has been taken personal from my standpoint, but it seems everyone is pointing fingers at the wrong people! If everyones memory serves right last year there were several problems also. I remember at Lowes all drivers went to practice and sat on grid for 20 minutes and came back in because of loss of time in 95 degree heat. I remember at VIR during a qualifing run, that someone wrecked and they ended the session and like several other cars we started in the back and had to race to the front only to spin after taking the lead on the last lap! Maybe James did not make the right decision when he got out of the truck on friday but I heard no one else standing up to the man who took everones paddock space. Chis along with several other racers were left to fend for themselves. Dan got out the same way as James but was a little more composed. If they had not lobbied to NASA for all of the Factory Five to move the only AI in the corner paddock would have been Tone and his 3 saved spots. It all boils down to this, there are going to be problems with all series especially when it grows this fast! Is that not what everyone wants? Most drivers have large egoes and do not want to lose but the fact is everone has to sometime! The big looser in the Sat. race was the one that drove from Minnesota and got kept on grid for the first lap. He was not happy but told us when he left that he would see us at Lowes! We are all friends here trying to get to the same point but all of the finger pointing needs to stop!!!! Henry, thanks for the kind words. Your car looked and sounded awsome going around the track. I will listen for the coffee pot at VIR!

COBRA #17
06-26-2003, 08:27 PM
Well Mr Tone your right, I could have handled it beter. I was a little OFF on the actions BUT I HATE TO BE LIED TOO! I would rather be SPIT ON !!! I knew he hadn't talked to Chris and he was full of POOP! I have had several run ins with him and I JUST DON'T LIKE HIM !!! Plus he is a lier !!! PLUS you did a fine job over the weekend!!! I will work on it!!:D Jay is right If I had not spoke up we would have had no paddok room and we would have been spread out everywhere. Chris told him "NO MORE FFR cars here, put them in the PARRC area !" He wanted to make them move all the guys but didn't. Again I could hev handled it better but we worked hard planning the cookout and I was up tight. THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THE GRILL!!!

Mr. Wilson, I see your veiw and I rememberd someone speeking up but didn't remember who it was. Anyway the BR event can't hardly be compared to the SP event simply because of the car count. We had more race cars than they had HPDE cars. I would love to see OI NASA have to handle that many cars!!! Maybe they would do OK but I would still like to see it. Larence did a grat job at BR and yes you guys will get better treatment than us simply because Mr. Cabetto is an IMPORT guy and he will not cater to us for that reason. Trust me I have a REAL HARD time dealing with it !!!

ANYWAY I'm with Henry VIR is going to rock!!! If you OI guys miss it you will be sorry!!! Enough with the BS lets put it behind like Tone at SP !!!

:rotf: :rotf: :thumbsup: :rotf: :rotf:

AI EAST Asst Director ( on Prozac )
COBRA #17

justagt
06-27-2003, 08:37 AM
See, a group-hug works everytime.

wildhorsesracin
06-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Dudes - chill out!

Thanks shuggybutt for the kudos, cosmo motivated me to start driving faster - the problem is you and hoovy keep getting in the way! :rotf:

<soapbox>
Saturday was a snafu, we'll get over it - the way I see it:

1) if AI gets enough cars we call the shots
2) see rule #1

Soooo... Don, Jay, Will, et al. get out there so we can start having more fun/track time/etc..

VIR is going to be awesome - register TODAY so we can show that AI is STRONG and a force to be reckoned with...
</soapbox>

PS. I am dying to drive Henry's car, he looks like he is having SOO MUCH FUN - I'd love to try it - but I would be afraid I'd wreck it!

PSS. What Are we going to cook at VIR? :cool: :cool:

Mystic_Cobra
06-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Jim,
Don't forget Jimmy. I'm working on gettin out there, too! :bounce:

AI/X #08
06-30-2003, 07:20 PM
As for part of the blame being on the racer's shoulders due to being late to grid...maybe you can pick up Mc'Donalds as a contingency sponser to offer free cheeseburgers to the first 10 guys on grid?!?!

Don, I can arrange that!:thumbsup: Did I mention I own a franchise of McDonald's restaurants?

Anyway, I just got back from Vegas and I'm sorry to hear that the weekend was in the crappers for some. I was sorry to miss it, but happy to stay and run my AGS car for a race win this weekend. We'll have the car ready for Gingerman. I hope that some of the East guys come up, but it doesn't sound encouraging.

Keep your heads up guys. People look up to the AI guys as a good group of people to run with and let's keep it that way. Keep up the conversation about what we do and don't like, but also direct it to the right authorities. From what Eric explained to me it all goes to him for the guys in our region. It is his responsibility to carry that information on to said authorities. I learned this after someone complained about me not knowing that I had engine woes at BR. I wasn't pleased to hear it from him and not a driver, but understand the reasoning. Do we have a forum or a private message system that we can put in place for these kind of conversations without the world knowing? I realize there is a yahoo group, but I haven't checked it yet. Might want to consider that. I don't think that people shouldn't hear what we have to say, actually, the public reading our thoughts have helped to make AI as popular as it is, but there may be things in future that need to be kept a little more politically correct ( I hate those words). I hope to see as many of you as possible at Gingerman.
Mark Luna

HistoricMustang
06-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Hey, dig into the early history of NASCAR or any other organization and see what they went through. Heck, even the "King" Richard Petty tried to boycott and bring a union into NASCAR. Nothing but growing pains for them and for us............If this group stays together some "sanctioning body" will beg to have us around (and may even pay us big bucks to race with them). Lets keep the not so good conversation between just us. I would love to see some money flow our way before I hang it up in a few years. You guys are great! (even Pantas)

AIX #97
HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com

SIUNARA
06-30-2003, 10:13 PM
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: That is too funny Mark...we should get something going on the McD's contingency...that will get people to grid early!! ;)

Henry,

I hope AI does end up like NASCAR in a few ways...with multiple tech inspections before and after the race as well as separate people (sanctioning body) making decisions about races and points and deciding on fines if necessary. Imagine if it got sooo big that there was AI fashion gear like there is in NASCAR...I'd be the first to buy a Mystic sweatshirt with the name Pearson all over it!!!! :D ;) :thumbsup: