PDA

View Full Version : Exaust Set Up

cobrar96
06-29-2003, 02:58 PM
I have a 96 cobra vert. What is the best exuast setup for performance and sounds. Later on i might consider some long tube headers also. I live in california so emmissions is an issue, with runnin cats how much hp will i lose. Thnx for any imput people can give.

steve
06-29-2003, 04:33 PM
I recommend a magnaflow or borla cat back exhaust system with an x-pipe. The magnaflow system is cheaper and is a little more free flowing, but the borla system sounds nice if you don't mind paying more. I have a magnaflow cat back and magnaflow x-pipe on my 99 cobra and it sounds great and runs strong. My sister has a 97 cobra vert with a borla exhaust and it sounds awesome. I think on my next cobra I will probably go with the borla because I like the sound better, but again you pick up a few more hp with the more free flowing magnaflow kit. You can either keep your own cats and massage the magnaflow x-pipe in where your old h-pipe is or buy the whole system with the x-pipe. I took out my h-pipe and welded in my x-pipe so I wouldn't have to buy new cats, screw with my O2 sensors or possibly void my warranty. GO with the former you'll, save money and have just as much power. DON'T AND I REPEAT DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON HEADERS, THE GAINS ARE MINIMAL AND THEY CAN SCREW UP YOUR O2 SENSORS. Unless you're going to build your own monster motor stick with the stock manifolds they are fine. ANY questions, call the best mustang man in CA, STEVE@POWERTRAIN DYNAMICS IN HUNTINGTON BEACH,CA. His # is 714 373-0068 and you might have to call a bunch of times before you get a hold of him, he is really busy. Good luck and let me know how things work out. sincerly steve b.

smashedheadcat
06-29-2003, 08:22 PM
The stock logs (headers) are not very good. JBA shortys or Long tubes (not MAC) will show very good gains. I have bbk long tubes, bbk off road h-pipe and borla side exhaust. It's definately a distinctive sound. I like it a lot. I will be swapping out my h pipe for a dr. gas x-pipe soon though.

colt .45
06-30-2003, 12:26 PM
It is all a matter of opnion on sound.
my setup sounds the best/meanest to me.
I have BBK Longtubes, BBK offroad h with dumped 2 chamber Flowmasters.

cobrar96
06-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Thanx for all the replies. I have been thinking about a couple brands of x pipes and exaust. It would have to be between Bassani, Borla, or a Dr. Gas X pipe. I know any setup will show great hp gains. But im also looking for ease of installation and quality of pipes.

smashedheadcat
07-01-2003, 02:29 AM
As far as quality goes, you can't go wrong with any that you mentioned. The Dr. Gas would probably be the least attractive looking, but there is a lot of R&D involved in their pipe. Magnaflow, Bassani, and Borla are all excellent choices.

big dave
07-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Will changeing the exhaust from the way SVT wanted it move the torque and hp power band?

That is something I am afraid of when modifying a car. I dont want to sacrafice some down low torque and HP for up high HP. I would like a gain all around. I also want something that doesn't drone when cruseing at 1000-2500.

I have been to mustangexhaust.com and that place isn't much help. Does anyone have a mangnaflow x pipe with cats and mangnaflow cat back, the mufflers not the glass packs, with stock headers? I was thinking this setup would be pretty cheap. How do the tips look from the side on a 96-98? anyone have this.. Pictures would be awesome :D

Thanx
dave