PDA

View Full Version : IMRC questions

darbowmach1
07-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Hey all, what and where is the IMRC? Should i replace mine (98 Cobra w/70k miles). Since i just bought the car i am replacing the wires/plugs/filters/fluids- is there anything else i should replace? thanks!

Venom55
07-09-2003, 05:24 PM
almost the same question i was going to ask...except i know what they are, just not what "IMRC" stand for.

It is the butterfly system that opens up the secondary intake ports in you intake. Cobras have 16 ports, 8 of which are open all the time, the other 8 open up at like 3250 rpm or something like that. i don't think you need to have them replaced, maybe cleaned.

so, what does IMRC stand for?

mike

bolt-on
07-09-2003, 08:52 PM
so, what does IMRC stand for?

mike [/B][/QUOTE]

Intake Manifold Runner Control. It is supposed to increase airflow velocity at low engine rpm's by closing off the secondary runners for better throttle response . Between 3250 and 7000 rpm's it opens the secondary runners to maximize airflow volume.

smashedheadcat
07-10-2003, 07:31 PM
If they aren't functioning, then you'll be able to tell. First off, your car will just have no power up top. It will feel just as strong out of the hole, but then it'll just feel like you are pulling a trailer or something. To see if they are working, just pop your hood, and start your car. There will be 2 black cables behind the intake. Gently grab ahold of one of the cables, then with your other hand, give it some gas. Don't be shy with it, it needs to come above 3250 rpms. You should feel a jerk in the cable. If you do, then move to the next one. If you feel the jerk, then the acuator isn't bad. Shut the car off, then grab the cables one at a time, and tug on them with some force. You can hear them opening and closing. The cable should give a bit, and you'll hear an internal click. Odds are, if your car feels strong, then your IMRC's are in good shape.