PDA

View Full Version : Service Engine Soon

JBejarano
07-11-2003, 08:26 PM
I was wondering what all happens when the Service Engine Soon light comes on? I mean, does it affect timing, air/fuel delivery, etc.? What all does it affect? Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

tcrews
07-11-2003, 08:55 PM
It all depends on what caused the light to come on. Some events just trigger the light to come on (like the rear O2 sensors) while other will pull timing, put the car in limp mode, make it run worse, etc.. (like the front O2 sensors).

Have the code scanned to see what triggered the light coming on and then we can see if it's something that will or will not affect your cars performance.

I think Autozone will scan your codes for you for free....or if you know anyone with the Autotap software/hardware they could do it for you.

JBejarano
07-11-2003, 08:58 PM
:D I've got an Autotap, says Bank 2 Sensor 2, weird thing is that it lists it twice? :doubt: I have a catted X-pipe and Mils, so I'm thinking it could be either the 02 sensor or bad MIL. Or do you think that its possible that the Air/Fuel Ratio gauge is affecting the signal?

tcrews
07-11-2003, 09:26 PM
Could be a faulty MIL-elim. Is Bank 2 sensor 2 the rear O2? If not and it's one of your front O2s then it could be the way the A/F meter was wired in. You know those meters are junk right? They give you absolutely zero usable information.

You can always clear out the codes, disconnect your A/F wiring and see if your MIL is triggered again.

JBejarano
07-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Yeah, but they sure do look purty :rotf: I will have to unhook the Air/Fuel gauge and see if that helps. Not sure which 02 sensor Bank2 Sensor 2 is :doubt: But will give that a shot, hopefully thats all it is......and if it is, guess I'll have to find a gauge to fill in the hole :D :eek: