PDA

View Full Version : Potential Engine Fatality?? Nope!

smashedheadcat
07-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Friday evening (approx 5:15pm) I was driving a few minutes from my house on the highway. I noticed somewhat of a wierd tone all the sudden coming from the engine. Any load put on the car via the throttle made and awful sound. Best way to describe it was a hand full of quarters rolling around in the valve covers. If you let off of the throttle, it went away. If you press the clutch, and then give it a short rev (3500) or so, the noise wasn't there. Thinking rolled into my driveway. When I came to a stop, I noticed almost a greyish smoke come out of the passenger side exhaust pipe. I shut the car off, and checked the oil. All was good. I went to start the car back up again and it was very hard turning over, and when it finally fired up, it sounded like it was metal on metal. I shut it off right away and called up True Blue performance. They had just closed for the weekend. So, next in line was my engine Builder... Randy Haywood. No answer. Hmm. I started wrenching on the hunk of shat and found a small amount of oil on the #3 plug. Right above the threads. Now, i'm totally devastated. So I jumped on this forum and sent "SUPER MODERATOR" ;) a PM. He quickly replied (tcrews) and I told him what was up and asked him to call me. He did, and told me it sounded like the alternator went bad :rolleyes: . :D I thought that I had some kind of major engine failure. I bought some new plugs, a compression tester, and a new alternator. The compression was perfect. So I swapped the alternator, and tom was right. It's running like a champ, but it really scared me. :cool:

tcrews
07-15-2003, 05:57 PM
hehehe....glad I could help....and extremely glad that you had a simple problem and not a major one like you had originally thought :)

smashedheadcat
07-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Me too!! :D

Ken 01-Cobra
07-15-2003, 08:09 PM
Sheesh, do NOT scare me like that Josh! :eek: :D

Glad it was something easy and simple!

Black Snake
07-15-2003, 10:54 PM
Dang. It's about time you have some good luck. :banana:

Cobra-R
07-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Thats great to hear that it was something simple (and cheap), Josh!!!!

Hows the car running otherwise?

White98SVT
07-16-2003, 01:21 AM
Glad to hear it Josh.......I'm happy for ya man:thumbsup:

Big Daddy
07-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Josh,

Glad to hear the problem was "simple" and "cheap". I'm still waiting to see DYNO numbers on your beast!! :D Mine is back at True Blue and it will be interesting to see what my new numbers come out to. :D ;) I'm looking to beat Isaac Prices numbers of 589 RWHP! :D ;) ;)

smashedheadcat
07-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Ken 01-Cobra
Sheesh, do NOT scare me like that Josh! :eek: :D

Glad it was something easy and simple!

I was scared too. I had a plan of tearing the engine out, and completely apart, and selling every last part of it on ebay with no reserve. Then, build a big block, strip the interior and have myself a drag car. :)

Ken 01-Cobra
07-16-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
I was scared too. I had a plan of tearing the engine out, and completely apart, and selling every last part of it on ebay with no reserve. Then, build a big block, strip the interior and have myself a drag car. :)
Hmmm...not a bad plan B bud! ;)

smashedheadcat
07-16-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Big Daddy
Josh,

Glad to hear the problem was "simple" and "cheap". I'm still waiting to see DYNO numbers on your beast!! :D Mine is back at True Blue and it will be interesting to see what my new numbers come out to. :D ;) I'm looking to beat Isaac Prices numbers of 589 RWHP! :D ;) ;)

My dyno numbers aren't in your ball park Greg. I dyno'd 422.6 rwhp and 371.1 rwtq with 7lbs of un intercooled boost. I've made up my mind to pay my engine off ($1577) before I do any more car stuff. I've got a power pipe, pulley, and the desire to make some real power, but no the $$. I want to dyno this stuff one at a time, and get some before and afters. I won't ever see 600 rwhp unless I got to plan B. :D

smashedheadcat
07-16-2003, 10:55 PM
GRRRR!!!!!!!:D:D:D