PDA

View Full Version : imrc removal

1998 cobra
07-16-2003, 08:41 PM
who makes the stuff to remove the imrc's? and how much?

tcrews
07-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Ford did at one time but no one makes them now. You can do it yourself, it's just a matter of epoxying the holes after removing the rod that holds the butterflys in and sanding down the 'overflow' of epoxy around the port openings after you've filled the holes where the rod was.

You'll need to rig something to allow the actuator to pull on the cables (a spring of some-sort) or you'll get a code. You'll definitely need to get a dyno-tune to recover the low-end torque you're going to lose.....and you aren't going to really gain that much power.

smashedheadcat
07-17-2003, 12:28 AM
In other words Tom.... It's not worth it???

tcrews
07-17-2003, 07:10 AM
Right....especially in a street car. It'll make a little more hp way up top but not enough to really justify the torque loss down low.

smashedheadcat
07-17-2003, 04:23 PM
What about offsetting the loss of torque with a set of 4.30's?? :D

colt .45
07-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
What about offsetting the loss of torque with a set of 4.30's?? :D 4.30 in a Cobra :firedevil:
That is what I have and love it.

tcrews
07-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
What about offsetting the loss of torque with a set of 4.30's?? :D
Well...what about increasing the torque with 4.30s instead of trying to make up for losing some??? :)

smashedheadcat
07-18-2003, 02:26 PM
But what about those few extra ponies up top. ;) I'm just kidding. I can't justify the work of removing them for such a small gain. Plus, like you say, if you lose a lot of torque down low, then the con's out weigh the pro's.

boostedstang
07-23-2003, 11:56 PM
I am a new to modular motor and stuff what is imrc?

97CasperCobra
07-26-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by boostedstang

Go here:
http://www.svtcobraclub.com/svtbbs2/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4399

tcrews
07-28-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by boostedstang

In a nutshell it's the Intake Manifold Runner Control and the '96, '97 and '98 Cobras had these. It was designed to give more lowend torque by increasing air-velocity through the engine at low rpm (torque) and then adjusting (opening) to increase air-volume through the engine at high rpm (horsepower).

laserred
08-07-2003, 08:50 AM
:( My imrc went out on my 98 cobra and I didn't know it. Every time I kicked down on it the engine would bog down bad at about 4500 to 5000 rpm's. it cost me 650$ to have it fixed at a dealership, and it cost me a 9.002 with a reaction time of .511 and 81.42 mph at farmington n.c. 8th mile drag strip. I could have done better if it was there and working. Besides, I like the feeling of the imrc kicking at 3600 rms.

Jefflounsbury
08-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Pauls high performance sells an IMRC delete kit for 225. their website claims that it extends the horsepower curve above 4000 RPM's with no low-end power loss.

Jeff Lounsbury

tcrews
08-07-2003, 05:11 PM
That's only if you get a chip tuned by them at the same time, otherwise expect a power loss.

The gains I've seen are extremely small, maybe getting a ported intake at the same time, some more aggressive cams......then the deletes may be worth it. For $225 + $xxx (chip tuned for the deletes) the gains (if any) are just not worth the money spent.

poolman
08-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by tcrews
That's only if you get a chip tuned by them at the same time, otherwise expect a power loss.

The gains I've seen are extremely small, maybe getting a ported intake at the same time, some more aggressive cams......then the deletes may be worth it. For $225 + $xxx (chip tuned for the deletes) the gains (if any) are just not worth the money spent.

Hi guys...

I did all this to my 98 when the imrc unit failed and I had to remove the manifold to change the control unit. I got the ported intake, imrc delete kit, and chip from Pauls and put on a FRPP single blade throttle body. Easy to do, gained some 20 rwhp acording to local dyno, was about $1500 or so all together from Paul's (I try not to remember all I have spent :D ) I took the car to MI when we did open track at Gingerman, and Paul tuned it to 290 rwhp (a 40hp gain). I did all this in prep for a Vortec, but bought an 03 and the Vortec has moved off the radar.
My opinion is that if you are going to supercharge, money is worth it, if not, then it is not a lot of bang for the buck.

My opinion, wish I was a member of SCMC way back then... !