Scott Whitehead
Dean Smeltzer
Barry Kline
Mark Wilson
Elliot Fisher
Stan Berry
Brian Tone
Eric Meehan

More details to come as the boys return tonight from the track.

Good luck today and be safe.:thumbsup:

AI/X #08
07-20-2003, 09:48 PM
Great Job guys!!!

In particular, I'd like to congratulate Jeremy Behrendt on a great job on Saturday and Sunday winning the race both days along with pole. Jeremy has been struggling a little, and has definitely earned this win. I of course am jealous that he made it and I didn't, but at least of the the two Cerra Racing sponsored cars had to be there to win.:D

Sorry I wasn't there. The guys at the shop did an outstanding job finishing the engine as soon as the parts all got in, but we fought a bunch of problems with the mass air meter which Mike Cerra worked for many hours on the dyno to mess with the software to make it work, to find out that we were then running out of fuel because of the fuel pumps lack of ability to keep up. Frankly we are putting out too much horsepower for a single in tank pump and it isn't pushing the fuel it is suppossed to be. It is the largest intank pump that is made without going to a dual pump which won't fit into the cell. We have figured out what to do today, but that doesn't get us the weekend back. I promise I will actualy be at a race racing at the next event. ( unless my other series conflicts, I can't remember) The good news is the engine is lasting after many many dyno pulls, and making very good power. I mean very good.

Good Job Dean as well on Saturday's race. I haven't heard about Sunday's AI race though. I hope it went well for all.
Mark

johnbasf
07-20-2003, 09:52 PM
I was hoping to hear from Dean about today's results. Jeremy has an awesome car and he's a good driver. I hope you get your car right soon Mark.

AI/X #08
07-21-2003, 12:44 AM
Yeah it should seem so simple. Fuel, spark, boom. It helps to have all the contributing factors in between covered. It is also nice to be making a lot of horsepower, but if the biggest pump you can get can't give it enough fuel, you don't go to the races, and it is time to start over. I am fortunately doing very well in my AGS series, or my patience would have created a hairless situation in my life. I told Mike ( the owner of the car) that this would be a testing year, but I didn't mean my patience.
Mark

mwilson7
07-21-2003, 06:36 AM
Sunday's results were as follows:

AIX:
1 Jeremy Behrendt (pole)
2. Scott Whitehead
3. Scott Hoag

AI:
1. Dean Smeltzer (pole)
2. Elliot Fisher
3. Mark Wilson

johnbasf
07-21-2003, 07:12 AM
Thanks Mark!! Did you qualify and finish in front of Tone???:D

Black Horse
07-21-2003, 09:50 AM
Both days of racing were something to watch....tough competition throughout the ENTIRE field. Congrads to the winners....and to the rookie first timers on Sunday GREAT JOB! You should have seen Gene Bolton tearing the place up.

I cant wait to see some of the "stories" that will soon be appearing here *eg*

btw....anyone have any white paint for aluminum rivets?

b_tone
07-21-2003, 10:46 AM
For Pearson, I was pimpin at Gingerman......

http://www.drakew.com/images/Race/Dscn1743.jpg

Yeah baby!!

Thanks to everyone for coming and helping.

mwilson7
07-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I did qualify and finish in front of Brian both days. I do have to admit is wasn't as satisfying as qualifying in front of John P. Starting behind him, and then passing him in the race.:o

johnbasf
07-21-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by b_tone
For Pearson, I was pimpin at Gingerman......

http://www.drakew.com/images/Race/Dscn1743.jpg

Yeah baby!!

Thanks to everyone for coming and helping.

Lookin' good.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

johnbasf
07-21-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by mwilson7
I did qualify and finish in front of Brian both days. I do have to admit is wasn't as satisfying as qualifying in front of John P. Starting behind him, and then passing him in the race.:o

Bite me!!! You won't make that pass again! :D

bolt-on
07-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Janice and I were able to attend Saturday as spectators. Prior to the race Dean was yawning which proved to be a precursor to the race. At the start he entered turn one third overall behind the AIX cars of Jeremy Behrendt and Scott Whitehead. Jeremy pulled a big lead early as Dean stayed close to Scott. After a full field black flag to remove a disabled car from the front straight, Scott gradually gained on Jeremy and pulled away from Dean. Dean's choked down 347 did not have the power to stay even with the two front running AIX cars, but plenty of grip to put the distance on the rest of the field!

STU
07-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Congratulations Dean! :thumbsup:

mwilson7
07-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Just wait till I "drop the hammer!" Dean!!

John - Your right about that as I won't be starting behind you again!

Cobra-R
07-21-2003, 11:30 PM
Just wait till I "drop the hammer!" Dean!!

John - Your right about that as I won't be starting behind you again!

wow, there is almost as much doo in here as the members only forum. ;)

Congrats everyone, sounds like alot of fun!!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Brian

kevin
07-22-2003, 01:33 PM
congrats to all and glad to see dean is running again:thumbsup:

Dean95CobraR
07-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the congrats!:)

It was quite a weekend to say the least. I still have plenty of bugs to work out but it's getting closer.

Instead of the Groth tire fund, I need a Smeltzer clutch cable fund. :( Went through 2 more clutch cables again this weekend. I think a new set of headers are in order. They have a big crack in them and they keep burning my cables. :mad: I know a new set will give me a few more ponies too. :D (sorry Mark, guess I may end up being a moving target) ;)

Any potential sponsors out there want to chip in? :D ;)

mwilson7
07-22-2003, 03:22 PM
You kep bumping those ponies up and I may have to make an issue out of the lack of dyno sheets!!!:eek:

Hats off to you and Dave for changing your clutch cable and still making it out on the practice session.

b_tone
07-22-2003, 03:23 PM
Dean, don't forget that mark's secret weapon is not the motor. You have a chassis that is kinda sorted and soon he will have a well sorted chassis and a well sorted motor........

be afraid, be very afraid......

Dean95CobraR
07-22-2003, 04:10 PM
Dean, don't forget that mark's secret weapon is not the motor. You have a chassis that is kinda sorted and soon he will have a well sorted chassis and a well sorted motor........

be afraid, be very afraid......

Honestly, nothing would make me happier. I also can't wait till next year when you have your killer AI car. It's all about competition. :cool:

Next year should really be a great year for the Midwest AI series. :thumbsup:

AI/X #08
07-22-2003, 04:24 PM
" Sure" says Mark (the AI/X spectator of the year):mad:

mwilson7
07-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Mark,

Would you like to see what we do at night when your not around?

http://recaro-seats.com/images/cerra_films.jpg

We watch home movies........

Dean95CobraR
07-22-2003, 04:59 PM
Mark,

This movie was brought to you by
http://www.heritage-flag.com/images/logo/burgerking.gif

"Big and Tastys for everyone!!!":D

mwilson7
07-22-2003, 05:04 PM
CLASSIC!!!!!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

AI/X #08
07-22-2003, 08:03 PM
:321:
That goes to both of you ingrates.

Mark's picture was bad enough, but the Burger queen thing was just harsh. Don't make me get out my 78 Mercury Zephyr and spank you people.:D

HistoricMustang
07-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Good stuff from us here in the East.

AIX #97

jbracing
07-22-2003, 11:31 PM
Thank you everyone for the kind remarks. We have a great group of people running the Ohio/Indiana region and L. Mansier does a great job with the events.

We are doing are best to win people over by trying to prove this late model Ford technology. Even though Wilson won't believe me the motor we ran this weekend was a junkyard motor, completely stock as it came from Ford, donated by Cerra Racing. The IRS is also very close to the way it came from Ford except for some bushing changes.

I think the Ohio/Indiana and East regions need to challenge the West to put up some money for the Vegas race. Unless they are afraid they might have to give it away !!!!!!

Thanks again everyone.

sn8kbit
07-23-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR
Honestly, nothing would make me happier. I also can't wait till next year when you have your killer AI car. It's all about competition. :cool:

Next year should really be a great year for the Midwest AI series. :thumbsup:

Dean, when you decide on a set of headers, let me know already!

Gotta take care of my Griffon Security boys.....;)

And congrats to you and Jeremy both. I had the opportunity to talk to Mark Wilson just before you guys ran this last weekend about a set of seats, I guess he forgot to drop all those tacks out on the track....:rotf:

Steve

mwilson7
07-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Actually I brought the tacks but I could never get in front of either of them to drop them out the window!!:eek:

Cobra-R
07-23-2003, 11:53 PM
Actually I brought the tacks but I could never get in front of either of them to drop them out the window!!:eek:

Now that I believe!! ;):rotf: :rotf:

racercosmo
07-24-2003, 04:22 AM
I think the Ohio/Indiana and East regions need to challenge the West to put up some money for the Vegas race. Unless they are afraid they might have to give it away !!!!!!

I have $100 for an AI guy from the East or Ohio/Indiana getting on the podium.

mwilson7
07-24-2003, 06:35 AM
Truth hurts but at least I'm honest!!:rolleyes:

Dean95CobraR
07-24-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by racercosmo

Hmmmm, very interesting. I've been thinking about coming out but chances are that the car won't be running by then. :rolleyes:

We'll see what happens after Watkins Glen. :thumbsup:

AI/X #08
07-24-2003, 10:08 AM

Cosmo,
Thanks for the offer, and by god we'll be there to go for it. It's Vegas, so you gotta gamble you know. Since this is a "Pro-series", I was hoping for a little more incentive. The Ohio/Indiana region is possibly going to pay the way if someone gets on the podium. What does the West have to offer? Especially since it is on home turf, and it is not only a track we don't know, but our first year out. I'm thinking that the West could get the track a day early and let us practice.:thumbsup: The current contingency sponsors may be interested in putting something up as well. Cosmo, got any in's?:)
Mark (onralz)

b_tone
07-24-2003, 03:32 PM
Mark, the incentive for the Cerra Racing #8 AIX car to do well would be that the Eastern Region of AI would be able to replace the following mental image of the Cerra Racing AIX car with a picture of you on the podium. In case you forgot what the current mental picutre is, below is a reminder.

p.s. Perhaps Cerra should put up some money as well for more incentive.

AI/X #08
07-24-2003, 04:11 PM
What are you and Wilson a tag team? :D I don't actually need an incentive to go. I planned on it months ago. Vegas with a bunch of my friends, racing, and Sema. You can't beat that kind of week.
:D Since you seem interested in the car actually getting out, and it might not till then, that means your going right?
Actually the car will get out this weekend at Blackhawk Farms if they get the pump in in time. I don't see why not, so why don't you join us?
Mark

b_tone
07-24-2003, 04:16 PM
I would love to go but my better half has "Persuaded" me not to build a competitive motor until this fall. For me to bring my car out there I would have to have a real motor in the car, and as it sit it's not competitive as can be seen from the Gingerman results.

Perhaps I will take a vacation to Vegas to come out and watch. Wait, there is a way to do this.......Cerra is in the habit of giving away motors so I can just sign up with them and have a 450whp 302 delivered to my doorstep. Once the motor gets here and we put it in the car I will have no problem dragging it all the way out to vegas to play. If they can do it for Jeremy they can do it for me.

any old junk yard 450+rwhp motor will do as long as it has pushrods.....Tell mike that next week would be just fine.

BT
'In need of hp"

edit for spelling

AI/X #08
07-25-2003, 10:28 AM
Aw come one Brian, we'll have fun. According to Cosmo, the Griggs cars aren't making very mucy torque or horsepower either. I'm sure we could throw something together. I have a 302 out of my 78 Mercury Zephyr I would be willing to donate.:D
Mark

racercosmo
07-26-2003, 03:49 AM
I know more money would be great, but that's about all that can come out of my own pocket without "She who cannot be pissed off" getting pissed off. About having home field advantage, we haven't run the Derek Daly course, so it's anybody's race.

AI/X #08
07-26-2003, 10:36 AM
Cosmo,
I didn't mean more money from you, I was referring to the series or sponsors. We definitely don't want your better half upset, that makes for a harsh weekend.
So this won't be the same course as was run last year under the lights? The Derek Daly course I assume is used for his school. Is it all road course, or is it still using the embankment? Regardless it should be a hoot and we are looking forward to is. If we could only get the car out before that for some seat time.:D
Mark

sn8kbit
07-26-2003, 10:51 PM

Cosmo,

Being Vegas and all, Griffon Security (me) will see that $100. I'm in the same boat with the Treasurer (wife) or I'd up it a bit also. I'm all for an East meets West.

Is the Daly track the same as they ran for OTC?

kevin
07-27-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by sn8kbit
Cosmo,

Being Vegas and all, Griffon Security (me) will see that $100. I'm in the same boat with the Treasurer (wife) or I'd up it a bit also. I'm all for an East meets West.

Is the Daly track the same as they ran for OTC?

yes, the small track in vegas

racercosmo
07-27-2003, 03:23 PM
The Derek Daly course is actually outside of the Speedway therefore it doesn't use any of the oval.

johnbasf
07-27-2003, 07:36 PM
It would be sweet to have a sponsor bring us all together. :thumbsup:

sn8kbit
07-27-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by kevin
yes, the small track in vegas

That's gonna make for an interesting race......;)

johnbasf
07-27-2003, 10:12 PM
http://www.derekdaly.com/trackandfacility.html click more for outside road course.

svt_coupe
07-28-2003, 10:16 AM
The Derek Daly course, huh? That's a pretty tight little course. Tight, challenging, and fun. It's a track that rewards those who drive it well - meaning, if you can't corner or blow an apex, you won't be quick.

I'm trying to imagine the start of that race - there's barely a front straight and getting all the cars lined up for the start would be tricky, I'd think. Some of the cars in the rear would be in the corner leading onto the "front straight" as the green flag dropped. Can we run it in reverse direction maybe? heh heh heh

wreckm
07-28-2003, 11:45 PM
Hello to all. We to are thinking of making the trip west. What is the purse for an AI EAST driver winning on the gocart course? We need some type of incentive for the drive!

racercosmo
07-29-2003, 01:08 AM
Crap, I forgot that Shuggy is experienced at DD.
Wreckm, the same purses that are available on the East apply out here, with the addition of $100 from me if you make the podium.

sn8kbit
07-29-2003, 10:38 AM
$100 for an East Coast podium from me (Griffon Security) also.

Cosmo, I wouldn't worry about Shugg. He'll be looking for that trophy girl from OTC, heh.

wildhorsesracin
07-29-2003, 11:04 AM
b_tone said:
I would love to go but my better half has "Persuaded" me not to build a competitive motor until this fall

AND HE ISN'T MARRIED YET!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

(sorry brian - couldn't resist!)

johnbasf
07-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by wildhorsesracin
b_tone said:

AND HE ISN'T MARRIED YET!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

(sorry brian - couldn't resist!)

I thought he was talking about Mark Wilson?? :D

svt_coupe
07-31-2003, 02:06 PM
Crap, I forgot that Shuggy is experienced at DD.

"Experienced" is a relative term. :) I have about 60 minutes on that course. In the first 30 minutes, the car was cutting off midcorner because of a bum fuel pump relay. The second 30 minutes were a bit better...

Hey Cos - I hear some of our AI West brethren have experience on that track... as in, a lot of experience. Is that true? Either way... when the green flag drops, the BS stops. I'd love to make some new friends out your way, 6" apart from one another's door handles. :)

Shuggy

AI/X #08
07-31-2003, 02:12 PM
Dayum Shuggy, you're my kind of guy. Does this mean you're in? I hope to see you before that, but defintely there. First round is on me after the SEMA show guys!
Mark

wildhorsesracin
07-31-2003, 02:19 PM
svt_coupe said:6" apart from one another's door handles

Golly! you are always closer than 6" to my car! Give me some vroom!

winddysvt
08-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Got a call from Dean this morning. Here they are:

AIX: Jeremy Behrendt (pole)
Scott Whitehead
Barry Kline
Stan Berry
Brian Tone

AI: Dean Smeltzer (pole)
Mark Wilson
Elliot Fisher
Eric Meehan

Mark Wilson Qualified and finished ahead of Brian Tone.:D

Finishing order overall:

Jeremy Behrendt
Scott Whitehead
Dean Smeltzer
Barry Kline
Mark Wilson
Elliot Fisher
Stan Berry
Brian Tone
Eric Meehan

More details to come as the boys return tonight from the track.

Good luck today and be safe.:thumbsup:

===============

congratulations Dean !!

and all the guys ----

were proud of you!!

can't wait to see you drive!!:thumbsup: :bounce:

:burnout:

winddysvt
08-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Mark,

=============

hey Mark !!

:thumbsup: :bounce:

we do that too!
but thats the first time I've seen it on the trailer ---- thats a heck of allot easier than the way we usually do it.... Either in a hotel room or if the hotel decides to let us use a room....

great idea!:thumbsup: :bounce:

the picture is a sad reminder ----

but the idea is cool!

AI/X #08
08-01-2003, 08:17 PM
the picture is a sad reminder ----

Indeed it is. :o
Oh well, at least the car made it out for one event so far this year. It's done now sands dyno tuning so I'm bringing out the new engine and suspension. Look out grass.
Mark

sn8kbit
08-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by AI/X #08
Indeed it is. :o
Oh well, at least the car made it out for one event so far this year. It's done now sands dyno tuning so I'm bringing out the new engine and suspension. Look out grass.
Mark

Heh, look out Kink in September.....;)

Seriously tho, stop by that Saturday at RA, I'm tryin to do up plenty of eats this year...

AI/X #08
08-02-2003, 01:09 AM
I just got back from my AS race at Road America. There were actually no accidents in the kink this year. I was happy to win both races there that weekend without a dent or scratch, unlike the year before. The car came back in one piece. I hope to see you at RA this year. We'll have the yellow banana car there.
Mark

mwilson7
08-03-2003, 10:28 AM
Mark,

Are you running A Sedan as well? Where can we find the results? How many people were running in the A Sedan class this year at RA? Seems that AS class sizes are going down lately.

AI/X #08
08-03-2003, 12:28 PM
I call my AGS class AS because it is the same rule structure just without the SCCA making stupid spectator rules for it and people don't generally know what AGS is. That is of course why I am trying to get certain other AI friends to run with me, but oh well. The results are on mylaps.com . I'll try to post the page here. Or not. I can't figure out how, so just go to my laps.com (www.mylaps.com) and in their case type up scca under group and it will give you a list. In my case type up under Midwestern Council and you'll see a list. This is pretty true of any racers that use AMB transponders, except NASA which I couldn't find anything about. My fastest qualifying lap was on Sunday's race at a 2:39. My fastest race lap was a 2:40. I won the race on Saturday with a 40 second lead over second place. Sunday's was a little closer as the car kept cutting out above 4500 rpm and I had to shift at 4000 to keep it from doing it. Fortunately I had already had a big lead. I found the problem to be a bad mass air meter. Are you going to come and play at the Road America event with the Shelby club Mark? It is always a hoot. If that is really a word.
Mark

AI/X #08
08-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Sorry, forgot the rest of the questions. AS is maintaining it's level of people but was on a big decline for a couple of years. We are looking at changing the rule structure to allow mods to make the engines more reliable, like forged cranks, rods, and different blocks. That is bringing more people back into AS. Now one of the problems with AS is they are so closely matched, there are too many racing contact incidents as they are usually running a first turns squirmish for more than two laps since they are so tight. I see this with spec miata as well, or at least around here. I hope that NASA's rule about contact will eliminate that from happening, but it is going to be tough once AI becomes even closer competition.
Mark

winddysvt
08-04-2003, 01:22 PM
I think this is something Tim would like to pursue as well ----

we need to look into what it is that he needs to do to get himself there....

any suggestions for him?

mwilson7
08-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Tim could start by posting here or talk to any of us off line. I was hesitant to make the switch to wheel to wheel racing but haven't regretted it at all!

I would HIGHLY recommend it for someone looking for something new in the open track scene.

Besides some safety equipment your car is pretty much all set to go!

AI/X #08
08-04-2003, 02:42 PM
I agree with Mark. I haven't had that much metal to metal. Only one that was caused by someone being over confident and he apologized and offered to help with the car. I am so much more confident driving now that I have had the opportunity to run wheel to wheel. It looks scary sometimes, but no worse than pushing your car to the limit on cold tires in an autocross. You do need to have some faith and trust in who you run with but that just takes time. I've had more incidents on the way to the track than at the track.:D
Mark

swhiteh3
08-25-2003, 04:26 PM
I would love to go but my better half has "Persuaded" me not to build a competitive motor until this fall.

Man, I'm the one getting married this weekend, but you're the one who's had his balls cut off, huh? :-)

swhiteh3
08-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by AI/X #08
I call my AGS class AS because it is the same rule structure just without the SCCA making stupid spectator rules for it and people don't generally know what AGS is.

Hmm.. that's funny. I do the same thing.

Lots of people don't know what American Iron is, so I just say "Formula 1".

-Scott Whitehead

winddysvt
08-25-2003, 05:31 PM
Tim could start by posting here or talk to any of us off line. I was hesitant to make the switch to wheel to wheel racing but haven't regretted it at all!

I would HIGHLY recommend it for someone looking for something new in the open track scene.

Besides some safety equipment your car is pretty much all set to go!

--------------------

I'll try and get him on here!! :bounce:
he's so busy all the time.... but I'll get him on here eventuallly.

anyway --

what other modifications would we need that we don't already have on the '99?

winddysvt
08-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by swhiteh3
Hmm.. that's funny. I do the same thing.

-Scott Whitehead

=============

Scott --

are you going to be at Gingerman this September for the SCMC event?

(as an instructor) ?

you really helped me allot last year and I'm gonna need some encouragement... :rolleyes:

that is, if you don't mind riding in an 02 Audi TT ALMS edition....

:rolleyes:

swhiteh3
08-25-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by winddysvt
=============
Scott --
are you going to be at Gingerman this September for the SCMC event?
(as an instructor) ?
you really helped me allot last year and I'm gonna need some encouragement... :rolleyes:
that is, if you don't mind riding in an 02 Audi TT ALMS edition....
:rolleyes:

Hey, wasn't it last years SCMC event where I ran all weekend in my friends A4?

I'm not sure if I'll be there or not. Guess I need to talk to Dean about that. Hey Dean, call me!

winddysvt
08-25-2003, 06:02 PM
Yeah Dean !!

call Scott - we need him!!

:thumbsup:
:bounce:

AI/X #08
08-31-2003, 12:30 AM

Me Too Scott! In this case though, the rules are the same except for the stock fuel injection. We run the same tracks, and we run with AS in their events, and they run with us in ours. I have outqualified and beat the AS central division guys that run with us, and these boys go to the runoffs. We ran at Gingerman this weekend and I won the race by.4 seconds. I didn't run that well in my opinion, but good enough. I broke the differential in the qualifying session and only ran a 1:36.2. Good enough for pole though. So I guess when I say that we are the same as AS, I am referring to stock suspension, stock engines, and similar times. When you are referring to AI being F1, you are just on some good drugs. :D
Sorry to see you weren't up at BeaveRun this weekend. I hope to see all of you at VIR.
Mark

NJ2000R
09-05-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by swhiteh3
Hey, wasn't it last years SCMC event where I ran all weekend in my friends A4?

I'm not sure if I'll be there or not. Guess I need to talk to Dean about that. Hey Dean, call me! yes please do....or Scott, call Dean :D