PDA

View Full Version : Weird Failure

johnbasf
07-20-2003, 07:51 PM
I was checking my mod on my brake pedal today in the garage. I was pushing the brake pedal down and seeing if I could heel-toe better. I pushed it in the 4th or 5th time and the pedal hit the floor?? The car was running when this happened. I left it running and got out and found brake fluid under the drivers side of the car. I jacked up the car, took the wheel off to find that the brake line had come loose. It came off the barbed end of the line up near the frame. I will get some pics as soon as the new ones come in from MM. These were Baer Lines purchased at Apex Motorsports. I am not bashing Apex. This is just a heads up on something else to check. These lines had been on the car for two race weekends. Later

SIUNARA
07-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Glad that happened in the garage and not on track...that could have been real bad!! Another reason to check your brake lines on a regular basis!! :)

johnbasf
07-20-2003, 08:03 PM
This is something that you really couldn't have seen. You'll see when I take some pics. It's like the line wasn't properly crimped. I'm glad it happened at O MPH. :thumbsup:

SIUNARA
07-20-2003, 08:06 PM
Wow...imagine inspecting your lines and still having something go wrong...that would SUCK!! Glad it was caught early...we don't need you or the Mystic getting hurt. ;)

Calvin_1976
07-20-2003, 09:56 PM
Good thing you found that in the garage!

johnbasf
07-21-2003, 06:10 PM
Here's a couple of pics, on and off.

johnbasf
07-21-2003, 06:11 PM
off,:eek: :eek:

wreckm
07-21-2003, 06:25 PM
You did not get the jackstand stuck at any time did you? We are all glad you found this before you take me for a ride! I am going to post a few pics in the next couple of days of the new ride!!!! I really am glad you found that problem. Has it been hot? It looks burnt!

johnbasf
07-21-2003, 06:39 PM
That is a rubber sleeve over the end of the braided line.

johnbasf
07-28-2003, 06:27 PM
I replaced the blown lines. Here is a pic of the lines together. The one on the left is the one that failed. You can see that it was not crimped as close to the nut as the other.

johnbasf
07-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Here is a pic of the failed line apart. It's hard to see but there is a ring where the line is supposed to crimp around. The crimp doesn't make it to the upper side of the ring.

SIUNARA
07-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Hey...be careful those ramps don't sneek under the front of your car...they have been known to do that from time to time!! ;) ;) :thumbsup: