PDA

View Full Version : best supercharger

boostedstang
07-20-2003, 11:55 PM
What is the best supercharger to put on a 99 cobra. I was thinging of putting a kenne bell supercharger on. Any ideals.
Thanks

tcrews
07-21-2003, 12:15 AM
KenneBell doesn't have one available for the '99-'01 Cobras....though they have been "available soon" (according to KB) for the past two years.

I'm partial to Vortech, especially in a street car. They have a proven record and are extremely reliable.

boostedstang
07-21-2003, 01:18 PM
ya, I know they don't have one for the 99 cobra. I am going to put a cobra R hood on. Thought it might fit under the hood since that was one of the problems. Ya vortech supcharger are nice. Thanks for the reply.

SpeedFreakSVT
07-21-2003, 09:38 PM
Paxton Novi 2000.. they even have the 3000 kit now...

boostedstang
07-23-2003, 12:02 AM
Have ya seen any turbo kits for 99 cobra's?

smashedheadcat
07-23-2003, 05:18 PM
http://www.proturbokits.com/mustang9603kits.htm

Here ya go!!

Lightning Bob
07-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Here's a few pics of the Paxton Novi 1000 kit on my 99 Cobra. I'm only running 8 lbs of boost, and a conservative tune, but it has a ton of power. Paxton rates this kit at 480 HP, and the Novi 1000 will spool up quicker than the Novi 2000. The 1000 is capable of up to 17 lbs of boost with their optional aftercooler (per Paxton) but I don't plan to go there anytime soon as I don't want to pop for the after cooler, forged engine internals, a live rear axle, and tranny upgrades needed to handle that much more HP.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8482

Boost is definately worth the $$$ - Do It!

Lightning Bob

boostedstang
07-24-2003, 12:25 AM
Thanks guys. I have a twin turbo 5.0 and I love boost. Just wonder which one is better on the newer ones. By the way it is for sell if any of ya are instressed.

jackers
01-12-2004, 11:35 PM
boostedstang,
i am interested in your twin turbo set up. what kit is it and does it fit the 87-93 5.0? price? any pics?

why are you getting rid of it? any problems with tuning (randy haywood will most likely be tuning it).

thanks

Firme
01-13-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
http://www.proturbokits.com/mustang9603kits.htm

Here ya go!!

I'm with Josh here.....http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/imgs/smilies/headbang.gif

smashedheadcat
01-13-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by jackers
boostedstang,
i am interested in your twin turbo set up. what kit is it and does it fit the 87-93 5.0? price? any pics?

why are you getting rid of it? any problems with tuning (randy haywood will most likely be tuning it).

thanks

DUDE!!! Welcome to the cobra board Jack.

BTW, for those that don't know Jack, he's got a mean mean notch back. Definately a beautiful car, and the blower that we installed on it definately helped liven it up. He's interested in turbo's now, and if anyone can help him out........ let him know. :thumbsup:

Josh

jackers
01-13-2004, 10:36 PM
thanks Josh,
i know you love this site and always said this one is your favorite. so i figured i would look it over (hopefully i will be getting my first cobra real soon) and i must say i am impressed. this site has some of the smartest people i have seen in a forum section. thanks again!

boostedstang
01-14-2004, 10:32 PM
I will help anyone out with a turbo set up. I am going to put a T88 on my 99 cobra. I just put a 03 cobra with forged inter, 03 intake cams, and a spec III clutch. The kit on the 93 was custom made. I hate myself but I traded for my 99 cobra. I miss that car:( It is pushing out over 400 on stock everything head cams ect.:firedevil Just let me know what you need help with and I will see what I can do to help.

jackers
01-16-2004, 09:42 PM
hey thanks boostedstang,
i am sure i will be needing lots of help (but lets just hope not). once i get the kit (most likely the vecco twin turbo kit) i plan on having randy haywood tune it. if you could though, let me know what problems i may run into. turbos on mustangs are pretty rare and any help is appreciated. thanks

BadMoFo
01-17-2004, 10:23 PM
boostedstang even if you put on a different hood they still dont make a kb kit for the 99/01 cobra. kb has offered to make the kit if 25 people make a $500 dollar deposit before jan 25th, I bleive they are up to 14-19 or something like that.

Jackers welome, damn there are getting to be alot of josh's around here.:rotf:

smashedheadcat
01-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by BadMoFo
boostedstang even if you put on a different hood they still dont make a kb kit for the 99/01 cobra. kb has offered to make the kit if 25 people make a $500 dollar deposit before jan 25th, I bleive they are up to 14-19 or something like that.

Jackers welome, damn there are getting to be alot of josh's around here.:rotf:

Are they making the 2.2 L Kenny Belle unit?? If not, I wouldn't even waste my time on it. I don't plan on supercharging my 99 ever, but even if I was going to, I'd at least have to have a big unit (:D). Ha ha ha, that didn't sound too good.

BadMoFo
01-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by smashedheadcat
Are they making the 2.2 L Kenny Belle unit?? If not, I wouldn't even waste my time on it. I don't plan on supercharging my 99 ever, but even if I was going to, I'd at least have to have a big unit (:D). Ha ha ha, that didn't sound too good.

I dont know the size I will have to go back over to modularfords. com and look. I know it will be 6 psi non intercooled. I was hoping for the 9 psi intercooled.

smashedheadcat
01-18-2004, 02:13 PM
It'll probably be the unit similar to that for the 96-98 cobras. It's a small unit that maxes out around 400 or so the wheels. Maybe a little more, maybe less. This is with all bolt on's and a heft dosage of boost. But, they do sound cool, and they are still quick. But, I'd bet the farm on a vortech over the KB any day of the week.

Josh

boostedstang
01-18-2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by jackers
hey thanks boostedstang,
i am sure i will be needing lots of help (but lets just hope not). once i get the kit (most likely the vecco twin turbo kit) i plan on having randy haywood tune it. if you could though, let me know what problems i may run into. turbos on mustangs are pretty rare and any help is appreciated. thanks

They make a good kit. I got his first kit (junkyard kit) on my fox. It make 465 RWHP @ 13 PSI. Stock everything.:firedevil. What year stang are you putting it on. Did you get the on that let you keep the AC?

moonlt
02-16-2004, 02:47 AM
I talked to KB last week; they're going ahead with the '99-01 Cobra kit. They said mild boost at 6lb., 100 hp and 130 ft-lbs torque. Should be a nice setup.

redsnake99
02-16-2004, 07:22 AM
The Vortech charger on my 99 gave me 125 HP, and the aftercooloer added another 75, so that combo gave me 200 more RWHP.

:thumbsup:

racinjason
02-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Tom,
If ya don't mind me asking, how much did the HP setup cost ya? I just posted a new thread asking for help and ideas about rebuilding my engine and your #'s are impressive.

I was thinking about rebuiding mine and installing an 03 Cobra s/c, just because it seems to be my best s/c option... I should be able to find one (upper & lower) on Ebay for around $1500, I can get some '03 heads for $650 from KarKraft and the rods and pistons should be around $1300. To me, this seems like a lot of bang for your buck. What do you forced induction junkies think?
-jason

tcrews
02-27-2004, 11:00 PM
Well there is soooooo much more you need to make the 03 blower work with even an 99 or 01 engine that it's really not that cost effective.....usually a pretty expensive undertaking. The blowers are easy to find used, the misc. crap and the intercooler and plumbing, etc...are hard to find and expensive from Ford.

My setup was around $6400 including shipping. Forged shortblock, ported heads, blower cams, .020 overbore (JE pistons/rings, Eagle H-beam rods, ARP headstuds), complete assembly (cams degreed, heads installed, new gaskets, etc.), SHM oil-pump gears and Canton oil-pan. I shipped them my shortblock and they went to work on it and then sent it back to me.

I posted in your other thread....most basic rebuilds will run you around $2900 to forge your shortblock.