PDA

View Full Version : cheapest supercharger kit for a 97 cobra?

SpeedFreakSVT
07-26-2003, 09:39 PM
whats the cheapest kit???? ive got 40k miles and i dont want to run too much boost to blow the motor... i was thinkng that a vortech kit was the cheast, but then i didnt know if powerdyne would be cheaper... i dunno much about blower prices... (NOS freak) but i wanted to try somethgin different.

smashedheadcat
07-27-2003, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure which is the cheapest. But if you're wanting something cheap, I'd look aound on the corral for one. There's a lot of kits that have never been installed on cars before going for a thousand or so off the purchase price.

www.corral.net/forums

tcrews
07-28-2003, 01:41 PM
A simple Vortech SC-trim (V1 - noisy or V2 - quiet) would be a nice blower that's not too bad. I really suggest buying brand-new as there are a lot of parts and you want to make sure you get everything you are supposed too!! :)

Expect to spend about $3500.00 (or more) because you'll need/want to upgrade a few other components at the same time. The intank fuelpump needs to be upgraded to a 255lph and it would be best to upgrade the MAF to a supercharged calibration (or have yours recalibrated) to allow for the additional airflow it will need to measure.

Larger injectors would be smart, 42# injectors, a properly calibrated MAF and the 255lph intank pump would give you a better setup.

When it comes to supercharging there is really no such thing as "cheap". You are looking at an expensive rebuild when the engine blows and to maximize the life of your stock engine with a blower other components need to be upgraded.

Your choice are Vortech, ATI, Kennebell and Paxton. Powerdyne doesn't make a kit for the Cobra (only the GT). 8-10 psi kits are what are available....though it would be possible to pulley 'up' to reduce boost. 8psi is nice, will add about 120+ rwhp to your current numbers (or more) and if done right can last a long time.

Just keep in mind that one day you will be rebuilding your engine eventually...some sooner than others.

SpeedFreakSVT
07-29-2003, 09:56 PM
thanks a lot for all the info... but what would u rather have? vortech or the kenne bell?

tcrews
07-29-2003, 11:48 PM
I like my Vortech..... :)