PDA

View Full Version : Night series 7-25 update...

Calvin_1976
07-27-2003, 01:13 PM
This was a great event. We had the parking lot from early afternoon for setup through midnight. We ran 7 runs for the official night series points and 6 more runs in the other directions for fun finishing up around 11:30. I was on Victoracers for the first time in 4 or 5 months and for the first time ever I didnt really overdrive them. Several of the folks that have been coaching me came up and told me my driving was looking MUCH improved. The guy thats been working with me alot lately was having me get on the gas much sooner. Basicly he said I am finally getting the car in position and set at the right speed to be on the gas more.

EDIT: I did have one good spin trying to hold a hard right way to fast and the tail came around. One of my friends was working that corner and thanked me for scaring the crap out of him while he was running for his life. woops :D

Video (http://home.nc.rr.com/jheywood/joelRBC.mpg)

Got brake dive?

Calvin_1976
07-27-2003, 01:15 PM
:D

Calvin_1976
07-27-2003, 01:17 PM
I got a couple complaints about the "fire" coming from my brakes. :D

SIUNARA
07-27-2003, 01:33 PM
People complained about your brakes? Mine do that too and people usually gather around to watch because it looks cool. It looks especially cool at night...nice picture!! :thumbsup:

Glad to hear your getting better. Autox is not easy...it takes a great amount of skill to get good...sounds like we're both on the right track!! :D :thumbsup: See you at VIR!

Calvin_1976
07-27-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
People complained about your brakes? Mine do that too and people usually gather around to watch because it looks cool. It looks especially cool at night...nice picture!! :thumbsup:

Glad to hear your getting better. Autox is not easy...it takes a great amount of skill to get good...sounds like we're both on the right track!! :D :thumbsup: See you at VIR!

I think most of the complaints were people that thought I was on the wear indicators. :rotf:

The key I have learned is in the course walk. Find the key cones to mark where you really have to be on track and looking ahead. If you hit your marks there you will go faster. Easy courses have 3-4 key cones where the harder ones have 8 or more. The first half last night had 8 key cones and the second half had 4. Also its important to "get behind the cones". Mostly that means get slowed, car set and on the gas early so you are right behind the cone. This allows you to stay setup and early through everything getting on the gas earlier.

SIUNARA
07-27-2003, 07:30 PM
I've heard people say to "attack the back of the cones"...I always try to remember that as I'm running through the course...helps to keep me focused. Is that "CP" I see on your car? How are things going in that class? I will most likely move from SM to CP next year. :)

johnbasf
07-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Calvin_1976
I got a couple complaints about the "fire" coming from my brakes. :D

Keep Don AWAY from your car after your runs at VIR. I've found him sniffing at my brakes on more than one occasion. Nice pics and vids. See ya Friday.:thumbsup:

Calvin_1976
07-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by SIUNARA
I've heard people say to "attack the back of the cones"...I always try to remember that as I'm running through the course...helps to keep me focused. Is that "CP" I see on your car? How are things going in that class? I will most likely move from SM to CP next year. :)

That is CP on my car. The class is a little empty but in order to turn the car into what I want it to be I must run CP. I really like the class better though. There are 4-5 of us and we really smack talk and help each other out as much as we can. Not that I disliked the guys in ESP but SP is just to limited for my taste. If I keep Victoracers on the car next year I might be able to take the class but we have a new guy that runs Hoosiers all the time so who knows.

Calvin_1976
07-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Keep Don AWAY from your car after your runs at VIR. I've found him sniffing at my brakes on more than one occasion. Nice pics and vids. See ya Friday.:thumbsup:

I had to swap back to EBC Reds yesterday my Hawks were toasted after 6 months of autox abuse. So unless Don likes the smell of burning kevlar (skunk city baby!) he better stay clear. :D

johnbasf
07-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Hey Don, bring a set of the Hawk blues with ya. Joel needs to have some killer pads for the weekend. You did get some in the deal for the calipers right. :D :D I think there was a set of blacks also.

Calvin_1976
07-27-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Hey Don, bring a set of the Hawk blues with ya. Joel needs to have some killer pads for the weekend. You did get some in the deal for the calipers right. :D :D I think there was a set of blacks also.

If I swap pads I have to put new rotors on. The rotors I have will not go the weekend with blues or blacks on. Spares are coming in Wed so I can make sure I get home. :D

johnbasf
07-27-2003, 10:08 PM
We'll have plenty of help to do the swap!!!! :rotf:

Calvin_1976
07-27-2003, 10:44 PM
:thumbsup:

SIUNARA
07-28-2003, 03:39 PM
I'll bring some of the pads down that you gave me John...Joel and Jason can both use whatever they want...there are PF-Z's, Blues, Black's, and PBR's...they can take their pick...for a small fee!! ;) :thumbsup:

johnbasf
07-28-2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks bud. I didn't GIVE them to you.;)

Calvin_1976
07-28-2003, 07:39 PM
:rotf: :rotf:

SIUNARA
07-28-2003, 10:49 PM
That's not what I meant...smarta$$. I can see how this weekend is going to be already!! ;) Keep it up and I'll shut down the kitchen before production even gets started!! :D :D