PDA

View Full Version : 99 fix(ed) or not?

BOOMER23
07-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Well Ive been doing some thinking recently and I am starting to wonder if my 99 has undergone the fix. I really dont have any reason to wonder if the car has been through it or not, I mean its never been run on the strip so I really dont have any direct indications that it is lacking but as anyone who loves their car like I do Id like to know everything I can about it. The car had one previous owner as you guys can probably tell, and from what little I know about him it just doesnt sound like he was exactly an SVT guy but more of a guy with a little money that wanted to buy a mustang, not quite the cobra addicts like we all are. I guess I'll cut to the chase by asking someone to tell me how in Gods name I should go about finding out whether its had the fix done or not and also, just so Im clear was it a recall that is free to the owner? Is it up to the owner of the car to get it done within a certain time frame so an offer doesnt run out? and also what exactly does it entail? And finally in this long line of questioning after it was bought by the guy who owned it before it was traded back in to the same dealership, when they got it do you guys suspect that if it had not been done by that time they did it then. Thanks a lot guys Boy I sure hope either A) its already been done or B) if not then im not too late somehow. I feel kinda foolish for asking but hey I figure somebody in here can help and its something that Ive got to get to the bottom of.

Thanks again,
Ashton

JBejarano
07-29-2003, 12:56 AM
if I remember correctly, what was done was extrude honing the intake, reflash the computer, and a new exhaust system. Supposedly you can tell its been done by some sort of a colored dot on the intake (?) and they might have put a sticker somewhere on the car indicating that the computer was reflashed. And also if I remember correctly, the "deadline" to have this done free of charge was the end of March of last year.
I'm sure someone else will chime in on this. :thumbsup:

BOOMER23
07-29-2003, 01:58 AM
Is that what that white rectangular shaped sticker that says DO NOT REMOVE is that is on my windshield right above my VIN #. Also as a side note after hearing about the deadline you mentioned being a year ago, if in fact my car has not undergone the fix Id like to take this time to say Dammit :mad: Thanks though JBejarano. I hope I do get some more input on this!

JBejarano
07-29-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by BOOMER23
Is that what that white rectangular shaped sticker that says DO NOT REMOVE is that is on my windshield right above my VIN #.

If that is the sticker, it should have your new computer code on it. I cant say for sure what the sticker says as I did not receive one when I got the "fix" done to my car. As far as the dealine goes, thats what I was told by the service guy that was handling my car, so I dont know that to be a fact. Anybody else have any info on this?

sn8kbit
07-29-2003, 10:27 AM
The easiest way to find out if you had the "fix" is run by the local dealership, and have them run the VIN. They'll be able to tell you for sure.

There were 2 lower intakes under the fix. One was extrude honed, the other was (I'm reaching here...) acid dipped I think. It'll either have a blue dot or green dot on the lower. They reflash the computer and change the catback also. While I didn't get the sticker, my understanding was that it was under the hood.

While at the dealer, be sure to have the VIN checked for all the recalls also...

BOOMER23
07-29-2003, 01:34 PM
Ive found a fairly worn dot on a small protruding part of the lower intake manifold today so I am pretty confident that everything is in order, I'll probably take the advice and run it by the dealership anyways just to be totally sure but thanks to you guys that helped me out with this little inquiry of mine.

willyumm
07-31-2003, 11:07 AM
The best way to find out is to call SVT. Give them you Vin#. They will also send you a certificate for your car if you request it.
www.svt.ford.com/flash/index.html

William

64alp
07-31-2003, 09:38 PM
Your best bet is to call. When I bought my car '99 white vert I called and they indicated "it was not a recall" I of course said so what is it fixed.
I have pics of my sticker if that would help. It is located on the rail in front of the air cleaner.
I hope this helps.

KevinGeisbert
08-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Ya know, I called SVT, gave them the Vin and they told me that a Ford dealer squared away the intake, squared away the computer, but did not fool with the exhaust.

When I bought the car, I called the original owner (name was on the title) and asked him. He told me that he thought the computer and intake was changed, but no exhaust.

When I look on the front of the intake [standing at the grille], I see a black dot (in majic marker) at the end of a 'block' protrusion of aluminum sticking out of the intake (about 1 1/4" down and to the left of the fuel rail on the passenger side).

What aggravates me most about the 'fix' is that the indicators and the fix itself are all inconsistent. Why can't Ford standardize this? If Porsche has a recall of this sort, would they have a universal standardized fix including resolution of customer inqueries (ie: campaign #xxxx has been completed in accordance with TB #xxx instead of black dots, blue dots, etc). Half a$$ed.

99SVT3753
05-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Ive found a fairly worn dot on a small protruding part of the lower intake manifold today so I am pretty confident that everything is in order, I'll probably take the advice and run it by the dealership anyways just to be totally sure but thanks to you guys that helped me out with this little inquiry of mine.
should have 2 dots .. lt green .. and dark bluish .. (my bluish one has worn off with steam cleaning and stuff) .. but yes, local ford dealer can confirm .. I'd say call the 1-800-SVT number but I think they disbanned 1 APR 2006

Black Snake 99
06-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Ashton,

Call 1-800-FORDSVT and have your VIN handy. They can tell you if the car has undergone the recall campaign and they can send you a certificate telling you where your car stands in the overall build, i.e. car #650 of x built. You will have to send them proof of ownership (copy of title, registration, insurance etc.). The last time I called they answered "Ford Performance" but were still in business. That call was back in February or March. I bet they still have the resources to deal with this matter.

There were two other recalls I believe but cannot remember what they were about. They can also clue you in on them as well.

Good luck

99SVT3753
06-06-2006, 07:52 AM
as for the exhaust .. they woulda welded in Flowmaster 2 or 3 chambers .. :)

cobrabitn
06-06-2006, 09:15 PM
The fix was basically three items. A new exhaust with bigger diameter pipes, an extrude honed intake, and a computer reflash. You should have a decal under the hood that tells when the reflash was completed. If you do not have the decal, then most likely the upgrade was not completed. This basically moved a 99 Cobra from 255 to 270-275 rwhp. :)

If you are wanting a Certificate of Authenticity, you may as well get your checkbook ready as they now cost $40.00 for the certificate. I would try to contact the original owner to see if they still have it in safe keeping. :D

One of the other recalls was the rear knuckle recall.

99SVT3753
06-07-2006, 12:30 PM
If you are wanting a Certificate of Authenticity, you may as well get your checkbook ready as they now cost $40.00 for the certificate. I would try to contact the original owner to see if they still have it in safe keeping. :D[/QOUTE]

[QUOTE=cobrabitn]One of the other recalls was the rear knuckle recall.
Really? .. Mine was sent to me for free after calling the 1-800- number!

Local dealer will have to look up your VIN for the knuckle - it's not ALL 99 Cobras. Mine already had the FIX since it was built in July months after the knuckle issue.

cobrabitn
06-07-2006, 09:48 PM
If you called about your certificate while SVT was still answering the phone then they'd send you a complimentary copy but even in their own recent writing, they charge $40.00 for a replacement or $30.00 if you are an SVTOA member.