PDA

View Full Version : Open Track Tire Question (looking for more advice).

Bartman01
07-31-2003, 06:18 PM
What is the minimum tread allowable on the tires to run the open track day. Reason I ask is my rear tires are almost all the way to the tread indicators (one probably will be by mid August). I was thinking about getting new tires, but got a recommendation to just run what I have and buy the new tires afterwards.

The way I see it, I have three choices.

1) Run what I have (worn back tires, and partially worn front).

2) Buy new KDW's and chew them up on the track.

3) See if anyone has a set of 4 partially worn tires that I can get for cheap to use on the track day.

Any of you experianced open-trackers have a preference from the above (or another choice I am missing)?

Edit - thought of another option - buy 2 (new or used) KDW's for the track event then finish off the set afterward.

03 cobra toy
07-31-2003, 07:28 PM
Minimum tread is 1/16...

ck technicial inspection
Page 9

http://www.svtmustangcobraclub.com/media/pdfs/TWS%20Events%20Packet.pdf

I would use the tires you have now...:thumbsup:

Firme
07-31-2003, 08:05 PM
Bart, I have a tread wear gauge if you need to use it to gauge the state of you tires on (maybe on the Tuesday Coffee run) :D

I would say if you have around 4/32 on the worn tires, use those and buy new afterwards. From what Andy told me, run the tires that are in better shape up front. If I remember right, you are only running 1 day, so you won't destroy them that bad.

I went ahead and got a set of NITTO 555's :thumbsup: VERY nice tires....

maybe the seasoned track guys can chime in here :)

johnbasf
07-31-2003, 08:32 PM
4/32 is plenty of tread. Go out there and have a ball. If this is your first event you will be held back a little the first couple of runs. If your instructor feels good about you and the car he will have you pick up the pace your second time out. You should be able to run Andy down with worn tires.:D

Bartman01
08-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Firme
Bart, I have a tread wear gauge if you need to use it to gauge the state of you tires on (maybe on the Tuesday Coffee run)

Yes, bring that please so I can be 100% sure. Since I am only running Saturday, I would hate to fail tech for bald tires.

Andy M
08-04-2003, 09:24 AM
ok guys/gals... sorry I have not replied sooner... just got back last night from MidAmerica Motorplex in Iowa. Boy, did we have some fun!! There were 12 Cobra R's there!!! 5 2000's, 6 95's, and 1 93 model. We had a blast!!!!

anyway, on the tire question... if you are already down to the wear indicators, you really should think about getting new ones. Especially for the front of the car. Those are the ones which will take the punishment more so than the rears.

I have 2 Michelin Pilot Sport tires in size 275/35/18 (left over from when I had the M5) in case you are interested? They have enough rubber left on them to run this event on the rear of your car. PM or email me if you are interested?

Bartman01
08-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Andy M
if you are already down to the wear indicators, you really should think about getting new ones. Especially for the front of the car. Those are the ones which will take the punishment more so than the rears.

The tires (front and back) were replaced at staggered intervals so the front tires have plenty of tread on them - the back ones are worn.

One issue I have with the front tires is a bad steering wheel shake at high speed. I am pretty sure it is due to a tire balance issue (I rotated them to the back over the weekend, but haven't had a chance to take it up to 70-80 to test the vibration). I am going to give them a decent spin to shave off any uneven spots then get Discount Tire to rebalance the tires and put them back on front. If that doesn't get rid of it, I will be getting at least 2 tires before the event to fix that.