PDA

View Full Version : Where to get rotors turned?

Bartman01
08-02-2003, 02:38 PM
I used to use Hi/Lo (back when they *were* Hi/Lo) to turn the rotors on my Maxima/Accord/Chevelle. They did a decent job (except once where they screwed up and gave me a new one), but I don't know if I trust them with the Cobra rotors. Where do you guys get rotors turned?

colt .45
08-02-2003, 03:12 PM
I send mine to O'Reilys. $6 a piece.

97CasperCobra
08-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by colt .45
I send mine to O'Reilys. $6 a piece.

I've used O'reilly as well....but mine were $8 a piece!!! :mad:

colt .45
08-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by 97CasperCobra
I've used O'reilly as well....but mine were $8 a piece!!! :mad: Work discount. ;)

03 cobra toy
08-03-2003, 10:38 AM
:( Why are you having them turned? If they are not warped and you are replacing the pads, just scuff the rotors with a sanding disc.....The thinner the rotor gets the easier it warps ;)

97CasperCobra
08-03-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 01 cobra toy
:( Why are you having them turned? If they are not warped and you are replacing the pads, just scuff the rotors with a sanding disc.....The thinner the rotor gets the easier it warps ;)

I've "heard" you ALWAYS need to turn them if you're putting on new pads. And I don't have a sanding disc sitting around.. :(

03 cobra toy
08-03-2003, 11:36 AM
I haven't turned rotors in years. It's just a way to add more labor cost to a brake job...We do replace rotors when they are warped or not within min. thickness. just my 2 cents...
You can buy a scuff pad at auto parts store and use a drill...

Bartman01
08-03-2003, 02:17 PM

For those of us without shops at our disposal, how do you you know when your rotors are warped? If they are warped at all do they need to be replaced, or can turning them sometimes even up the braking surfaces properly. Just curious.

Also - if you scuff them with a disc, is there any danger of not doing them evenly or screwing them up?

colt .45
08-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by 97CasperCobra
I've "heard" you ALWAYS need to turn them if you're putting on new pads. And I don't have a sanding disc sitting around.. :( Not true. The only reason I would turn them is when they are warped.

colt .45
08-03-2003, 03:30 PM
I haven't turned rotors in years. It's just a way to add more labor cost to a brake job...We do replace rotors when they are warped or not within min. thickness. just my 2 cents...
You can buy a scuff pad at auto parts store and use a drill...

Why replace the rotor when you are talking about turning them adding to the labor cost?
Im not taking a chance of messing up a rotor by "scuffing" when all I have to do is spend $6-8 bucks to get them done right.

colt .45
08-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Bartman01
For those of us without shops at our disposal, how do you you know when your rotors are warped? If they are warped at all do they need to be replaced, or can turning them sometimes even up the braking surfaces properly. Just curious.

Warped rotors will cause the car to shake when the brakes are applied.
The problem can be solved by "turning" them.
If in fact the rotors are to thin to turn (i.e. turned numerous times or worn down) then you will have to replace them.

03 cobra toy
08-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by colt .45
Why replace the rotor when you are talking about turning them adding to the labor cost?
Im not taking a chance of messing up a rotor by "scuffing" when all I have to do is spend $6-8 bucks to get them done right.

Check the min thickness spec and you will find there is not much meat on our rotors. When a rotor is at min spec they warp very easy.
Scuffing the rotor will not hurt anything..when the rotors are turned at auto parts store the last step is to scuff them..:thumbsup:

Bartman01
08-04-2003, 12:21 AM
Check the min thickness spec and you will find there is not much meat on our rotors. When a rotor is at min spec they warp very easy.
Scuffing the rotor will not hurt anything..when the rotors are turned at auto parts store the last step is to scuff them..:thumbsup:

Thanks. Guess that'll save me a trip and a few bucks. I had also heard you got best results turning rotors every time you put new pads on. Since in normal applications this isn't very often, and in racing applications you will go through rotors pretty quickly anyway it's probabaly not horrible advice - just seemingly not always necessary. For now I guess I'll not turn them. If they do warp, it would just be a good excuse to get some better ones anyway :cool:.