PDA

View Full Version : oil viscosity?

David1
08-04-2003, 03:52 PM
I live in Pa. and own a stock 97 Cobra. What oil weights are people using during the summer and also the winter?

smashedheadcat
08-04-2003, 05:39 PM
I use 5w30 per recommendation of True Blue Performance.

tcrews
08-04-2003, 06:50 PM
Like Josh said, 5w30 is what you'll want to run all year.

David1
08-05-2003, 05:08 PM
I know 5w30 is manufacturer recommended. But, that is normally for governmental emmission related reasons. I have not had the motor apart yet. Are the oil passages smaller or fewer than previous models? Is everyone else running the stock thermostat with the 5W30?
My previous car was a Buick Grand National, that the factory called for 10W30. The turbos ran so hot, everyone ran 15W50 at least in the summer and 10W40 in the winter.
Can these modular engines realy run so hot, with thin oil, for high mileage?

Thanks again

tcrews
08-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by David1
Are the oil passages smaller or fewer than previous models?

There are some areas that are extremely small in the oil travel path and that is why you shouldn't use anything heavier than a 5 cold weight. Some use 0w30 in the winter and 5w30 in the summer.

Use 5w30 and you'll be fine. These engines perform better with some heat in them, more so than the older 5.0 it replaces.

David1
08-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the info.
I have ticking sound that does not seem to be affected by oil weight (thus my question). The sound is louder when it is cold outside even thought the engine is hot. It is very light at complete idle. If you tap the gas and listen as the engine steps down to idle it is much louder. Friends thought I was imagining this sound, untill last winter at a drive thru the asked what the noise was. I called it my Power Stroke Cobra.

It can sound like a lifter.

I told the dealer it might be a chain tensioner. The dealer says Ford tells them the engine will make noise?. I am not sure if they heard what I am hearing or just do not want to fullfill the ESP I have 10K miles left and until January.

Have you heard of an intermitent, temp. sensitive, tap?