PDA

View Full Version : overheating?

pacecar94
08-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Hey All !! I'm new to the site and have a question that has probably been asked before. I have a 94 Indy that I purchased about 1 1/2 years ago and have noticed while doing the in town cruising the water temp likes to climb to the hot side, It does not go all the way up but hotter than I feel comfortable with. Go out of town on the highway and it cools down somewhat. I have had the radiator checked and appears to be fine. I had heard somewhere that there was a cooling problem on the 94 &95 Cobras. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

cobrapace94
08-07-2003, 02:50 AM
Hey, glad to see another 94 Indy pace car here.. :thumbsup: :bounce:
I think this is pretty normal for the temp to go up when not moving. Need to check and make sure your fan is comming on, if not then you will heat up quickly. When the AC is on max, the high speed fan should be on also.
My radiator sprung a leak, so I upgraded to an aluminum radiator and in the Texas heat it never goes above the "R", even when sitting in traffic. My Pace would do the same as you describe when in traffic.

cobrabitn
08-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Mine 94 did the same thing so I yanked the thermostat out and now it reads in the "or" range in the Carolina heat. ;)

chiller5ohhh
08-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
... so I yanked the thermostat out and now it reads in the "or" range in the Carolina heat. ;)

umm....i may be new at this and everything, but, don't you need the thermostat for something?:doubt: :surprise:

cobrabitn
08-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Yeah, it keeps your water temperatures constant and allows your car to reach maximum operating temperature. However, when you leave it out it makes your computer think it is still warming up so it gives it more fuel to make it heat up quicker. Make sense?

I just opt to have it out in the summer.... ;)

Black Snake
08-09-2003, 12:22 AM
I would use a T-stat. Drop down to a 180* unit. Flush the system and put in new fluids (70 water/30 anti-freeze mix).

smashedheadcat
08-09-2003, 11:08 PM
Here's my take on the thermostat. I think that it's supposed to closed to help bring the car up to operating temperature. With it closed, it will circulate less coolant through the water pump, and it'll come up to temp quicker, but also once open, it doesn't just open and let it flow free. It also will help to keep coolant in the radiator longer by creating a small blockage. This makes sense to me as it will allow the coolant to remain closer to the air flow (fan, or just moving air if driving) giving it more time to cool off. I've never read up on this too much, it's just something I've picked up over time, and it makes sense.