PDA

View Full Version : drag tires on 2001 cobra

corrosive
08-07-2003, 12:05 AM
i was wondering does any body have some combinations on a drag tire and rims 15" 0r 16" that will fit a 2001 ford cobra. i've herd about issues with certain rims not being able to clear suspension. I would perfer mickey t's on prostar or draglites.
appreciate any info.

Ken 01-Cobra
08-07-2003, 07:29 AM
Since your sig doesn't mention an axle swap, I assume you still have the IRS. Here's the bad news...

If you want ProStars or DragLites, you're going to have to go with a 17" wheel unless you grind the corners off the lower IRS arm. Even then, you can only go 16" with the Welds. I got 15" Centerlines to fit, but I really had to grind the corners hard and the wheel still grinds a bit on turnout. The 15" Welds will NOT work no matter how much you grind...you would actually have to turn the wheels and take off material on the inside to make them fit.

Another option I've seen work is the stock 15x6.5" steel wheel from a Mercury (?). For some reason, these will work with a 1" spacer on the back without grinding...but then you're limited to the 10" ET's or 8.5" Drags.

I went through about every combination looking for one that fits, so this info is based on experience. MT now has a 17" ET Street. If I had it to do over, I would probably use it and not grind. Of course, then you're giving up quite a bit of sidewall!

Hope it helps...:thumbsup:

Slowbra
08-11-2003, 09:57 AM
I haven't looked into the Skinny's yet for my car but here is what I am running in the back.

I have custom (Joe Lynch Special) Diamond Racing wheels 16x10 with a 6" BS and some 26x11.5X16" ET Streets that fit without any problems on the IRS.. I "MIGHT" be willing to part with them since I now have a solid axle..

Be prepared to invest in some halfshafts and have them with you at the track to change out. The 03 Shafts are good and if the GKN's/Raxles ever come out those would be nice as well.

Shawn