PDA

View Full Version : TWS Tech Day and Inspection?

Bartman01
08-08-2003, 01:52 PM
Just wondering if anyone was going to try to do a TWS tech day. Need to flush the brake and cooling systems (at least) before the event. Considering that next week is my last week in town before the event, I am considering just having it done. Also, where is everyone getting their tech inspection done?

Bartman01
08-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Nevermind. 30 views and no responses so I just scheduled with Jeff Gee to get my car prepped.

What is with the brake pad prices? 216.00 for a set of Cobra OEM pads :what:. I went ahead and ordered some anyway (along with the '03 wiper assembly with the cool air foil).

johnbasf
08-09-2003, 06:13 PM
Wow!!! You could have went to Auto-Zone for pads.

03 cobra toy
08-09-2003, 07:39 PM
You have a pm....

johnbasf
08-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Give these guys a call, http://www.cobaltfriction.com/ I use these on my Iron car and love them.

Firme
08-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Bart, OEM 01 pads arent your best choice.

You can get a number of pads to replace the front from $100-$150... I did alot of research on pads.. let me know if you need some ideas.

I got some Porterfield R-4 S's for the front. $110 to my door. Gonna prolly use the 03 Cobra OEM pads for the back.

cobrabitn
08-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Autozone - Performance Friction Z pads - $69.00- guaranteed for life! :bounce:

Stock pads for the rear about $20.00.

I use these religiously....

Andy M
08-10-2003, 08:46 AM
Since most of you guys are running your car as a daily driver, I would not get too agressive of a pad, otherwise you will tear up your rotors on the street.

I run the Porterfield R4S pads in front and Performance Friction 90 pads on the rear for street use. For track, I use PF 01 pads in front (DO NOT USE THESE FOR STREET USE!!!) and the same 90 pads in the rear for track.

I recommend you guys use what ever pads you normally use on the car. You will likely use up some of the material during the weekend, so just be prepared to either change them before or just after the event, depending on how much pad depth is on them at the moment.

Levi
08-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Andy M
Since most of you guys are running your car as a daily driver, I would not get too agressive of a pad, otherwise you will tear up your rotors on the street.

I run the Porterfield R4S pads in front and Performance Friction 90 pads on the rear for street use. For track, I use PF 01 pads in front (DO NOT USE THESE FOR STREET USE!!!) and the same 90 pads in the rear for track.

I recommend you guys use what ever pads you normally use on the car. You will likely use up some of the material during the weekend, so just be prepared to either change them before or just after the event, depending on how much pad depth is on them at the moment.

Andy,
I have been out of pocket due to problems with my teeth(PAIN).
I have a question about where to get these brake pads and the HP brake fluid and water weter for the radiator....Thanks ahead of time for the help, Stan.

Andy M
08-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Levi
Andy,
I have been out of pocket due to problems with my teeth(PAIN).
I have a question about where to get these brake pads and the HP brake fluid and water weter for the radiator....Thanks ahead of time for the help, Stan. Stan,

I get all my brake parts stuff from Porterfield.

www.porterfield-brakes.com

You can get good brake fluid just about anywhere locally... O'reilly, Autozone, etc... just be careful if you get "synthetic" fluid, as that CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be mixed with your current fluid. You would be required to completely flush your system if you went that route. I recommend a good DOT3 or DOT4 fluid, which ever your manufacturer recommends. The HiPo Ford DOT3 fluid works well in a street car and has a high enough boiling point to work ok for ocasional track use.

The Water Wetter can be acquired at a place like Pep Boys. THat is where I get mine.

97CasperCobra
08-11-2003, 11:26 AM
"should" we get the water wetter?? Not sure if it's needed for every day cars like ours.

Firme
08-11-2003, 11:30 AM
Here is where I got my Porterfield pads.... shipped to my door for $110

http://www.livermoreperformance.com/Mustang%20Brake%20Pads.html

Stan I wish you would spoke up earlier, I just ordered Mike, David and I some ATE blue stuff brake fluid....

Andy M
08-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by 97CasperCobra
"should" we get the water wetter?? Not sure if it's needed for every day cars like ours. Mike,

Not necessary, but certainly would help some and definitely not hurt any.

Firme
08-11-2003, 11:33 AM

Not necessary, but certainly would help some and definitely not hurt any.

Would it hurt anything to run water wetter for TWS and leave it in there for daily driving? or is it a good idea to flush it after the track?

Levi
08-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Stan,

I get all my brake parts stuff from Porterfield.

www.porterfield-brakes.com

You can get good brake fluid just about anywhere locally... O'reilly, Autozone, etc... just be careful if you get "synthetic" fluid, as that CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be mixed with your current fluid. You would be required to completely flush your system if you went that route. I recommend a good DOT3 or DOT4 fluid, which ever your manufacturer recommends. The HiPo Ford DOT3 fluid works well in a street car and has a high enough boiling point to work ok for ocasional track use.

The Water Wetter can be acquired at a place like Pep Boys. THat is where I get mine.

Andy,
I am scheduled to prep the Cobra this weekend and time right now is not on my side. I would have to get these parts from local companys. Just to conferm, do you think this setup would be OK for my first time at TWS.

HiPo Ford Dot3 Brake Fluid from Ford.
Performance Friction Z pad for the front brakes from Autozone.
Water Wetter from PepBoys.

I thank you for all your help and I think you are one great Dude for putting up with use.

Stan

Andy M
08-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Levi
Andy,
I am scheduled to prep the Cobra this weekend and time right now is not on my side. I would have to get these parts from local companys. Just to conferm, do you think this setup would be OK for my first time at TWS.

HiPo Ford Dot3 Brake Fluid from Ford.
Performance Friction Z pad for the front brakes from Autozone.
Water Wetter from PepBoys.

I thank you for all your help and I think you are one great Dude for putting up with use.

Stan Stan,

You are fine with all of these dude! no problem... it is not so much the brands on all of these, but the age of each that matters... for instance, if your brake fluid has ever boiled and/or has never been flushed, it is probably time to flush it now, before the track event.

The PF Z pads will work just fine... they will just wear a little faster on the track than the more aggressive pads do, BUT, they will also be much easier on the rotors too; which is a good thing!

As for the Water Wetter, not necessary, but if you choose to use it, just follow the directions on the back side of the bottle. And yes, you can leave it in all the time. This is an additive which helps your radiator fluid mixture dissipate heat better.

let me know if you guys have additional questions?...

03 cobra toy
08-11-2003, 04:59 PM
:( Andy who has the best price on PF 01 ??? $200 is the best price I have found....

johnbasf
08-11-2003, 08:04 PM
http://www.raceshopper.com/performance_friction_brake_pads.shtml Try these guys for pads.