PDA

View Full Version : borla or flowmaster

cobra97
08-08-2003, 08:34 PM
hello there

i want to now which is better exhaust for mustang (4.6 cobra)....
borla cat-back exhaust system or flowmaster 2 chamber muffler?

-regared.

Bartman01
08-08-2003, 10:21 PM
Better for what? Best sound (to you) and most power may be mutually exclusive. What about the FR500 cat-back?

tcrews
08-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by cobra97
hello there

i want to now which is better exhaust for mustang (4.6 cobra)....
borla cat-back exhaust system or flowmaster 2 chamber muffler?

-regared.
Depends on the X/H pipe you have. Stock? Offroad? X or H? Makes a huge difference. Typically a catted pipe (H or X) will sound fine with any cat-back/muffler setup. Offroad pipes however tend to depend on certain types of mufflers to sound "good". H - chambered mufflers (flowmaster, etc..). X - straight through mufflers (bassani, borla, etc..).

cobra97
08-09-2003, 09:46 AM
thanks

which is better regarding the HP and TQ ? if used with off Road
.H-pipe?

tcrews
08-09-2003, 11:49 AM
They are pretty much exactly the same. I've seen a dyno graph on the same car but with swapped X/H pipes and the graphs overlayed almost exactly. H a little more here, the X a little more here and so on across the entire range...neither better than the other and neither worse than the other :)

cobra97
08-09-2003, 09:26 PM
what's up man? i hear that the chamberd muff. has greater
flow(cfm) rather than other type????

high flow = more RWHP

smashedheadcat
08-09-2003, 10:51 PM
You can make great power with either one of them. I have borla on mine, and I'm happy with the sound/fit. Can't say much for performance as I never dyno'd my car with the previous exhaust setup. I do run the side exhaust though, and that's not too ideal for flow.

tcrews
08-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by cobra97
what's up man? i hear that the chamberd muff. has greater
flow(cfm) rather than other type????

high flow = more RWHP
Flowmasters actually have the worst flow rate of all most all the different mufflers. Chambered areas reduce the flow ability.

And I wouldn't look at mufflers as a source for finding power....the mid pipe and headers will be where power is found.

cobra97
08-10-2003, 09:25 AM
ahhh So could u advice me for the right one???

tcrews
08-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Like I said, it depends on what type exhaust you are running. Stock? Catted H or Catted X? Offroad H or offroad X? Base your muffler/cat-back purchase off of what exhaust pipe you are running.

Catted pipes:
Chambered will work with any catted setup & stock
Straight through work with any catted setup & stock.

Offroad pipes:
Straight through will work best with offroad X
Chambered will work best with offroad H

smashedheadcat
08-10-2003, 03:37 PM
Here's a good one. BBK Long tube headers, Dr. Gas off road X-pipe, and spintech mufflers. All 2.5 inch. :)

I have BBK Long tubes with BBk o/r H and borla side exhaust.

Tcrews has FRPP shorty headers, Bassani o/r X with bassani catback (he has the most power on the board probably)

Ken-01 Cobra has stock manifolds, bassani catted X-pipe and flowmasters. (his car sounds good too IMO)

Most people don't know what to think of my exhaust setup, it's definatley a tad on the different side which is cool. I'll be running electric cutouts sometime in the future (hopefully before the drag day).

smashedheadcat
08-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Also, as Tom said before, most of the power is going to come from the headers and midpipe. The cat back is going to give you mostly sound. The MAC's and Flowmasters are going to be louder. Straight through mufflers (bassani, borla, magnaflow etc) will give you a tamer exhaust note until higher RPM's. If you want your car to sound different than all the other's, mix and match some combo's to make your car sound unique. I've never heard long tubes with an H-pipe and borla's, so I went with that. i will be trying the Dr Gas X-pipe in the future though just for a change in sound. i think I'll gain some power as well. It may be just a touch, but the Dr Gas equipped cars I've seen have put down a few extra ponies than most other brands.