PDA

View Full Version : dyno in western nc?

94venom
08-13-2003, 11:12 AM
Does anyone out there know of a dyno in western NC?

STANGBUM
08-13-2003, 03:00 PM
I was told that one has opened up on Smokey Park Highway (US 19&23) in Enka. called Blue Ridge Automotive. across from NAPA.:thumbsup:

Big Daddy
08-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by STANGBUM
I was told that one has opened up on Smokey Park Highway (US 19&23) in Enka. called Blue Ridge Automotive. across from NAPA.:thumbsup:

Stangbum you listen very well! :D ;) He's right on with the info! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

94venom
08-13-2003, 08:02 PM
'Preciate it guys!:rotf:

STANGBUM
08-14-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Big Daddy
Stangbum you listen very well! :D ;) He's right on with the info! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well thanks Big Daddy. I am getting a "little" old, (no comments from the peanut gallery):( But my mind still works pretty good:thumbsup:

02WS6
08-22-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by STANGBUM

Hey guys I am a newbie here.... any more contact info on this dyno? Do you know which type dyno it is?

Big Daddy
08-22-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by 02WS6
Hey guys I am a newbie here.... any more contact info on this dyno? Do you know which type dyno it is?

Brand new Dyno Jet. Myself and another member will be getting our cars dynoed there next Friday afternoon. :D :D

94venom
08-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Big Daddy, what part of Asheville are you in? I am in Morganton, but used to work in Asheville at Volvo Construction on Hwy 25. Just curious. Also, let me know the prices and how your cars turn out! Thanks, and keep the roads hot!:thumbsup: :cool:

Big Daddy
08-22-2003, 11:31 PM
I live in North Asheville off of Merrimon by Beaver Lake. I'll post the results next weekend. Take care! :D :thumbsup:

02WS6
08-25-2003, 11:45 AM
Brand new Dyno Jet. Myself and another member will be getting our cars dynoed there next Friday afternoon. :D :D

I guess that you were the two guys that the lady said she had scheduled.

Big Daddy
08-25-2003, 08:39 PM
That would be us!! But I don't think Isaac is going to make it now because of work. BUT I am going I have to know now if the dyno that True Blue uses is off what they are saying (30-40rwhp LOW)!

94venom
08-25-2003, 11:18 PM
True Blue?? What and where is that dyno? I have never been around a dyno, how could it be that far off on hp? Just curious...:doubt:

02WS6
08-26-2003, 10:58 AM
That would be us!! But I don't think Isaac is going to make it now because of work. BUT I am going I have to know now if the dyno that True Blue uses is off what they are saying (30-40rwhp LOW)!

True Blue Proformance in Benson, NC? Don't they use a dynojet too? Seems weird to me that it would be off that much. You will have to post your results. I am intrested in if this is true or not. Of course the guys at True Blue seem to have several high performing cars frequenting thier dyno. It might need a little calibrating. ;)

Big Daddy
08-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 94venom
True Blue?? What and where is that dyno? I have never been around a dyno, how could it be that far off on hp? Just curious...:doubt:

True Blue is in Benson, NC and they don't have use of the dyno that is in there shop right now (LONG story), so they are using Turbo Tune in Greensboro, NC. They have told myself and Isaac Price that the dyno there seems to be 30 to 40 hp low on it's readings. I personally don't believe it so I'm taking it to a NEW dyno to see what kind of numbers I put down. I suppose a dyno can get out of calibration but I don't really know how! :doubt: :doubt:

02WS6
08-26-2003, 11:43 AM
True Blue is in Benson, NC and they don't have use of the dyno that is in there shop right now (LONG story), so they are using Turbo Tune in Greensboro, NC. They have told myself and Isaac Price that the dyno there seems to be 30 to 40 hp low on it's readings. I personally don't believe it so I'm taking it to a NEW dyno to see what kind of numbers I put down. I suppose a dyno can get out of calibration but I don't really know how! :doubt: :doubt:

interpretive software, drum speed indicator, or user error (i.e. not pushing the pedal all the way down) :D ;) Chassis Dynos work in a very simple fashion as you know. Accerlate a known mass as quickly as you can... So the "speedo", if you will, on the drum may be out of whack or the software may be for a different drum weight or something like that.... should be a one time fix. Not really an on going calibration routine. Either way I agree with you that there shouldn't be that big of a difference between two dynos of the same type. Let us know what you find out. I am curious...

94venom
08-31-2003, 11:50 PM
Big Daddy, did you get to go to the dyno? If so, we are anxious to hear how it all went....especially your numbers....02ws6 and I are planning on going sometime soon......:bounce:

Big Daddy
09-01-2003, 12:12 AM
Well it was 80 degree's with 80% humidity and I put down 496.6 RWHP and 464.9 rwtq so for a hot and humid day I would say that Turbo Tune's dyno is right on! :D :thumbsup: I did discover that my belt is slipping and I'm only making about 10 lbs of boost when I should be making about 14-16 lbs so I need to get the tensioner checked and maybe a smaller belt. Once that is done I'll see if I get the boost I should be making. The extra boost should be good for a few more ponies! :D ;) :thumbsup:

02WS6
09-02-2003, 09:54 AM
Sweet numbers man! :thumbsup: 94venom and I are still debating about which dyno we are going to visit. I think that there is one in taylorsville (closest to both of us) but it would be nice to spin the newest dyno in the land. Thanks for sharing.

94venom
09-02-2003, 10:11 AM
Big Daddy, those are some awesome numbers!! have you ever tried the dyno in taylorsville? or do you know anyone who has? just wondering how accurate it is......:cool: :D :

Big Daddy
09-02-2003, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys! I didn't know there was one in Taylorsville, what is the name of the shop?? I'm going back to True Blue in Benson this Friday to replace the tensioner and check the belt. Then we are going up to Turbo Tune in Greensboro for another tune...got to make sure that the A/F ratio is safe with the extra boost....AND see what kind of numbers she puts down when the belt doesn't slip! :D :thumbsup:

94venom
09-02-2003, 11:28 PM
here is the info for the one in Taylorsville:
Hoyt Auto Sales
538 W. Main Ave
Taylorsville, NC 28681
Phone #: 1-828-632-9689

I haven't called them to find out much, but I do know that they have a dynojet.:rotf:

94venom
09-13-2003, 12:14 AM
well, 02ws6 and i are heading to the dyno in asheville tomorrow morning to see what we can find out. we will post the results soon. big daddy, if you see this, we will be at the one in enka/candler at 11:00am. that is when our appointment is set. if you are able and want to, come by and hang out for a minute or two.:getsome:

94venom
09-13-2003, 08:55 PM
this morning it was 82 degrees, barometric pressure of 28.08, and vapor pressure of 0.37.......my numbers weren't quite what i was hoping for, but with the car being 10 years old and with 166K miles on it, i will take them. i put down 232.2rwhp and 267.5 ft/lb of torque. i didn't think that was too bad considering what little has actually been done to the power train. my next question(s) are: would it be worth my while to switch to long tube headers? the guy (doug) at the shop thought it would. next, what is my next step to get to atleast 300rwhp? intakes? heads? cam?:D :thumbsup:
thanks in advance

Big Daddy
09-14-2003, 06:29 AM
Sorry I missed you guys but we are at Auto Fair in Charlotte.

As far as numbers go, long tubes will help ALOT! But with the miles you have on the car I don't know if you can hit 300 rwhp without some serious work. Maybe some of the 5.0 guys will chime in.

BTW check out my sig for my newest dyno numbers. :D

02WS6
09-15-2003, 08:45 AM
Hey guys... Just wanted to chime in and let you guys know the numbers on my T/A. Keeping in mind that my car is a bone stock 2002 WS6 6-speed, (only mods are tinted windows and Mobil 1 synth... neither of which will show any noticable performance gains) my car pulled 296.4 Hp and 311 lb/ft at BRA in Asheville. I had a little blip at the end of my second pull. The Hp jumped up to 299.8..... But I don't think that counts, I clutched a tad bit early. Either way it ain't enough to argue about. 94venom and I had a great time at the dyno. His car runs strong esp. with the new 3.73's in the rear. He scared me once on I-40 from about a 15 roll. I thought he may have had me beat.... until I hit 2nd anyway. :D Still I thought his would have pulled better numbers. :(

BigDaddy... sorry that we missed you. How was the show? I was going to see if I could make it to charlotte this weekend for the auto fair but I didn't make it.

94venom
09-15-2003, 02:43 PM
when you say serious work, are you talking about a rebuild? if so, to 331 cu. in. or 347, or stay small like 306 size? if so, what kind of internals? i 'preciate the info. :thumbsup:

NO 5 OH
09-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by 94venom
here is the info for the one in Taylorsville:
Hoyt Auto Sales
538 W. Main Ave
Taylorsville, NC 28681
Phone #: 1-828-632-9689

I haven't called them to find out much, but I do know that they have a dynojet.:rotf:

Man... I need to come in the 5.0L forum more often. I'd been able to have helped out on this a bit sooner.

Anyways... the name of the shop is "Hoyle's Auto Sales" and it is in Taylorsville. Darrin bought the dyno to tune his race cars with (lots and lots of low ET big block Chevys in his place) but he does let you come in and make pulls on his dyno for a nominal fee. Prices are:

$50 for three pulls, no A/F
$75 for three pulls, with A/F
$100 per hour

Darin is the owner, and definitely a top notch guy. His place is where my SVO has been all three times it's been on the dyno. Last time there at the end of June it put down 332 rwhp/344 rwtq on basically a stock 2.3L with a bunch of bolt ons. If you guys are in Morganton then you should come on down to Hickory and meet up with me and itsrlong sometime soon. Both my cars are currently out of commission but I'm more than willing to shoot the bull or lend a helping hand in wrenching on cars... with somewhat limited knowledge that is ;)

If you want to get ahold of me pm me for a number and I'll get back to ya.

Shannon