PDA

View Full Version : 99 cobra has valve train noise

detroitcobra
08-13-2003, 10:20 PM
under rev up it has noise on the drivers side valve train what the best way to fix this and the cheapest

cobrabitn
08-14-2003, 11:01 AM
If you do not know how to fix it then I would let a professional do it as it can be very complicated. Most likely, it is a chain gear but if your car is still under warranty, take it in and have a competent dealership look at it. JMHO...

detroitcobra
08-14-2003, 02:34 PM
how can you check the chain gears for wear on this car

cobrabitn
08-15-2003, 12:31 PM
I'm not qualified to answer that so that is why I suggested having it looked at. I wouldn't even want to begin to open one of these babies up! :)

steve
08-15-2003, 09:39 PM
I Have a 99 cobra and it makes a little tapping ,but only on start-up after it hasn't been driven for a week. Bob cosby says his 11sec naturally asp cobra does the same, but only on initial start-up. Make sure you get the car back to as stock as possible or ford will try to void your warranty. Read my t-45 threads and you will know what I'm talking about. Later:bounce:

Racer_726
08-17-2003, 10:34 PM
The "lash adjusters" are hydraulic, and they'll make a racket if the're not pumped up.

Keep the oil level at least a 1/2 quart overfilled as well.

Mine was a little noisy like that when I first bought it... then it went away sometime around when I went to 10W30 Red Line oil from the 5W whatever, around 30,000 miles... not sure why.

After a run at the auto-X, when I start it back up, it will do it for a few seconds after startup, but only if the oil is not overserviced.

It's not a terrible noise... like a lifter needs to be loosened up or pumped up noise.

It never hurts to remove the valve cover and take a look... if you're even slightly mechanically inclined. If not, take it to someone who is.

Some race motors, especially with bigger cams, are known to break valve springs on a regular basis.... not on stock street cars that I know of.

Dave

steve
08-18-2003, 02:17 AM
Dave,don't ever overfill the oil level half a quart unless you have a deep sump oil pan. According to SVT literature, if you overfill your motor 1/2 quart it could possibly cause some damage. I don't even add oil until it's a quart down. The maintenance guide says don't add oil unless it's below or at the min mark. If the level falls between max and min your not supposed to add oil. Overfilling a 1/2 quart will possbly damage the motor more than being low on oil. One time after I first bought the car and switched to synthetic I didn't check the oil for a couple months, because I didn't know that these modulars burn a little oil. I have a honda that doesn't burn any oil between oil changes, so I just assumed this cobra motor wouldn't either. I was wrong,by the time I checked it it was almost 2 quarts down. Luckily I was using synthetic and hopefully didn't damage anything. Thank God the cobra comes with a 6 quart oilpan and not a 5. They do that to make sure you always have extra oil in the pan, and plus this motor revs to 7,000 unlike the GT'S 6'000. Later:rolleyes:

detroitcobra
08-18-2003, 09:20 AM
i tried to take off the driver side valve cover but didnt have much luck it seems to be hanging up on the hydra booster for the brakes has anyone taken this cover off before is there a special trick to doing it or does the booster and brake resivour have to come off too i really need some help here fellows i spent all my money for school on this car and got to fix it asap thanks:(

detroitcobra
09-01-2003, 11:13 PM
well guys it wasnt the valve train afterall it was a rod knock in the engine so i droped the pan and put in new rod bearings and now the noise is gone