PDA

View Full Version : This is AWESOME!!!!!

johnbasf
08-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Hi Folks,
This news is official and for dissemination to anyone that will listen.
First the bad news--the American Iron series event Oct. 4th and 5th at Watkins Glen has been canceled. The good news is that we will be running the FULL course at VIR with the Grand Am series the same weekend.
Needless to say this is a tremendous opportunity for the racers and for the series in general. We have a potential deal in the works to televise our race though many issues need to be resolved (read money). This is of course a spectator event and we will be in the company of full time racers running in a national pro series.
I will provide some details here and more in the future. This was just dropped in my lap 48 hours ago and there is much work to be done. This will actually be a 3 day weekend. We will have two 30 minute practice sessions on Friday, one 50 minute practice/qualifying session on Saturday and a one hour, 15 minute "race block" on Sunday. I am planning on running two 25-30 minute races punctuated by a 15 minute "intermission" (similar to the Australian Touring car series format). This intermission will allow the cars to enter the pits to refuel and fix BROKEN parts (no tires except those damaged due to material failure or contact). Cars will be restricted to the hot pits and no one will be allowed in the paddock area. This is the current plan. I still need to get the track to O.K. it but preliminary discussions look promising.
By now I am sure that you are wondering about cost. Let me preface that answer with a few facts. The Glen was going to cost roughly $370.00 for Saturday and Sunday with Friday being optional for additional $150.00 for a total 3 day package costing $520.00. VIR-- If we draw 35 cars the cost will be $550.00 if we get 45+ cars, it will be $500.00. I am confident of the latter number. The Virginia region alone will provide 25 cars, Ohio/Indiana 15 cars and I have a preliminary commitment from the West coast for 7 cars. This does not include the new Texas AI region, HSR guys from Atlanta that were to run The Glen with us nor any guest players that will surely come out and play for an event of this magnitude.
Gentleman, $500.00 is certainly a significant sum but the return could be enormous. Obviously there is a tremendous amount of track time available coupled with great exposure and the obvious benefit of being able to run the full course at VIR.
For the American Iron series this could be the break we have been waiting for. I am currently searching for a sponsor to absorb production cost for filming. The TV crews will be there anyway filming the Grand Am race. I am also searching for a title race sponsor to provide a race purse.
The bottom line is that our series could benefit from your participation in this event. It will be a great weekend. We will have a cookout and promote a family atmosphere. You want your wife, children and significant others there anyway as a pit crew!!!!
The only catch is that I must have your answer in 2 weeks. You need to register on the NASA VA website (www.nasaracing.net) by midnight August 29th. I need this to lock in the price and to give VIR a formal car count. I know this is tight but the race is a mere 7 weeks away.
While I realize this may prompt more questions then it answers, I would prefer to answer those questions on a case by case basis. Feel free to drop me a line at this e-mail or raceai@cs.com. Call me at 757-561-1110 (cell) or 757-220-0410 (home).
Finally, much thanks to Chris Cobetto and his NASA Va. gang. They are working hard to make this event all it can be.
Dust those cars off and break open the piggy banks. This is going to be awesome!!
Best Regards,
Dan Schlickenmeyer
Director, AI East

HistoricMustang
08-16-2003, 02:51 PM
I am in and boy what an adventure this is going to be. I was fortunate enough to do some of the support races down at the Sebring 12 hour events with 100,000 people running around and this will take American Iron to another level. What fun.

Heck, one of them funny speaking Grand Am drivers might get stomach cramps and ask me to drive in his place.......................Do not laugh you younger "wipper snappers". I am too old but you better believe they will be watching our group for a potential up and comer or two.

Henry
AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

redsnake99
08-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Great news, John. I already have spectator tickets for that weekend at VIR. I'll see if I can scare up some sponsor money (no promises).

:bounce: :bounce:

johnbasf
08-16-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by redsnake99
Great news, John. I already have spectator tickets for that weekend at VIR. I'll see if I can scare up some sponsor money (no promises).

Sponsor $ for the #42 :D :D :D

Phat-S
08-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Sponsor $ for the #42

Indeed, please throw some sponsorship $$ to the #42.

Guys, I am very excited for you and very much hope this comes to fruition. I would think just the experience of running a support race in this environment would be a tremendous blast and if the tv coverage happens as well ... needless to say, I'll be recording that for sure. Best of luck guys!

Oh ... that purpley-looking #42!

Dean95CobraR
08-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Should be a great time!:thumbsup:

You east coast boys sure do have it made this time. Close to home and a familier track. :tongue:

johnbasf
08-18-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Dean95CobraR
Should be a great time!:thumbsup:

You east coast boys sure do have it made this time. Close to home and a familier track. :tongue:

You have ALWAYS wanted to do Full Course!!! You can do it in front of a big crowd now.:eek: :eek:

Dean95CobraR
08-18-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
You have ALWAYS wanted to do Full Course!!! You can do it in front of a big crowd now.:eek: :eek:

Any good videos of full course available?:)

svt_coupe
08-18-2003, 04:51 PM
I have never run VIR full course. Not even once.

johnbasf
08-18-2003, 05:39 PM
One from Pat Olsen in his Subaru, http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Video%20clips/VIR%20April%202001/My%20clips/

johnbasf
08-18-2003, 05:41 PM
http://slobird.com/movies/vir1.wmv Tim's ZO-6

Dean95CobraR
08-18-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by svt_coupe

So twice then? ;)

Dean95CobraR
08-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
One from Pat Olsen in his Subaru, http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Video%20clips/VIR%20April%202001/My%20clips/

Thanks John!

I'll have to wait till I get to work to download this one!:eek:

kevin
08-18-2003, 11:30 PM
wish i could come play:(

Dean95CobraR
08-18-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by kevin
wish i could come play:(

Just load up the Shelby and head east. :D

racercosmo
08-19-2003, 12:10 AM
The truck is on the way to you East Coasters (emphasis on Coasters), 5 days until you get your first taste of Team Griggs West. This is just a small dose of what is to be expected in October. I will provide liquid refreshment if we don't post the fast AI time on Sunday.

Does anybody know what the $1 beer is this month at Vinnie's?

svt_coupe
08-19-2003, 10:03 AM
For all the smack talking that goes on, I for one can't wait for the G boys to show up. I think that's great you guys are sending some cars this way. I don't think Lowes will disappoint - it's a fast (average spd = 100mph+). I commend you guys for making the trek East.

So Cos... how in the @#$% do you know about Vinnie's??!?

Bryan

PS. It's probably... drum roll... MILLER LITE!

svt_coupe
08-19-2003, 10:06 AM
So twice then? ;)

LOL!! Dean... you making the trek to VIR in Oct or what?? I'd love to run door-to-door with you again.

kevin
08-19-2003, 11:11 AM
Just load up the Shelby and head east. :D

wish i could. october is wedding month for too many people we know. we'll be traveling just about the whole month for those:(

Dean95CobraR
08-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by svt_coupe
LOL!! Dean... you making the trek to VIR in Oct or what?? I'd love to run door-to-door with you again.

Oh yeah! I wouldn't miss it for anything. Beaverun was just too much fun to not do that again.:thumbsup: As a great racer that I know once said - "It was a hoot!" :D ;)

I'm going to try and get the hillbilly (aka Steve) to join us. I've got first dibs on him as crew chief though. ;)

Dean95CobraR
08-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by kevin
wish i could. october is wedding month for too many people we know. we'll be traveling just about the whole month for those:(

:( Guess I won't get to see you this year. :(

When are you going to get your priorities straight?;)

mwilson7
08-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Would it be possible for you front runners to just slow down a little bit so that I may at least THINK I have a chance of catching you!!!!

I've got a smack slogan to put on the back of the R! You'll have to wait till Beaverun to see what it says!!!

timz06
08-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Wow you guys are going to have a great time at VIR , the full course is the best I have done. I have about 2 hours of video, and will post some more if it will help you guys study the track a bit. I wish I could be out there with you, I am thinking about getting my 95 camaro ready to run next year in AI but it is still in the preliminary stages! Take it easy on the chevy boys!

Tim

98banana
08-23-2003, 06:38 AM
Any good videos of full course available?:)

Dean, here's a video of full course...

http://www.planetmustang.com/Movies/VIR/VIR-Viper.wmv

kevin
08-23-2003, 10:10 PM
:( Guess I won't get to see you this year. :(

When are you going to get your priorities straight?;)

dang. i thot i had:eek:

however, if you east coasters get full vir on your schedule for next year (posted, like, say this year) so i can plan. i'll be there to spank all y'all (starting the smack cause i can get away with it:D ) (this year):thumbsup:

wildhorsesracin
08-31-2003, 08:53 AM
svt_coupe posted:

Me neither :D - I have never run "the full course" at VIR - :D

I can't wait... :thumbsup:

wreckm
08-31-2003, 10:17 AM
Okay, who is sandbagging about the full course besides Shuggybutt.I know that some of you long time racers have had the chance to see it before.It is going to be a blast! Not only are you going to have to be really fast but also save the car for the the last half. Alan told me that he remembers riding the full in a white svt coupe a couple of years ago.

97whitevert
08-31-2003, 07:35 PM
Oh yeah! I wouldn't miss it for anything. Beaverun was just too much fun to not do that again.:thumbsup: As a great racer that I know once said - "It was a hoot!" :D ;)

I'm going to try and get the hillbilly (aka Steve) to join us. I've got first dibs on him as crew chief though. ;)

Ok then is the hillbilly gonna do the grilling????:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

redsnake99
09-01-2003, 08:33 AM
Full course at VIR beats any other course I have run. The top speeds (145 for me) get a bit scary for an amateur, but the pros don't even think about it. It's over 3 miles long, all kinds of turns from tight to fast. Lot's of places to screw up, most without tire walls or guardrails too close.

Running South course or North course is pretty tame compared to full course. If you haven't tried it, make the effort to get there. If SCMC isn't there, there's always NASA, BMW and Porsche clubs, etc.

HistoricMustang
09-01-2003, 08:29 PM
Hey, have done the full course several times. Perhaps this is going to be MY weekend! Going up the frontside is unreal and the turn after the tree and heading down the backstretch is where you got to suck 'em up. It is kinda like Lowes.

Before the weekend is over you will hold full throttle up over the top and take a left before braking.

What fun this is going to be.

Henry