PDA

View Full Version : cam choice

laserred
08-16-2003, 10:42 PM
:eek: I CURRENTLY HAVE A 98 SNAKE WITH BASICALLY STOCK ENGINE, ALONG WITH THE COMMON BOLT ONS, PULLEYS, COLD AIR INTAKE, ALUMINUM D.S.,GEARS,CHIP,SPRINGS,SHIFTER AND EXHAUST WITHOUT CATS. I HAVE HEARD A LITTLE ABOUT CROWLER CAMS. I HAVE CONSIDERED BUYING THEM AT AROUND 700$, ALONG WITH VALVE SPRINGS AND ROCKER ARMS, WHICH ARE EXTRA. I WOULD LOVE NOTHING MORE THAN TO CRANK UP THE BABY AND HEAR THEM CAMS LOBBING, BUT WILL IT BE WORTH THE WORK AND $. ALSO, CAN I GET A SIGNIFICANT POWER INCREASE WITH THE CAMS AND COMPONENTS. OR WILL NEED TO GO FURTHER AND GET ANOTHER CHIP TO BETTER THE POWER?

tcrews
08-17-2003, 11:22 AM
It's a very expensive undertaking to have cams installed plus you won't see a lot of gains unless you have some head work done as well. Still, even with some head porting and cams don't expect a huge increase in power.

Most I've seen on cammed NA cars is around 350 or so rwhp (that's cams, ported heads, ported intakes, full bolt ons and dyno tuned). To make more you have to raised the compression ratio, spin the engine higher and/or stroke / bore the engine out.

I don't think it's worth it. I have cams on my '97 Cobra only because I had the engine out and getting a rebuild.

boostedstang
08-31-2003, 12:47 AM
Put a turbo on it.:thumbsup: