PDA

View Full Version : last minute TWS tips - PLEASE READ!!

Andy M
08-18-2003, 10:33 PM
Folks,

just a few last minute things to remember... I know I'm gonna sound like a broken record, but humor me please???...

1) PLEASE check your brake fluid and pads... I helped Shane with his Cobra today, and his front pads were worn down really bad, so we went to Autozone and got some carbon metallic Performance Frictions ($60.00) and also used up an entire liter of brake fluid (DOT 3) getting all the debris out of his lines... he now has some serious braking power and will be able to enjoy his weekend in his car without worrying about how he is going to stop!! I CANNOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH HOW IMPORTANT YOUR BRAKES ARE!!!!!!!!!!

2) tires - please don't come with bald tires... I don't want to have to disqualify you for having bald tires... don't make me do it please?!!!

3) check all your other fluid levels... engine oil, water/coolant levels, differential, tranny, etc...

4) bring an ice chest with LOTS of water, gatorade, or whatever your thirst quencher is?... I usually drink at least a gallon or two of water and gatorade PER DAY when I am at the track... it will be painfully hot and we do not want anyone passing out of heat exhaustion!!

5) clothing - we will be enforcing the long pants rule very strictly.. and I recommend a long sleeve shirt for while you are on the track only... then you can remove it and use a tank top/Tshirt or whatever when you get out of the car...

6) sunscreen - bring sunscreen pls... you will need it!!!

7) hat/cap - bring a wide brim hat or cap for when you are out and about running around the paddocks... to keep your nose from getting all "crispy"

8) food - bring along some energy bar and/or fresh fruit snacks.. they are wonderful for keeping your energy (and alertness) up and fresh fruits are also full of fluids that your body will need in this heat!!

9) camera/camcorder - be sure to bring along a camera and/or camcorder if you own one... we can always use more photos of the group... you can NEVER have too many pics!!

10) helmet - don't forget your helmet if you've got one... although we will have a few for rental from the track, there may not be enough to go around.. so if you've purchased one, and/or you can borrow one, please do so and don't leave it at home!!

11) instructors - for those of you who are virgins at this, you will have an instructor riding with you... PLEASE show them some respect by listening when they make recommendations?! These guys are all seasoned and some of them have years of open track experience. You would be wise to listen up when they are giving you some guidance. They are there to help you learn and most of all to keep you and the others on the track SAFE! You paid to be here and to have them instruct you... so use it wisely!

lastly... please try to get a decent night's sleep on Friday evening... and if you do have some alcholic beverages.. you should try to stop drinking AT LEAST 8 hours before you hit the track.. at a minimum!! so, for us that means no drinking after midnight on Friday and Saturday... trust me, you do not want to be hung over in this heat!!! you will wish you were dead!!

You first timers are in for the time of your life!! This stuff is a ton of fun! I have been doing this regularly for nearly two years now, and have enjoyed every minute. I have had more fun doing this open track thing in the R than ANY other hobby/sport I have ever done - in my entire lifetime!! That is no BS I assure you...

However, we have to understand that there IS a certain amount of risk involved and we need to respect our brothers/sisters/friends out there with us... let's be courteous and stay safe and we will all have a ton of fun!

Thanks for letting me rant... see you guys (some of you) on Friday at the Chevron station at 4pm.

Carl G
08-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Andy,

thanks for the advice and I plan to use it well. One question. I went to 4 autozones over the weekend and they did not have any performance friction pads.What autozone did you use?I had to order over by e-mail today and have overnight shipment to get here to install by thursday. Will it hurt to have dot 4 fluid mixed with the factory fluid that is in the car now. It is full and looks clean. I bought a large amount of the dot 4 at pep boys with the water wetters.

Andy M
08-18-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Carl G
Andy,

thanks for the advice and I plan to use it well. One question. I went to 4 autozones over the weekend and they did not have any performance friction pads.What autozone did you use?I had to order over by e-mail today and have overnight shipment to get here to install by thursday. Will it hurt to have dot 4 fluid mixed with the factory fluid that is in the car now. It is full and looks clean. I bought a large amount of the dot 4 at pep boys with the water wetters. We got the PF pads at the Autozone just south of West Little York on Hwy 6... it is about a mile south of little york on the left as you head south...

I think he paid around $60.00 or so for the carbon metallic PF pads for the front.. that is for entire set, ie: both sides...

Andy M
08-18-2003, 11:34 PM
Andy,

thanks for the advice and I plan to use it well. One question. I went to 4 autozones over the weekend and they did not have any performance friction pads.What autozone did you use?I had to order over by e-mail today and have overnight shipment to get here to install by thursday. Will it hurt to have dot 4 fluid mixed with the factory fluid that is in the car now. It is full and looks clean. I bought a large amount of the dot 4 at pep boys with the water wetters. Carl,

your car is still pretty new, so your fluid is likely still in great shape.. it is usually ok to mix DOT3 and DOT4 if and only if the label on the DOT4 bottle says so.. which most of them do.

how do your pads look?? if you have at least half of the pads left, just make sure to bring along a new set just in case you wear them down during the weekend and we need to change them? I will have my full rig out there so we will have the tools to do that in case you need it?... we did Shane's car in no time... piece of cake when you have the right tools!

SNAKE EYES
08-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Will the concession stand at the track be open for a quick burger and drinks?

Jim

Andy M
08-20-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by SNAKE EYES
Will the concession stand at the track be open for a quick burger and drinks?

Jim Yep!! They serve good ol' Texas sized "greasy" burgers!!!

johnbasf
08-20-2003, 07:15 PM
Great list Andy!! :thumbsup:

Carl G
08-20-2003, 11:01 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Got my brakes in today and will have them put on tomorrow. I think that just about gets this show on the road. I am really looking forward to this.

olchakla
08-21-2003, 03:17 PM
I was up till 1am Wed night finishing my brake upgrade. I didn't want a repeat of brake failure like I had at Hallett in Tulsa in May.

I installed Powerslot Power rotors, Hawk HP Plus pads, stainless steel front lines, and flushed out the Motul fluid with Ford Hi perf brake fluid.

The drive down from Dallas to CS should get them bedded for this weekend.

Be interested to see what you other 03 Cobra's have done to upgrade your brake systems. 15,000 miles and its my 4th set of pads for the front ( the 3rd was put in 2 weeks ago, and went from Hawk HP to the HP plus for this weekend) Rear pads are the 3rd, 2nd set still had lots of life but wanted HP Plus over the HP.

See you all soon.

olchakla
08-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Andy M
We got the PF pads at the Autozone just south of West Little York on Hwy 6... it is about a mile south of little york on the left as you head south...

I think he paid around $60.00 or so for the carbon metallic PF pads for the front.. that is for entire set, ie: both sides...

I had to replace the Hawk Hp pads in the front after 3 months and got the PFC Z rated pads from Autozone. They didnt have them listed under 2003, but you can get them under 2001. They use the same type, noticed that when I ordered my Hawks.

I do have to say that after 1 week I pulled the PFC out and put Hawk pads back in. They just dont stop as good. I hated lossing the lifetime warranty, every 3 months I would have been getting new pads.

If anyone cares to, I still have the front Hawk HP pads from the front and they only have 2 weeks use on them. You could try them out and copmpare to the PFC, your notice the difference.

Any track dogs going to be at this event that would be towing and would have jacking tools to borrow and could swap brake pads?

Bring extra brake fluid. Up at Hallet, there was another 03 CObra that had 11,000 miles also and his brakes were failing. The brake fluid would go bad and your pedal would then sink to the floor. We had both had out brake fluid flushed and refilled and it was hard locating the high temp fluid at an auto parts store.

Brothers Performance had the Ford fluid for $6.95. Tire Rack has a good inventory but have noticed they sell higher. I was able to get new Powerslot rotors from Lone Start Performance for $30 cheaper than Tire Rack. Unfortunately Lone Star didnt have the front rotors and I had to but them from Tire Rack.

Carl G
08-21-2003, 03:33 PM
Hey, just had my brakes put on. Had performance friction Z's on the front and Hawks on the rear. they say they dont make a set from performance friction for the rear. Anyway it feels good. Our cars are set up very simular. Mine has 459 Hp rear wheels with 480 ft lbs . Look forward to seeing youat the track.

olchakla
08-21-2003, 04:08 PM
I spent alot of time on the phone with tech support with both PFC Performance Friction Corp and Hawk, plus the distributor that PFC steered me to for their pads. They told me that the PFC Z rated might be not as agreesive for the 03 cobra since they aare pushing all the power, not the case as with the 01 cobra. They suggested using a 90 compound pad all around for daily driving and some track, and put the 01 compound in the front for wild track runs. They gave me the part numbers but the distributor said they dont make them.

I was planning on installing Hawk Blues for the weekend and going back to HP, but was steered away by Hawk tech support. Said those pads should only be run on the track and not elsewhere, takes them a bit to warm up for braking. Will see how the Hawk HP Plus works.

I do agree that the Hawks are not rotor freindly, they do eat them up, but they sure stop the beast great.

Had installed the Nitto Extreme performance II when the Eagles were gone. Solved the hopping problem, but didn't like the cornering ability, felt like I was riding in a waterbed, too mushy in the corners.

Hey, just had my brakes put on. Had performance friction Z's on the front and Hawks on the rear. they say they dont make a set from performance friction for the rear. Anyway it feels good. Our cars are set up very simular. Mine has 459 Hp rear wheels with 480 ft lbs . Look forward to seeing youat the track.

Andy M
08-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by olchakla
I had to replace the Hawk Hp pads in the front after 3 months and got the PFC Z rated pads from Autozone. They didnt have them listed under 2003, but you can get them under 2001. They use the same type, noticed that when I ordered my Hawks.

I do have to say that after 1 week I pulled the PFC out and put Hawk pads back in. They just dont stop as good. I hated lossing the lifetime warranty, every 3 months I would have been getting new pads.

If anyone cares to, I still have the front Hawk HP pads from the front and they only have 2 weeks use on them. You could try them out and copmpare to the PFC, your notice the difference.

Any track dogs going to be at this event that would be towing and would have jacking tools to borrow and could swap brake pads?

Bring extra brake fluid. Up at Hallet, there was another 03 CObra that had 11,000 miles also and his brakes were failing. The brake fluid would go bad and your pedal would then sink to the floor. We had both had out brake fluid flushed and refilled and it was hard locating the high temp fluid at an auto parts store.

Brothers Performance had the Ford fluid for $6.95. Tire Rack has a good inventory but have noticed they sell higher. I was able to get new Powerslot rotors from Lone Start Performance for $30 cheaper than Tire Rack. Unfortunately Lone Star didnt have the front rotors and I had to but them from Tire Rack.

Can't speak for the PF vs. Hawk pads in street/high performance compounds... BUT I can tell you this... The PF 01 pads will stop the crap out of your car in a heart beat!!! :eek: :eek: I use 01's in front and 90's on the rear and the thing would send you through the windshield if it were not for the 5 point harnesses!

By the way, I will have my garage spot all sorted out with my jack, jackstands, and even my new Dewalt cordless impact tool... you are welcomed to come by and use them if you'd like?...

See you at the track!!!

olchakla
08-21-2003, 04:31 PM
I would like to get the part numbers for your pad setup and where you bought them. I heard that the PFC are more rotor friendly and wanted to go with PFC. I was pointed to Porterfield I think and the numbers PFC gave me to order the compounds you have didnt hit as good.

We sure can talk shop and check out our cars this weekend.

Can't speak for the PF vs. Hawk pads in street/high performance compounds... BUT I can tell you this... The PF 01 pads will stop the crap out of your car in a heart beat!!! :eek: :eek: I use 01's in front and 90's on the rear and the thing would send you through the windshield if it were not for the 5 point harnesses!

By the way, I will have my garage spot all sorted out with my jack, jackstands, and even my new Dewalt cordless impact tool... you are welcomed to come by and use them if you'd like?...

See you at the track!!!

Andy M
08-21-2003, 06:06 PM
By the way, when exactly in May were you at Hallet??? A bunch of us were there for the Porsche Club Mayfast event the first weekend in May.... were you there for that one?? or another event?

I love Hallet!! My favorite track out of all the ones I've been to!

Isn't "The B.I.T.C.H" totally a blast???? ;) I come flying through there in 4th gear and downshift to 2nd for the last turn there... Boy, what a rush!! That track sure is hard on brakes though!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Joe Johnson had one of his original equipment (one piece) solid rotors explode on him coming into turn 2 (The Stop Sign) over there... that is when I decided to upgrade to the two piece floating rotors...

Andy M
08-22-2003, 07:34 AM
Folks,

here is the weather forecast for the track..

looks like 60% today and 50% on Saturday and 30% on Sunday...

http://www.weather.com/weather/local/USTX0270?lswe=College+Station%2C+Texas&lswa=WeatherLocalUndeclared&whatprefs=

we just need to pray to the rain gods to spare the real estate that is TWS?!!!! at least until late Sunday?????:(

olchakla
08-22-2003, 09:31 AM
I did the SVTOA Thunder in the Southwest May 10/11. Tornadoes had hit OK and the hotel we were statying in had almost been evacuated when tornadoes were touching down 15 miles away. I pulled my car under the front lobby overhang to prevent any hail damage.

We lucked out, Friday night the tornadoes and heavy rains, Saturday was perfect and was great. Loved the 35 mile drive from the Hampton Inn to Hallett. Opened the car up and was at 160 and only at 4500 rpm. Wanted to see how it ran and it was smooth.

I went with a drive along Saturday and Sunday my last run I went without the drive along. I lost out another session since I was out of gas and didnt have time to get filled up and back to run. Was really dissapointed so this time I will stay on top of it.

Brake fluid had gone bad on me and Saturday afternoon, 3 of the instructors were great in flushing and refilling with new fluid. This time I got new slotted rotors, up to Hawk HP plus pads, stainless steel front lines, and fresh Ford Hi perf fluid. See how that combo works. I just am dissatisfied with the Nitto Extreme Performance tires, too mushy a ride feel.

I liked the *****, a blast to drift the tires in. Where I had the trouble was the corner past the entry back in, where you go around and then it brings you to the starting point again.

Look for you when I am down there and talk more about Hallet. I am ready to go back to that track some more.

By the way, when exactly in May were you at Hallet??? A bunch of us were there for the Porsche Club Mayfast event the first weekend in May.... were you there for that one?? or another event?

I love Hallet!! My favorite track out of all the ones I've been to!

Isn't "The B.I.T.C.H" totally a blast???? ;) I come flying through there in 4th gear and downshift to 2nd for the last turn there... Boy, what a rush!! That track sure is hard on brakes though!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Joe Johnson had one of his original equipment (one piece) solid rotors explode on him coming into turn 2 (The Stop Sign) over there... that is when I decided to upgrade to the two piece floating rotors...

03 cobra toy
08-22-2003, 10:15 AM
Rain Rain go away ! ! Brakes are done...Thanks Andy... the PF 01's stop GREAT ! Car loaded last night..I'm ready to get the hell out of town !! :thumbsup: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Carl G
08-22-2003, 10:53 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: I have my breaks also the performance friction Z's are great! Have new helmet. I am ready! Look forward to seeing you guys this afternoon! Cobra can't wait either!!!!!!

Andy M
08-22-2003, 03:30 PM
See you guys in a bit... I will be leaving the house at 3 or so...

I still have some things left to do on the car... like bleed the brakes, swap tires, etc... but will get that done tonight at the track.

See you guys later..

Let the games begin!!!!

Bingo13
08-22-2003, 04:56 PM
While on the track stay away from a crazy guy in a Yellow '03 cobra named Coleman. ;) :p :D