PDA

View Full Version : Virus????

johnbasf
08-20-2003, 06:13 PM
Ok you computer people, what do we do?? I have Norton and it's workong hard!!! Can we do anything to stop this crap??? I'm scared to e-mail anybody.

Aaron94
08-20-2003, 09:56 PM
i dont know whats going on, but i am getting like 30 junk/virus mails a day with these pif files. i just delete em, not much else we can do i guess??

Black Snake
08-20-2003, 11:10 PM
Just another reason why I like the board better than the email list.

Spiffy668
08-21-2003, 12:54 AM
All your email are belong to us!!! :rotf:

Aaron94
08-21-2003, 02:15 AM
LOL

Spiffy668
08-21-2003, 11:36 AM
Oh yeah, you wouldn't have any virii (viruses, whetever) if you wouldn't download material from Kazaa and/or Morpheus. Here's a friendly reminder.

:D

Ken 01-Cobra
08-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by johnbasf
Ok you computer people, what do we do?? I have Norton and it's workong hard!!! Can we do anything to stop this crap??? I'm scared to e-mail anybody.
There is no need to fear emailing anyone. Your software is doing it's job, so you probably are not infected. There ain't much you can do other than make sure your virus protection software is up to date and run a personal firewall. Make sure you keep both current.

Ken 01-Cobra
08-21-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Spiffy668
Oh yeah, you wouldn't have any virii (viruses, whetever) if you wouldn't download material from Kazaa and/or Morpheus. Here's a friendly reminder.
:D
Heh...that's pretty good! :thumbsup: :D

STU
08-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Just keep your virus program up to date.

Also keep your windows updates current. There is information posted at the Windows update site about the Blaster Worm.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

tcrews
08-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Yeah the Blaster 'worm' didn't even need to travel through email, it went through open ports on your IP (connection to the internet) without you doing anything other than being connected to the internet. Those with highspeed systems were the easiest to infect because of the connection speed and tendency to leave the system on. Patching your Windows OS is a highly recommended routine to follow. Also adding a nice DSL/Cable router will stop a lot of that type of worms from infecting your system (NAT translation through the router stops them). The other (sobig) goes through email and will spoof email addresses from an infected machine. So.....if a buddy of yours is infected...his computer could be sending out emails to people "spoofing" your email address so it looks like you are sending them out. Makes it a little more difficult to track down who is actually infected or not.

Go to www.mcafee.com and download Stinger.exe, it's free and will remove the 30 most recently released viruses that have been spread around. Patch your Windows OS and update your virus protection programs signature files.

Ken 01-Cobra
08-21-2003, 07:11 PM
To take Tom's advise one step further: even though NAT will stop most stuff doing the port thing, it will not stop viruses or trojans that are attached to other files you run. One thing you can do to help yourself, on top of the two most important things, updated virus files and patched OS files, is run a personal firewall and close ALL ports that are not needed for what you do. Make each program ASK for permission to go to the internet (you might be surprised by other things, like adware, etc. connecting without your knowledge) so you have complete control over what goes out, and when. To top it off, close any ports you will never use on your router for both inbound and outbound traffic, and that will even usually defeat the ones smart enough to overcome your software firewall. Sound like to much protection? There IS no such thing in todays world!

JBejarano
08-21-2003, 07:30 PM
http://www.msnbc.com/news/955498.asp?cp1=1

story about that virus