PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Setup Help

1Red95Snake
08-22-2003, 04:34 PM
What is the best setup to buy for cold air induction and do I need to change my mass air sensor to do this?:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Aaron94
08-25-2003, 12:24 PM
All cold airs are pretty much the same in my opinion. No, you will not need to change the mass air to install one. BBK's unit is pretty inexpensive, and it looks nice. My friend has one on his 95, and the install was pretty easy. You will need to put the filter in from underneath on the fenderwell modelsand thats kind of awkward. Be SURE that the filter is secure, i lost a fenderwell filter on my 91 because it wasent on tight... :eek:

94venom
09-05-2003, 01:45 PM
One addition that I have that has really made a difference is a ram air kit from March that goes on the bottom of your front bumper.....it is relatively inexpensive, and makes a noticeable difference.
:cool:

cobrabitn
09-05-2003, 03:27 PM
As crazy as this sounds.... I think I like my 94 better then my 99 and it's faster, the 99 that is!

I hate to have to sell my toys but one of them has to go for my new upcoming addition soon. ;)

STU
09-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Tony, if you like the 94 now, wait until you put a set of 3.73's on it. Best money I spent on the car. :)

cobrabitn
09-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Dave,

I think if I keep the 94 then I might be able to squeek a third snake in the house if I can do some convincing. Let's see, a 94 to drive to work everyday cause it gets 23 back and forth to work.

A 2004 for the track, and a droptop for the cool days at work. What do you think??;)

And to keep this thing on topic.... I like the looks of the March Ram air but do you have a problem with water getting up in there?:doubt:

1Red95Snake
09-05-2003, 11:09 PM
How do you part with either?? Just take out a loan for the new edition or get a second job!!:thumbsup: :D

I don't think you would have a problem with water making its way up there, even if it did it would be such a small amount that it wouldn't harm anything. In fact, in the early computerized years before they got smart and put the O2 sensors in, you could install a water injection system that stopped pre-detonation and also seemed to add some power.

Mark the Mailman

94venom
09-06-2003, 01:40 PM
i have had the march kit on for close to 6 months, and the area of NC i live in has had an unreal amount of rain this summer.....to ease fears, i have had no problems with rain getting inside the kit. needless to say, the car doesn't move any when we have snow or ice, so i put it under a cover and it stays there. the owners manual for the kit does say not to submerge the scoop under water, but anyone that drives their snake in 6 or more inches of water deserves any problems that they get. :spanked:

cobrabitn
09-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Mark,

It will be hard to part with either one of them because the 99 has history behind it and the 94 is one of the only years with a windsor engine in an SN 95 Cobra. We'll see what happend but if you were going to get a new Cobra, which one would you part with and why?:doubt:

1Red95Snake
09-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by cobrabitn
Mark,

It will be hard to part with either one of them because the 99 has history behind it and the 94 is one of the only years with a windsor engine in an SN 95 Cobra. We'll see what happend but if you were going to get a new Cobra, which one would you part with and why?:doubt:

Tony,

Well, if I had to part with one of the two beauties you have, it would be the 99 simply because the 94 is more of a rarity and will have more collection value down the road. But as I'm sure it is with you, I would have a very difficult time giving up either one! I'm sure you'll make a wise decision based on what is best for you.

1Red95Snake
09-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Aaron94
BBK's unit is pretty inexpensive, and it looks nice.

I took your advise and went with the BBK. :thumbsup:

I also bought new oxygen sensors and am hoping to now be able to bump up my timing to 14 degees without it pinging! With the old ones in at 10 degees on a warm day pulling 3rd or 4th gear hard it would ping BAD!! :mad:

Thanks for the advise!!

Mark The Mailman

jkrkk1
05-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Back to the original topic of the CAI, I am a little confused on how this works. What I mean is, right now my 95 has air that comes from inside the fenderwell, isn't that where the CAI goes as well after it hooks onto the throttle body, or is there more piping below to get air from the front of the car?
thanks and God Bless
jeff

Aaron94
05-24-2004, 05:27 PM
that is where the CAI goes, there is no more piping going lower on a CAI setup. The difference is putting the filter itself in the fender, rather than the engine compartment.

Ram Air setups do have more piping, and scavenge air from under the front bumper, and route it up to the filter.

Hope this helps??

jkrkk1
05-25-2004, 10:34 AM
I guess what I am thinking now, if this is correct, is that you still have the same temperature of air coming into the filter, but since the filter is not located so close to the engine, the air is cooler as it leaves the filter and gets to the throttle body. Is that correct? :thumbsup:
thanks and God Bless

Aaron94
05-25-2004, 12:08 PM
Yes, that is the concept. However, I really don't know how much "cooler" the air is, as engine heat is still heating the inlet tube quite a bit. I am sure the main advantage is gained simply from the Better air filter design. The conical type filter sitting in the fenderwell has a little more open air around it, rather than being constricted in an airbox.