PDA

View Full Version : AI at Lowe's

jbracing
08-24-2003, 10:19 AM
Who's crying and who's flying ? Any results yet ?

Mystic_Cobra
08-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Yeah, John, how'd it go???

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

johnbasf
08-24-2003, 10:31 PM
All I can say is it was a great weekend. Jim Pantas will have the official results up soon on the AI website. I think I was 6th Sat(east) and 4th today(east).

Saturday
East:AI
Shugg
Hoover
Anderson

AIX East:
Lester
Dan Shkickenmeyer

Sunday East results:

Hoover
Stephen Jones
Brian Smith

AIX East: ????

If you are wondering why I say East it's because the Griggs crew was out here with us. Cunningham, Videtto, and Bruce Griggs put on one hell of a display. I'm really not sure of the results so look for them on the Iron site. I can say that the Griggs camp was very impressive!! I also want to say thanks to them for making the trip out East to play with us.

Come on VIR!!!

johnbasf
08-24-2003, 11:08 PM
I had the best race days on track Sunday. Beau Dunnivant and I were trading places two to three times every lap. Unfortunately my zoom on my camera was out tooo far and the video sucked.:( :( I want to thank Beau for the great racing.

wreckm
08-25-2003, 01:36 AM
We just got home! Thanks to everyone for the great friendship and racing all weekend. It really sucked Shugg broke on Sat. I would have liked to see him with the Griggs boyz on Sun. Thanks to them for making the trip!If anyone has the best lap times from Sun, please post them. I did not pick one up. Hey John, Good thing your wife was with you on the way home! The moon was coming out!!!!

2KWhiteSnake
08-25-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by wreckm
We just got home! Thanks to everyone for the great friendship and racing all weekend. It really sucked Shugg broke on Sat. I would have liked to see him with the Griggs boyz on Sun. Thanks to them for making the trip!If anyone has the best lap times from Sun, please post them. I did not pick one up. Hey John, Good thing your wife was with you on the way home! The moon was coming out!!!!

What happened to Shugg? Btw....Great Job Johnny P!

Craig

johnbasf
08-25-2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by 2KWhiteSnake
What happened to Shugg? Btw....Great Job Johnny P!

Craig

Tranny, thanks:D

HistoricMustang
08-25-2003, 08:46 AM
Well the old girl let me down this weekend. Tranny linkage problems on Saturday and no Start on Sunday.

What a great weekend! High banks, great guys from the East and West getting together, NO rain, no major accidents, everybody helping everybody, garages, a few adult beverages and thoughts of returning next year.

My vote for the best event yet!

See you guys/girls at CMP.

Henry
AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

BOC- Beau
08-25-2003, 01:12 PM
John, I had a blast racing with you too. It is nice to know that two guys can race as hard as we were racing, and come away without a scratch. I definitely would not want to be the one to scratch up any of that mystic paint.

Jack Hidley
08-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Shugg's transmission blew 4th gear five laps into the race on Saturday. He still won AI east on Saturday!

He attempted to race the car on Sunday without 4th gear, but quickly lost 1st and 2nd gears also. He ended up "tooling" around the track in 5th and ending up 5th I think.

wildhorsesracin
08-25-2003, 06:03 PM
I think we all had 'gremlins' this past weekend, 3 laps into the race saturday my harmonic balancer let go so I rode around just trying to finish -

FYI - a 351w is one heck of a giant vibrator!!! :eek: :eek:

Once I replaced the balancer I realized the vibration broke the ears off the starter!!! We had to push start me to race on sunday...

Sunday was some awesome racing, clean for the most part, but still some phenomenally close racing for ALL of us...

too bad about shuggy's tranny - schlick's tire - koehler's engine - les's engine - henry's starter - my starter... :(

I can't wait to race with the west coast crew again, it was awesome running with them... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It was good to meet all of them - here is my favorite picture:

http://www.americaniron-east.com/2003Aug23/pantas/cosmojaymm.jpg

(j/k cosmo - it was great meeting all of you!!)

johnbasf
08-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by wreckm

I couldn't believe I DIDN'T see the moon. :rotf: I warned her. :rotf:

wreckm
08-25-2003, 09:30 PM
Good thing I was driving! It would have been a full moon! To Jack, you failed to mention in your attempt to salvage a fifth place finish that He was also a lap and a half down! I wish he would have been there with those boyz more than anyone. We all have to buckle down for VIR. We cant let them have a clean sweep eventhough they are and along with us GRIGGS!!!!! Griggs rules!

Mystic_Cobra
08-26-2003, 09:52 AM
Shugg, I am shopping for a new tranny, too. Maybe we should see if we can get a deal on a pair. I've been trying to keep my shifts down around 6 so I can keep commuting with it. ;)
D&D has a nice upgraded 00 Cobra T45 for sale. John's still trying to convince me to spend more and get a 3550 with a lower (higher) 5th.

svt_coupe
08-26-2003, 10:43 AM
This was a fun weekend. I wish more east coast (I'm including the OH/IN guys) could have been at this event. I think Smeltzer could have given the Griggs contingent a run for their money!

It was AWESOME to see the Griggs Team make the trek across the lower 48 to come rub some fenders with us. I only wish that Cunnigham wasn't late to the grid (and had to start from the back) so that we could have diced a little more on Saturday before I lost 4th gear. Such is life. It was pretty cool to see Hoover right up there with the G cars (as the 3 AI cars lapped me!). I'm looking forward to seeing them again at VIR. Again, great meeting the Griggs crew.

Beau and Pearson put on a great show on Sunday!! They were swapping positions back and forth and racing each other as clean as could be. That was fun to watch for a little while until they walked away from me. You guys looked like you were having too much fun, fellas. GREAT driving.

For the record Jack, I lost 4th gear in Saturday's race, then 3rd gear during qualifying Sunday morning. I opted to start from the back of the pack as I didn't want to get mowed down by a rolling freight train called "American Iron" on the start. Driving around in a 0.68 5th gear was a lesson in momentum. I think I'm gonna start every practice session using only 5th gear from now on (kidding). I learned a TON in that 1 race about carrying speed. I'm just glad I did all of those modifications (aluminum clutch, David Simmons SSR intake, and one hell of a tune!!) to my 281 cu in torque monster motor - I had loads of torque to pull me around the track from as low as 2300rpm at times. It is just amazing what can be done with a mod motor these days and a good tune.

Bost - I may have some good news for you about your tranny. Give me a call or shoot me a PM.

Shugg

PS - was the skinny moon out AGAIN this weekend?!?!

svt_coupe
08-26-2003, 11:01 AM
Oh... I nearly forgot to mention one mod I did. I gapped the spark plugs to 0.032".

rshelbygt
08-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Shugg,

You forgot to mention the Redline Water Wetter and the Synthetic oil....those mods had to make a huge difference. Before you know it you'll be at 10.5:1.......

Sarcasm is a wonderful thing.

wildhorsesracin
08-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Is .032" gap legal in AI? I thought it was only legal in AIX?!?!

If so, then I am dropping down into AI... ;)

rshelbygt
08-26-2003, 01:19 PM
Pantas---you wouldn't have to do too much to be legal for AI, would you???

wildhorsesracin
08-26-2003, 03:39 PM
I think that all I need to do is drop 30-50 hp or add 200-300 lbs... :D

I guess if I put my hatch back on and add the rear bumper back in I should be close... :thumbsup:

justagt
08-26-2003, 04:25 PM
Jim, you could weld up a couple hundred of the holes in the inner fenders.......... with lead.

HistoricMustang
08-26-2003, 06:56 PM
http://www.historicmustang.com/lowes.html

Pretty cool shot of me ahead of the bad guys. Of course they were just about ready to lap me.

Great time at Lowes.

Henry
AIX #97

HistoricMustang
08-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Sorry, could not get it loaded. You got to go here:

www.historicmustang.com/lowes.html

Henry

wildhorsesracin
08-26-2003, 07:07 PM
You can also see Mr Jones AHEAD of ol' Shuggybutt right here:

American Iron East - Website (http://www.americaniron-east.com)

Click on Henry :thumbsup: to see the rest of the pictures... :thumbsup:

COBRA #17
08-26-2003, 08:24 PM
Wow someone had something nice to say about me!!!:eek:

I did run with the G guys for most of the race passing them several times in the infeild , getting on the banking,& onto the back stretch. Guy said to me after the race " Man you had us covered in the infeild dude." I came into one with about 3 laps to go and got a very strange noise after I got on the brakes. So I backed out of it a good bit till I felt the car out. Turns out it was brake hop, some thing my car has never done. Guy and Keith got insome traffic as this happened so I didn't loose much ground. Coming to the white flag I slid through 1 and Beau spun behind me. There was something there but I was catching guy & Keith again. Not bragging just filling in the blanks. I am very proud of all our guys and I think we made a great showing at Lowes.

I want to say how thankful I am to have Jay, Allen, my Dad, & of course AMY helping me and giving suport. Without them I would be watching cartoons and eating junk food! :thumbsup:

GREAT JOB Shugg for hanging in there you are quite the driver !!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HOOV

racercosmo
08-26-2003, 09:10 PM
[i]Originally posted by w
[B]IJim, I was really tring to measure the gap between you and the Griggs cars, but the track didn't have mile markers on it.

Seriously, it was a great weekend, I can't wait to race with you guys again. I do hate the humidity out there, but I'm sure it can't all be Pantas' fault.

johnbasf
08-26-2003, 09:16 PM
I'll say something good about you James. You did a great job this weekend. It was a pleasure to point you buy while you were in hot pursuit of the Griggs guys. When you slid thru 1 I was really bummed. I've told you top runners this many times, you guys ROCK out there. I've learned a lot this year because of the help form you and the rest of the group. See ya at your FAVORITE track, CMP.:D

wreckm
08-26-2003, 10:10 PM
It seemed as though the moons were all driving, plus there is no fury like that of a woman! Great time by all and this is why this series is growing like it is. We would love to see Pantas drop back to our group if he wins the title. Hey Jim it looked like the car you got from Tone is ready to race!

Mystic_Cobra
08-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Just took a look at John's videos on the AI site. Thanks John, these make me want to get back out there. SOON!!!

A few comments on the videos...
Clip 1. I think you are letting off the gas to early into that turn (NASCAR 3, is it?). I remember staying on the gas for another 3 or 4 car lengths. Maybe the other guys can correct me if I'm wrong.
Clip 2. You probably figured this one out, but were you just going too fast into the infield or was it slippery? Is this where the others that I heard about were spinning?
Clip 3. I'd have been ducking when those guys went blowing by me. ;)

Nice job!!! :thumbsup:

wildhorsesracin
08-28-2003, 11:07 AM
my $.02 on the videos:

1) don't lift in NASCAR 3 - left foot brake instead :eek: :eek:
2) you are too far left to enter the infield, you need to sweep wider and apex at the grass... :thumbsup:

johnbasf
08-28-2003, 05:14 PM
Jimmy, Sunday I was holding on longer going into NASCAR 3. I think Beau was the reason for that.

I really wasn't going too fast in the infield it was pushing.

Pantas, you're right about turn 1. I talked to Lester after the race and he said to NEVER alter your line for anybody. It was just another rookie mistake. I was normally taking 1 wider.

Thanks for the pointers.