PDA

View Full Version : mac exhaust

'96LaserRed
09-03-2003, 11:42 AM
I was wondering if any of you have, or have heard, the Mac cat back exhaust? I have a BBK off road h pipe and factory mufflers. I am looking for something as quiet as stock but without the restriction.

tcrews
09-03-2003, 12:28 PM
Your stock cat-back and mufflers are creating almost zero restrictions. The MAC cat-back is LOUD. Since you are running an off-road pipe just about any cat-back you add is going to increase the volume of your exhaust.

The '96-'98 cars had extremely efficient cat-backs/mufflers. If you like the way your car sounds (volume and tone) I wouldn't worry about spending the money to change out your cat-back.

GeoSnake
09-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Don't go w/ the Mac cat-back if you have an off-road pipe...especially if you want to be "as quiet as stock"!!!!!
I welded in Mac Flowpaths last Moday (I have an off-road h) and had them taken out six days latter because it was way, way, way too LOUD!

cobrabitn
09-03-2003, 12:45 PM
Ed Burwell has the MAC catback and it rocks! :rotf: I want to get a set for my 99 Cobra with the OR pipe. He has 3 inch pipes and it is loud and obnoxious..... I love it!! :thumbsup:

'96LaserRed
09-03-2003, 03:03 PM
the reason i think that there is a little restriction is because after the car is warmed up i still get a little "pop" when the motor revs down. also when i am running it hard on the street and i shift, it sounds as if the car is back firing

tcrews
09-03-2003, 04:16 PM
That just means you are running a little rich. It's dyno proven that mufflers/cat-backs on the '96-'98 year models don't offer any power improvements. Even supercharged 400rwhp cars gain little to none in power.

Look into a timing adjuster to bump your timing a little or getting a MAFterburner to tune your A/F a little.

Timing adjuster - advance/retard timing - $179 (I think)
MAFterburner - increase/decrease fuel trims in Open-loop and Closed-loop operation - $300-$360

'96LaserRed
09-03-2003, 05:01 PM
thanks for the help. another question...i have a chance to buy a set of BBK ceramic coated shortys for $175. worth the hassle of installation versus power gains?

tcrews
09-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Won't work since BBK only makes longtubes for these cars. JBA and Ford make shorties and Bassani now makes a mid-length header.

Mr. Ed
09-03-2003, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the "flowers" el Presidente! You bet it's loud, obnoxious, irritating to many. A friend from down the street stopped by last evening to tell me he can hear me enter and leave the neighborhood 3 & 4 blocks away.(Heckle Blvd, Constitution Blvd, and all thro Tyson's Forest neighborhood).:eek: He loves it! He's also a T/A owner.:eek: There is increased Police presence in my neighborhood(s) lately. I can't imagine why!:rolleyes: :rotf: :D Goodness! There has to be a ruling countermeasure to the neighborhood Ricers and I'M IT! Rock 'N Roll! OBTW, sounds good out on the freeway heading to Helen, Ga. Right, Tony?:thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake
09-04-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by tcrews
That just means you are running a little rich. It's dyno proven that mufflers/cat-backs on the '96-'98 year models don't offer any power improvements. Even supercharged 400rwhp cars gain little to none in power.

Look into a timing adjuster to bump your timing a little or getting a MAFterburner to tune your A/F a little.

Timing adjuster - advance/retard timing - $179 (I think)
MAFterburner - increase/decrease fuel trims in Open-loop and Closed-loop operation - $300-$360

Hi Tom,
I have the MAC O/R H and Flowmaster Cat-back. Mine also will backfire if I get on it hard(on the shift). People tell me it's normal and just unburnt fuel. At my last dyno, I was running pig rich, so I'm guessing that's what it is. My tailpipes are really black all the time also.

Should I get a tune to lean it out a bit? And would I get more power leaning it out?

Craig

'96LaserRed
09-04-2003, 01:36 PM
craig, do you have 2 or 3 chamber flowmaster exhaust? How does it sound with your o/r pipe?

tcrews
09-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by 2KWhiteSnake
Hi Tom,
I have the MAC O/R H and Flowmaster Cat-back. Mine also will backfire if I get on it hard(on the shift). People tell me it's normal and just unburnt fuel. At my last dyno, I was running pig rich, so I'm guessing that's what it is. My tailpipes are really black all the time also.

Should I get a tune to lean it out a bit? And would I get more power leaning it out?

Craig

Yep, the backfiring is unburnt fuel igniting in the tailpipes....sometimes you can even shoot flames out the back if you are really rich. But...being as that's wasted fuel it would be best to correct the condition.

If you aren't planning any more mods for a while a tune would help you out....especially since you said you are runing pig rich. I hate recommending a dyno-tune until you are pretty much modded out as it's expensive to get re-dynotuned after each mod. Plus tuning a relatively stock car doesn't gain enough to justify the expense.

However.....if your car is running rich (and pig rich at that) then a tune could give you some more power AND also increase your gas mileage!

2KWhiteSnake
09-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by '96LaserRed
craig, do you have 2 or 3 chamber flowmaster exhaust? How does it sound with your o/r pipe?

It sounds incredible(2 chamber). I hear the MAC flowpaths sound great too. It's VERY loud though, and I get a lot of drone at about 64mph. If you keep the windows down, it's not too bad.

Tom,
I do shoot flames out the back from time to time. At the Jackson event last Nov, a few friends noticed it during some passes.

I've pretty much done all the mods I'm gonna do for a while. I am going to pull the diablo chip out though. It is the reason I'm so rich. I have comparison dyno's from the year before at ATS in Columbia and the chip gave me a lot more fuel. ATS told me they could do a tune for me. They said they use superchips and what they do is email superchips the dyno and they write a program for your car on the spot, then ATS will burn it. Maybe that's the route I should take, unless you know someone else around here.

John Pearson recommended Turbo Tune in Greensboro.

Oh........one more thing. Should I just let the chip do the timing, or should I get a timing adjuster?

Craig

tcrews
09-04-2003, 03:33 PM
I'd go with Turbo Tune and get Randy Haywood to do the tuning for you with an Autologic chip. Much more tuning ability with that software and I prefer someone who is working on my car while on the dyno to be in charge of tuning it versus sending a graph and someone..somewhere making changes and emailing them back.

If you are spending the money for a tune, don't waste your money on the timing adjuster. The chip can do it all for you and better (add some here, pull some there, etc..the adjuster is all or nothing).

2KWhiteSnake
09-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Thanks Tom,
Randy Haywood is at Turbo Tune...or is he at True Blue?

tcrews
09-04-2003, 03:57 PM
He's a free agent right now.....he works out of most any shop on the east (except True Blue). He can even do it at ATS, I had him come down and tune my car at ATS.

Randy and True Blue have parted ways....as of about a year ago.

Smashedheadcat (Josh) on here has Randy's cell number so you could PM him and get that info and then make arrangements between Randy and Turbo Tune (or any shop with a dyno and wideband meter).

Last I heard, Randy charged a flat rate of $475 for the chip and tuning and then you'd have to pay for whatever time you used on the dyno with the shop. If you already had an Autologic chip he charges by the hour to reburn it instead of the flat rate.

2KWhiteSnake
09-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Tom, does Randy reside in Greensboro? I'd probably wanna keep it close to home for him.

How did he burn a chip at ATS? Does he carry around a laptop with all the equipment, etc?

tcrews
09-04-2003, 08:21 PM
I believe Randy is in the Raleigh area.

He brings his laptop, a chip and his eprom burner (attached to his laptop). He uses the dyno and wide-band at whatever shop to see what's going on and makes changes as neccessary. He've EXTREMELY knowledgable about what he's doing and he'll talk to you about it if you have any questions on what he's doing.

He'll have your computer laying in your passenger floor while working on the car...he'll make a pull, see where you are and make changes. He installs the chip, makes another pull and sees the results. He then pulls the chip, makes some changes and reburns it. He repeats the process until he feels comfortable with the tune.

smashedheadcat
09-06-2003, 01:19 AM
Yeah, Randy is awesome. If you go up to him and ask him questions about what he's doing when it comes to tuning, he'll gladly answer them. I kinda bounced between Tom (tcrews) and Randy with the questions that I had. Randy said my car came into tune very easily, even with the FMU. It took me 1 hour on the dyno, 1 aborted run (first one) and 2 runs with tweaks. The 5th run was just a minor adjustment, and the last run was with a 20 minute cool down. Randy asked about any drivability issues I may have had like partial throttle missing and all that stuff, and he ironed them right out. I was quoted $450 for an autologic chip (4-position) and tuning. Then, whatever I had to pay into for the dyno time (ATS dyno day). Randy said my car fell into tune easily, and was charged less then I was quoted. Randy's called a few times asking if I was satisfied with the tune, and also telling me to give him a call when I'm ready to up the boost. Randy left True Blue in late april, so he's not there anymore obviously. I don't know if there's any bad blood between them or not, but True Blue had nothing bad to say when I told them I had Randy tuned my car. If you want to get ahold of Randy, shoot me a PM and I'll get you his number.

2KWhiteSnake
09-06-2003, 02:39 PM
I shot you an email. :bounce:

Thanks again,
Craig