PDA

View Full Version : Gears ?

laserred
09-03-2003, 09:53 PM
I am considering getting 4.30's after several debates on rpm levels, mph and drivability. I am convinced that everyday driving might not be so bad, or even highway driving, but if I wanted to go say, VIR ( Virginia International Raceway ) and do road course racing, how would 4.30's affect my driving there. That track is almost a 3 and a 1/2 mile course with a huge straight away past a place on the track called the oak tree , for those who know about it, and along with being a straight line race fan, I am a road course fan as much, if not more. I want the best of both worlds. will some one tell me if 4.30's would be good there? Or should I go with the 4.10's and sacrifice those few tenths of a second at the 1/4 mile? HELP!!!:eek:

laserred
09-05-2003, 05:22 PM
I know this gears talk is getting tiresome to some people, and I hate to keep asking, but can someone give me some advice on this thread above? I hate asking the questions on the same topic, but as it is to most of you as well, the best things for my car have to start with the right choices, and I need input this topic to make my final choice. Any help would be greatly appreciated:bounce:

tnturbo
09-05-2003, 06:24 PM
If all you are going to do is a few open track events I would still go with the 4.30s. Normal driving will be much more fun, strip times will be faster. Only thing is you'll have to switch to 5th on that long straight and it will hurt you acceleration some. If it were a dedicated open track or road race car you might be better off with higher gears, but for multi purpose use stick with 4.30s. Also regarding the straight 4.10s would still require the shift to 5th. If you are debating 4.10 vs. 4.30 the difference is minimal anyway.